EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Saddlebag lid flew away

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 04:21 PM
MDodson
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saddlebag lid flew away

I had my saddlebag lid fly away last night from my 91 Ultra. I did find what was left of it this morning. Will the newer lids fit on the older bags?

Old 10-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Them things can fly?

Old 10-17-2010, 04:25 PM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

locks are for two reasons.... keeping the wings from flying off the back of those bad boys are one....

okay now the smart *** remarks are over with... what year????

Old 10-17-2010, 04:37 PM
MDodson
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem. I have a 91

Old 10-17-2010, 05:23 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

I don't think the newer ones will fit. I had one fly off on me once. I managed to recover it but it is still a bit battle scarred. Now, I NEVER put the lid on the bag without latching it down, and make a habit of reaching back to make sure they are firmly attached every once in a while when on the road.

Shovelhead bag lids, by the way, would fly off even if firmly locked down. You could open the lid if it was locked by just pushing down and sideways. On the road with the old 79 FLH POS, I would attach bungies over the top of the lids, and from the rails to the tour pack (they flew off too).

Old 10-17-2010, 09:06 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up Bungee in the jungle...

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
I don't think the newer ones will fit. I had one fly off on me once. I managed to recover it but it is still a bit battle scarred. Now, I NEVER put the lid on the bag without latching it down, and make a habit of reaching back to make sure they are firmly attached every once in a while when on the road.

Shovelhead bag lids, by the way, would fly off even if firmly locked down. You could open the lid if it was locked by just pushing down and sideways. On the road with the old 79 FLH POS, I would attach bungies over the top of the lids, and from the rails to the tour pack (they flew off too).
Lost my right bag cover years ago on a group ride. One of the guys behind me picked it up for me as I didn't see it at the time; neither did GF on the back. " What are you doing back there? That's your job to watch that sh*t!" She was not amused. Lid landed in grass off the side of the road so not bad at all plus I have the chrome guards on top of them. Use bungees now and have not lost one since. Those old style rear latches don't hold shat down.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:42 PM
BB4xl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my bike was brand new the Mechanic who prepped it lost a lid on the test ride. Had to ride my brand new bike with a messed up lid for a week untill the new painted one came. I ALWAYS lock them with the key.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:49 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Question Lock tight?

Originally Posted by BB4xl
When my bike was brand new the Mechanic who prepped it lost a lid on the test ride. Had to ride my brand new bike with a messed up lid for a week untill the new painted one came. I ALWAYS lock them with the key.
I think I need to re-rivet ( is that a word?) my latches as they are loose as hell even with them "locked". With those 24" bungees on I know where the lids will stay at all times. Looks cheesie but beats no lid at all.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Moog Player
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Front hinge lids are not compatable with side hinge lids. The trick to not lose the front hinge ones (And shovel bags) is to drill a small hole in the front tab and put a split ring in it. (Small keyring ring) It can come loose, but it won't fly off.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:26 AM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I saw replacement lids in the J&P Cycles catalog.

Quick Reply: Saddlebag lid flew away