EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Am I missing something...Float?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 06:22 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts
Default Am I missing something...Float?

I have been through my carb more than a few times for various reasons. Jetting, cleaning, leaking, ect.... I even replaced my needle and seat once. But every so often it would **** fuel out the overflow. I know why it would do it, the float was too high. You can flip the carb over and the float went too high into the body before it sat the needle. Hell I just pulled the bowl and pushed up on the float and it was too high. Its my understanding that the float is supposed to be perfectly level or "parallel" with the body itself when the needle seals to the seat. But WTF!!! Is there is no way to adjust the dang float like the old carbs? Its hard plastic, not the traditional brass float that can be bent into the correct position.

Anyways, here's what I did and why I am asking. I pulled the plastic float off the carb, fired up the old Zippo and heated the float till the mounting tangs were hot and soft enough to be bent just a tad. Now the float sits perfectly level in the carb body, and try as I might it just CAN'T get the thing to leak out the overflow.....FINALLY its fixed!!!

So, is this what a person has to do on these freaking carbs? Did I miss something. Did I do it wrong? What else should I have done or whats the correct procedure? Seems flaming a carb part is a bit primitive.

Too late now I guess, but I'd like to know for future reference.
Neil

Last edited by bikerlaw; 11-23-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:24 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

OK I guess I will have to ask the obvious, "which carb do you have"???

Old 11-23-2010, 07:54 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Keihin CV carburetor.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:36 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Damn, I miss that schit.....................

not really.

Take-offs are reasonable.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:07 PM
woodnbow
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's no big deal really. The tang that engages the float needle can be bent to suit using a standard screwdriver. Easy peasy, the first time you see it done you're gonna kick yourself... How do I know??

Old 11-23-2010, 09:12 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by woodnbow
It's no big deal really. The tang that engages the float needle can be bent to suit using a standard screwdriver. Easy peasy, the first time you see it done you're gonna kick yourself... How do I know??
LOL. You know what. I looked at that and thought the same thing. Then I thought, $hit...I'll bend that sucker and break it right off. So in my infinite wisdom, I lit it on fire. Dang-it. I knew there had to be an easier way.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:58 PM
woodnbow
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"So in my infinite wisdom, I lit it on fire."

LOL! Thanks for that! I didn't resort to fire but it sure had me puzzled. My local indy showed me how to adjust it, didn't make any smart *** remarks or anything. I pay extra for that service...

Old 11-23-2010, 11:12 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

on my mukuni, the book calls for something like 21 mm from the body of the carb to the top of the float.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:30 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

"the book"
Yeah, I really need to get one of those. I keep meaning to, but I just keep putting it off. I keep telling myself so much has been changed on the bike I don't need it, but then this stuff keeps happening.....sigh. I guess I'll scour ebay for a used CV float and put it in. Honestly, the bike is fixed and running just fine and the overflow issue is resolved, I'm just sure I significantly shortened the life expectancy of that float by heating and melting it so it would behoove me to put a new one in over winter and adjust it correctly.
Thanks.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:21 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i downloaded everything I needed from the Mukuni web site. Cost me zero!

Quick Reply: Am I missing something...Float?