Fxr (s)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 05:48 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by BlackBastard
Artlee, I was asking. I wish Harley would provide rim sizes. I'll be looking for a 3.5 inch rear wheel for my FXR4. Going to look to install a 150mm rear tire using thinner belt and sprocket.
I have a 150/80 Avon Venom on my 3" rim in my 1990 FLHS. That is the widest tyre Avon recommend for that rim size. I also have a narrow belt, although I got that with a later spec wheel (1" bearings). Be aware that if you have 3/4" tapered roller wheel bearings the hole in the centre of your rear pulley is slightly smaller in diameter than the later narrow pulleys, also offset in the pulley is different.

I actually fitted a 2007 swingarm, rear wheel and brake, which proved more complicated than I anticipated. There's a surprise! The front pulley is much wider than the rear and will tolerate significant realignment of the belt line.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:33 AM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Artlee, I was asking. (snip)
Yea the weather is nice here in Florida - Tallahassee. Originally from Millinocket, Maine.
Hey BB! It is snowing in Millinocket today.
I have been to, through and stayed in Millinocket more times than I can count.
I had lots of family living in Millinocket, though most have moved elsewhere or passed on. Here is a picture you may recognize. Took this at the Rt 11 rest area beside South Twin Lake.
Good to meet you BB, all the best and ride safe.
Art

Attached Thumbnails Fxr (s)-dsc03337.jpg  
Old 04-01-2011, 01:16 PM
BlackBastard
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Artlee
Hey BB! It is snowing in Millinocket today.
I have been to, through and stayed in Millinocket more times than I can count.
I had lots of family living in Millinocket, though most have moved elsewhere or passed on. Here is a picture you may recognize. Took this at the Rt 11 rest area beside South Twin Lake.
Good to meet you BB, all the best and ride safe.
Art
Great picture, thanks for sharing. And that water is cold! Every other year I ride the bike up to Limestone and into Grand Falls, Canada to visit my son, daughter and grandkids.

I ride a 2002 Road King now and later this month I will be picking up a 2000 Tangerine FXR4. I'll PM you with my contact information. If I ride up this summer, I'll give you a call.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:18 PM
BlackBastard
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I have a 150/80 Avon Venom on my 3" rim in my 1990 FLHS. That is the widest tyre Avon recommend for that rim size. I also have a narrow belt, although I got that with a later spec wheel (1" bearings). Be aware that if you have 3/4" tapered roller wheel bearings the hole in the centre of your rear pulley is slightly smaller in diameter than the later narrow pulleys, also offset in the pulley is different.

I actually fitted a 2007 swingarm, rear wheel and brake, which proved more complicated than I anticipated. There's a surprise! The front pulley is much wider than the rear and will tolerate significant realignment of the belt line.
Thanks for the roller wheel bearing info.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great picture, thanks for sharing. And that water is cold! Every other year I ride the bike up to Limestone and into Grand Falls, Canada to visit my son, daughter and grandkids.

I ride a 2002 Road King now and later this month I will be picking up a 2000 Tangerine FXR4. I'll PM you with my contact information. If I ride up this summer, I'll give you a call.
Sounds good BB. Interestingly, my family homestead is just below Perth NB. I may finally get a passport so that I can go back to Canada, or least come back from Canada.
Ride safe.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:29 AM
sportglideride62
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stroker23
1985 FXRT owned since 1991 (third owner). Minor upgrades include ignition, CV police carb w/jet kit but mainly original. Color is burgundy/silver with gold pinstriping. Great bike, opened many doors for me, comfy if one up, stretching it two up. A few years ago I scored an original fairing, bags, tour pack ,crash bar and handle bars at a yard sale for $35. Color didn't match but for the price, I almost wrecked by 96 dresser seeing it along the curb for sale. I couldn't get the money out of wallet fast enough. Still have the original color fairing and bags plus another fairing I got at a swap meet. Old plastic cracks very easy and vibration takes it toll also. Long live FXRs.
t
It is good to see someone else with an FXRT. I have an original 91 FXRT and will not part with the old girl. How does your 4th gear sound?

Old 04-12-2011, 08:43 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-90
1990 FXRS bought new -21 years old this year - no problems other than a loose sprocket nut that resulted in a new sprocket at 46 thousand miles. The bike still runs strong and looks new, a few have even ask if it is a new bike. Photos of trip taken around 1992 or 93 to New Mexico and Colorado - we rode our 89 FLH - my son rode the FXR. We rode from north west of Dallas to Santa Fe in one day, about 450 miles, mostly at 80mph or more on I-40 just keeping up with traffic, great fun. The bike sat for about five years due to illness but with the help of a friend we got her going again and now I ride it every chance I get - not so miles these days but it brings back memories of all the trips we have taken. This has been a great motorcycle not only do I still enjoy riding it I just enjoy looking at my old friend.
Great story and a great looking FXR.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:34 AM
Raf_666
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finished , and proud as hell ;-)

Raf

Last edited by Raf_666; 05-05-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:35 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Raf_666
Finished , and proud as hell ;-)

Raf

Awesome!! Raf Got every right to be proud and with Bragging Rights Besides ..

Old 05-05-2011, 08:39 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Artlee
If you are talking to me BB, it is an HD Thunderstar 19" rim - part # 44322-07.
And if you are talking to me, Thank you very much.

Just ordered the Thunderstar Wheel in Mirror Chrome and a Set of Metz Tires Artlee.. Ran the Tread off of them on the NC Trip .. Hopefully this will be the end of the Changes for a while.. My $10K FXR4 is getting close to a $15K FXR4 ..

Quick Reply: Fxr (s)