EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Heindl Cruiser Stand

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 11:32 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Question Heindl Cruiser Stand

Has anyone ever seen this in person or used one? It looks amazingly simple in it's design and almost too good to be true. I'm wondering how hard it is to get the bike up on it? How stable is it? Can it be taken off the stand with only one person, etc? I checked You Tube and the Mfg. website and no videos of it in operation. I am really considering getting one as I recently had a leak in my rear tire that a lift like this would have come in handy for. It looks like it would store standing against a wall or hung on a nail unlike the other bulky lifts that are on wheels, have hydraulics that can leak/fail, etc.

http://www.heindlengineering.com/Onl...iser_Stand.htm

Old 10-25-2010, 05:01 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts

I haven't used that brand but had a similar one I used on my Glide for a while. Look how high that wheel is off the ground! That is 600+ pounds up in the air! Mine was not easy to use, needed two to feel safe when raising my bike, although I could get it down by myself. I use a hydraulic bike jack now. Check the prices and see how the two types compare. I think my jack was cheaper than the stand!

Old 10-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Tactical111
Road Master

Thanks, GR, good points. Maybe there's a reason there aren't any videos of the thing in use? My bike seems to sit real low too so I'm imagining that 800 lbs. balanced on that thing assuming I could even get it up there. Have an email into the Mfg. about a vid clip to see someone actually using it. Will let you know if they respond.

Ha! Got an email from Heindl with this link showing the two types of stands. It doesn't look too bad and he is lifting a Harley. Jury's still out though I do like the simplicity and only want to lift one tire at a time anyway. Will let you know if I get one and how it works.

http://www.oncycles.com/catalog.asp?pn=MCS00252

Last edited by Tactical111; 10-25-2010 at 11:39 AM. Reason: add info
Old 10-25-2010, 12:39 PM
Tactical111
Road Master

Right, and if you look closely there's another guy holding the bike by the handlebars as he lowers it. Still deciding though...

Old 10-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,883 Likes on 1,420 Posts

I use a similar device that my friend was making in the 80's. I can lift my bike by myself. I hold onto the tour pack luggage rail while I bar the lever down. As soon as the bike starts to come up, then it's 2 hands on the lever and the bike comes right up. I had a similar device that folded up for storage that a friend gave me. I could lift my bike with it too, but that one took some serious work because the lever was not as long. As far as stability goes, my bike is more stable on that kind of lift than on the hydraulic ones, and I have one of those too, but only use it when I want both wheels up off the ground or want to just have the bike upright with both wheels on the ground, as I welded on an extra stop point so it will lock just as my bike comes level.

I have no trouble letting it down by myself either. Just make sure the kick stand is down, lift the bar until the wheel is back on the ground, grab onto the tour pack and let it ease on over to the kick stand.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Thumbs up "With a big enough lever...

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
I use a similar device that my friend was making in the 80's. I can lift my bike by myself. I hold onto the tour pack luggage rail while I bar the lever down. As soon as the bike starts to come up, then it's 2 hands on the lever and the bike comes right up. I had a similar device that folded up for storage that a friend gave me. I could lift my bike with it too, but that one took some serious work because the lever was not as long. As far as stability goes, my bike is more stable on that kind of lift than on the hydraulic ones, and I have one of those too, but only use it when I want both wheels up off the ground or want to just have the bike upright with both wheels on the ground, as I welded on an extra stop point so it will lock just as my bike comes level.

I have no trouble letting it down by myself either. Just make sure the kick stand is down, lift the bar until the wheel is back on the ground, grab onto the tour pack and let it ease on over to the kick stand.
I can move the world"...or even a Harley. I tend to agree with you, Doc, as far as stability, etc. I really like the looks/construction of that Heindl lift; think I'll go with it and report back the results.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:28 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts

I have seen plans for a similar lift we can make ourselves. It involves a short length of timber and a length of steel pipe and costs a few bucks for parts from a local builder's merchant. Timber is rectangular in cross-section, so it will slide under the bike. The pipe enables it to be twisted until it is on its edge, when the bike is lifted to the height of the long side. Wish I could remember where I saw it!

Old 10-26-2010, 12:29 PM
joe28
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Off road guys have been using one of those stands for years.
I've made a few over the years for myself. The last one had a adjustable bolt in the base for my trials bikes and MX bikes.
They work well, (if you position it under the frame correctly).
On my off road bikes, I slip it under, get it "wedged" and hold the bike with my 2 hands and push down with my foot to "lock" it in place, (the handle keeps it from going past 90 degrees).
Joe
If you look at anything long enough, you can make one with a "bitchen" set of tools, a welder and a few beers!

Old 10-26-2010, 01:14 PM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen the plans for the one that Graham mentioned in a couple of places. Here's a link to the one described at nightrider:

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm

Old 10-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

One really good idea when you are using any kind of device to raise your bike, is to bungy the kick stand in the down and forward position. Then when you let it down it will always go on the stand as long as it leans to the left to start with. I generally raise and lower mine from the right side, and when using the bungee I don't have to worry if the kick stand is locked down or not.

Quick Reply: Heindl Cruiser Stand