Saddlebag lid flew away

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 08:23 AM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up Interesting suggestion...

Originally Posted by Moog Player
Front hinge lids are not compatable with side hinge lids. The trick to not lose the front hinge ones (And shovel bags) is to drill a small hole in the front tab and put a split ring in it. (Small keyring ring) It can come loose, but it won't fly off.
but wouldn't it beat itself to dust in the wind? The bungees hold that sucker down snug and I can forget about it though I still find myself checking for those blue corners in my long stem mirrors occasionally. A few times I've left my house to ride without securing the bungees on and as soon as I realize it make a hasty u-turn and go back and get them. Carry one spare in the right side bag too.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Moog Player
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll notice it flopping around. And that is much better than seeing it run over in the rearview mirror. Bungees look like crap and damage painted finishes. Might as well run 'em over! LOL

Old 10-19-2010, 12:29 AM
BB4xl
Road Master

Anyone try these latches? Mine are still working , but spares would be nice. JP has latches for 30 a piece. Thet are the newer style rivet ones.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...i%3D1&viewitem=

Last edited by BB4xl; 10-19-2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:55 AM
oldbiker771
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moog has the answer on how to secure them, but I only did it after the fact. Never found the left lid. Sent the right one and a new one to Rock and Roll Custom Paintworks. Best stuff I've ever seen. You couldn't tell one from the other. They even matched the amount of fade exactly. With the new lid, paint, hardware, and paying HD to rivet the hardware (Special tool) came to about $600. And they were locked, just old and had a little play in them. If you havent already, secure them, either Moogs way or with 100mph tape, but do it.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:31 AM
Tactical111
Road Master

On mine it seems like the latch itself is ok but the fiberglass wall is worn and the holes oversized so even though the latch starts out tight it works itself loose eventually with all the vibration, slamming over railroad tracks, potholes, etc. I wouldn't trust them even if they were tight hence the bungees. I'm riding; not in a beauty paegent.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:41 AM
BB4xl
Road Master

After they lost my lid the dealership drilled the tabs and put little hitch pins on them as Moog said. I found them to be a PITA. they are little and I would lose them all the time. I just lock them as soon as I close them. My Old lady is always checking to see if I locked them.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:09 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Question Locktight... not...

Originally Posted by BB4xl
After they lost my lid the dealership drilled the tabs and put little hitch pins on them as Moog said. I found them to be a PITA. they are little and I would lose them all the time. I just lock them as soon as I close them. My Old lady is always checking to see if I locked them.
I had tried the "lock" years ago and determined it was pretty useless as both sides bag/lid mechanisms have so much play in them. Tried it again just for fun and the lids pop right up with a little pressure/wiggling. Guess I'll be the ugly toad at the ball with the bungees.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:55 PM
BB4xl
Road Master

I have replaced my latches a few times over the years. They are pretty tight. The ones on my Tour pac are the rivet kind and there is alitle slop in them. Tactical111 I would do what ever works. Like you said it aint a beauty contest. An Guy I used to ride with would say" I am a rider not a polisher". I was looking at those latches I saw posted on Ebay. The guy has good feed back from HD owners. I have put new gaskets on the side bags so they fit tight when I latch them. If I go with the Ebay ones I will let everyone know the outcome. Probably won't buy them untill spring though.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Yeah, if the lids are loose, that's your problem. You need new rubber gasket thingies. I bought some from mcmaster.com and added some extra 3M door/trunk gasket sement (black) to get it to stick well.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:04 PM
Len
Road Captain

yikes!
Can't help with your question - but, I ALMOST had it happen - my honey saw it open up - grabbed it; and got me to stop.
We locked the lids and always lock them now . . I'm amazed how easily the screws pop out from the hinges - got some locktite now!

Quick Reply: Saddlebag lid flew away