EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Fxr (s)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 11:51 PM
elev8rguy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FXR Enthusiast

Hey there fellas! Just got my 87 FXRS a week ago. Looks like the previous owner installed some pretty cool parts on it, but of course I'm gonna add my on touch to it. Great start though. Here are a few things on it so far: S&S 88" big bore kit, Performance Machine forward controls, Screaming Eagle chrome forks, Hooker exhaust, Arlen Ness covers, chrome oil tank, 42HSR Mikuni carb, mini apes with chrome grips, control switches and mirrors. Think I'm gonna address the wheels and tires next, after a few hundred miles with this setup.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:48 AM
chopperNeil
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

ex 92 FXRS owner, crackin bike, on a par with my 95RK but wasnt as comfy for long distances for me...

Old 03-07-2011, 05:40 PM
stroker23
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1985 FXRT owned since 1991 (third owner). Minor upgrades include ignition, CV police carb w/jet kit but mainly original. Color is burgundy/silver with gold pinstriping. Great bike, opened many doors for me, comfy if one up, stretching it two up. A few years ago I scored an original fairing, bags, tour pack ,crash bar and handle bars at a yard sale for $35. Color didn't match but for the price, I almost wrecked by 96 dresser seeing it along the curb for sale. I couldn't get the money out of wallet fast enough. Still have the original color fairing and bags plus another fairing I got at a swap meet. Old plastic cracks very easy and vibration takes it toll also. Long live FXRs.
t

Old 03-08-2011, 07:56 PM
capnfred
Novice

84 FXRDG Custom, lots of mods, including the frame...love it, but still finding all the bugs left by the previous owners....lots of wrong parts, improperly installed parts, and just plain jury rigs...every time I think I have them all found another snake sticks its head out of the hole.... the starter that is in there is wrong.. and I am looking at a motor on Ebay that is from an 84 with enclosed chain... can anyone tell me the difference between the exposed chain and the enclosed one in reference to the starter....mine has the exposed chain,,, but that does not mean anything as it was originally made with a belt drive according to the VIN. any assistance is appreciated..

thanks
capn

Old 03-08-2011, 08:52 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by capnfred
84 FXRDG Custom, lots of mods, including the frame...love it, but still finding all the bugs left by the previous owners....lots of wrong parts, improperly installed parts, and just plain jury rigs...every time I think I have them all found another snake sticks its head out of the hole.... the starter that is in there is wrong.. and I am looking at a motor on Ebay that is from an 84 with enclosed chain... can anyone tell me the difference between the exposed chain and the enclosed one in reference to the starter....mine has the exposed chain,,, but that does not mean anything as it was originally made with a belt drive according to the VIN. any assistance is appreciated..

thanks
capn
The DG or Disc Glide FXR is 84 was supposed to be the only Chain Final Drive FXR Model left .. Although with the changeovers being made from that time period imagine you could have a mix of stuff involved there, early model 84's had Dry Clutch where late 84's had Wet .. Good Luck !!

Old 03-10-2011, 05:12 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

thanks for the link jaystronghawk. i got lost in there. it's full of a lot of great information on the fxr's. i can't wait to tear into mine and freshen it up.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:47 AM
Raf_666
6th Gear

Almost done ;-)

Old 03-28-2011, 03:02 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Looking good there Raf

Old 03-28-2011, 08:55 PM
fc-90
Stage II
Default My great 1990 FXRS

1990 FXRS bought new -21 years old this year - no problems other than a loose sprocket nut that resulted in a new sprocket at 46 thousand miles. The bike still runs strong and looks new, a few have even ask if it is a new bike. Photos of trip taken around 1992 or 93 to New Mexico and Colorado - we rode our 89 FLH - my son rode the FXR. We rode from north west of Dallas to Santa Fe in one day, about 450 miles, mostly at 80mph or more on I-40 just keeping up with traffic, great fun. The bike sat for about five years due to illness but with the help of a friend we got her going again and now I ride it every chance I get - not so miles these days but it brings back memories of all the trips we have taken. This has been a great motorcycle not only do I still enjoy riding it I just enjoy looking at my old friend.

Attached Thumbnails Fxr (s)-img070.jpg   Fxr (s)-img072.jpg   Fxr (s)-img074.jpg  
Old 03-28-2011, 09:12 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey FC-90, welcome to the forum. You seem to be a member in good standing of club FXR. We all enjoy staring at our FXRs; in the garage, at the lot, in a turn out, photos - great in every environment.
Ride safe.

Quick Reply: Fxr (s)