EVO All Evo Model Discussion

AMS Oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 02:25 PM
teamstersteward
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i have used crisco oil for frying and have had good results.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:21 PM
tujo33
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

never meant to start an oil war just have never used it in anything and thought I'd see. Thanks for the opinions

Old 11-26-2010, 06:59 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

Personally, I love a good oil thread. And we get to see "That" picture again. LOL

Old 11-26-2010, 07:54 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BB4xl
I crack up every time I see that picture! Oil threads are the bane of this forum... but they are for some reason irresistible.

I promised myself I wouldn't go through another oil thread, but for some reason I'm doing it anyway. I am not using AMSOil right now, because I got some good deals on Mobil 1 recently.

I have used AMSOil in all three "places" (I just can't bring myself to say "holes" again...) Frankly I think it's the single best oil out there. If you read the reports that have been done by multiple parties, AMSOil rates right at the top. Of course, you can find info to support virtually any oil "religion" to which you decide to subscribe...

That said, I am currently using Mobil 1 V-Twin Syn 20W-50 in the engine, Mobil 1 Syn ATF Multi-Vehicle Formula in the primary, and Mobil 1 75W-140 LS Syn Gear Lube (Light truck and SUV formula) in the tranny. I can't tell any real difference with the Mobil 1 V-Twin Syn 20W-50 in the engine. The Mobil 1 Syn ATF works very well in the primary, and makes finding neutral easier than either AMSOil MCV or H-D Syn 3 did. The Mobil 1 Syn gear lube in the tranny seems to make it shift noticeably smoother, with less "clunking" than anything else I have run in it - including AMSOil MCV 20W-50 or Syn3.

So there you have it... anecdotal opinions, admittedly NOT based on running "this" or "that" syn or dino or french fry oil for 30,000 miles in a particular engine...

All told, I would happily run AMSOil MCV 20W-50, at least in the engine, forever... I really do think it's the best engine oil you can buy. Maybe not BETTER than all others... but none better than it...

How's THAT for "oily religion"???

Hope everyone had a GREAT Thanksgiving!

Old 11-30-2010, 08:31 AM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

agree, no better than any other name brand oil. when any product has to go on and on about how great they are then somethings wrong. any product worth its weight doesnt have to advertise much. as my grandfather use to say = a rich man doesnt have to brag about how much money he has. they talked about how great there oil is to a point that i feel like im being pressured by a high pressure salesman. like = hey get out of my face already. in fact that one of the reasons i dont use it. a friend of mine put it in his old 90,s fxr and now has oil leaks all over the place, now the bike shouldnt of leaked but it did. no ill stick to good old castrol, after all i had a 454 chevy that i put 300,000 miles on with it. important thing is to change your oil every 3,000 or 4,000 miles.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:10 AM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally don't use Amsoil. I'm sure it's a quality product, I just can't get past the multi-level marketing scheme they use to sell it. Reminds me too much of Amway. If the stuff is that good, just put it in the stores like everyone else. I don't want to have to look for a distributor who might try to sign me up to be a distributor so I can get a discount on the product. I just want to go to the store and pick up 4 quarts.

And don't try to baffle me with some "3 ball wear test" that no one else uses to test their oil but you. Again, I'm sure it's a good product from all the anecdotal evidence that users on these boards provide. But it's just oil, not a new religion.

BTW, I've been cruising the different Harley message board for well over ten years now and have maybe seen 2 or 3 engine failures that could have been attributed to poor quality lubrication. So these oil threads are mostly just mental masturbation. Most any oil out there will likely provide good service if changed regularly.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:44 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by omgtkk
I personally don't use Amsoil. I'm sure it's a quality product, I just can't get past the multi-level marketing scheme they use to sell it. Reminds me too much of Amway. If the stuff is that good, just put it in the stores like everyone else. I don't want to have to look for a distributor who might try to sign me up to be a distributor so I can get a discount on the product. I just want to go to the store and pick up 4 quarts.

And don't try to baffle me with some "3 ball wear test" that no one else uses to test their oil but you. Again, I'm sure it's a good product from all the anecdotal evidence that users on these boards provide. But it's just oil, not a new religion.

BTW, I've been cruising the different Harley message board for well over ten years now and have maybe seen 2 or 3 engine failures that could have been attributed to poor quality lubrication. So these oil threads are mostly just mental masturbation. Most any oil out there will likely provide good service if changed regularly.
Yeah - I have to agree with what you say. Any oil will work, and all should be changed regularly... long before any viscosity breakdown, etc. would ever occur. It seems like they would sell a lot more AMSOil if they just put it in stores as you said. I have seen it in a combined Yamaha/Kawasaki/etc dealer here, but never anywhere else... and they wanted like $14/qt or something really insane like that for the stuff.

Bertha also started leaking when I put the AMSOil in her the first time. I have read that it scrubs away gunk to the extent that gaskets can start leaking. Don't know if that's true - but Bertha definitely did start leaking in several places with the AMSOil (engine and primary), and she hadn't been leaking anywhere before. She doesn't seem to leak like that with the Mobil 1 now.

I was in Amway for about a year many years ago - until I realized that it really was very much like a religion. I got out of that when they wanted to come to my house and make me get rid of ANYTHING that was not Amway. I refused to live according to their fanatical rules.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:06 AM
Trex
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mtairy biker
SNAKE OIL !!!!!!!!!!!
Here is my cam I used amsoil from day one - 32K .I think it is a lace of luberecation.
Wipe that thing clean then take another picture

Old 12-02-2010, 04:54 AM
Brettfullthrottle
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I use Amsoil.I have a friend that runs Dyno oil in his 2005 bagger and has never rebuilt it-the only thing he has done is the cam chain tensioners! Pretty amazing considering he has over 160K on the motor!!! He has me thinking about going back to dyno oil!

Old 12-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by omgtkk
I personally don't use Amsoil. I'm sure it's a quality product, I just can't get past the multi-level marketing scheme they use to sell it. Reminds me too much of Amway.
Words of wisdom. I'm sure AMSOIL works just fine, but so do a lot of other oils out there.