Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,399 Likes on 5,006 Posts

Time to update my ignore list...

Old 12-19-2010, 05:39 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

So, what I got outta this is that the twinkie filter has a check valve that when installed on an evo would prevent oil flow due to placement of the filter? Damn good info, it'd be like running my evo with no oil!! Or no filtered oil.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:49 AM
PKS98S
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I let a HD dealership talk me into a long filter for my 98 Dyna. When I installed it, it was resting against the stator plug. I called the dealership and they said "don't worry about it... it won't hurt anything". Went to Daytona in October which was about 290 mile round-trip plus riding around town during the day. When I returned home, I found oil seeping from around the stator plug coming through the primary. I called the dealer that sold me the longer filter and they gave me the old "gosh I don't know why that would be happening BS". So I went to a different HD dealership and simply asked for a filter for my 98 Dyna. They gave me a short filter. I asked about a longer filter and their repsonse was it will not work "because it will hit the stator plug and there is no benefit to it". I bought the shorter filter and then explained to them why I asked. They look at my bike and said that is exactly what can happen due to vibration and heat pushing the plug back toward the inside of the case. They told me if it gets worse the only thing to do is replace the stator. Luckily so far, I was able to clean it really good and with a small touch-up brush was able to get some RTV gasket silicone under the plug flange between the case and it has been good now for several weeks and miles.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:25 PM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PKS98S
I let a HD dealership talk me into a long filter for my 98 Dyna. When I installed it, it was resting against the stator plug. I called the dealership and they said "don't worry about it... it won't hurt anything". Went to Daytona in October which was about 290 mile round-trip plus riding around town during the day. When I returned home, I found oil seeping from around the stator plug coming through the primary. I called the dealer that sold me the longer filter and they gave me the old "gosh I don't know why that would be happening BS". So I went to a different HD dealership and simply asked for a filter for my 98 Dyna. They gave me a short filter. I asked about a longer filter and their repsonse was it will not work "because it will hit the stator plug and there is no benefit to it". I bought the shorter filter and then explained to them why I asked. They look at my bike and said that is exactly what can happen due to vibration and heat pushing the plug back toward the inside of the case. They told me if it gets worse the only thing to do is replace the stator. Luckily so far, I was able to clean it really good and with a small touch-up brush was able to get some RTV gasket silicone under the plug flange between the case and it has been good now for several weeks and miles.

Of course I could be mistaken. But, I've come to believe that HD has narrowed its selection a bit. The dealer I buy from only has a short and what I call extra long filter. The "mid size" filter that I recall having on my bike for many years previous does not appear to be available any longer. As for your story, thats a primary reason that I rarely shop at the dealer. Most of the guys I find there do not ride and have no clue about anything EVO. There are some, but I find them to be few and far between. BTW, the stator issue is as old as the EVO, very common..