EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Historical day!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 02:37 AM
Holster Maker
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Historical day!

Today I did something very new to me. I put a set of stock '03 catted dual exh pipes on my bike ('94) and took off my Thunderheader w/diy-baffle. I have never ridden "my" Harley's with stock exhausts before, what a difference!
I bought take offs. Sooo new and shiny I decided to try them. I was ready for a change (duals), but with some other type of dual slip-ons, not these catted mufflers.
Now I'm not sure!
During start/warm-up the bike ran much better, but had more vibes from back pressure. So a test ride....it was nice I would have to admit, much more torque..... I actually believe my mileage will go up, by judging how much gas I used....time will tell.
Now I'm confused............... Maybe I'll open them up a little..........I do like the dual look!
Yrs ago I cut cats out of 2 bros' bikes and noticed no sound diff., so I don't believe the cat produces less sound in my experience.
We have punched holes in the baffles, now it is kinda hard to do with the slants of the baffles (nothing to bite). Any suggestions?
What FLHT slip-ons to buy that's not real loud?

However, after reading a bunch of stuff about loud pipe laws in Can (96 d's at hwy spd, if passes), Cal's new exh law ('13's+), the laws will be coming...I'm sure of that I hate to say!
Anyway...very diff day...today!

Old 10-16-2010, 04:48 AM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I found a pretty good combination is the 4" CVO mufflers with the Fullsac 1.75 baffles. You can find them used and in great shape for about $200.00 and the baffles are $100 or so http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?board=27.0 has several howto threads and Steve posts dyna reports as he sets up new exhausts on customer's bikes.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:13 AM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have B&E Superflows with 2" baffles, they also make 1.75" and 2.5". Mine are only really loud when I accelerate or at freeway speeds. I gotta believe that the 1.75s would be quieter. They are very reasonably priced.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:54 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pipes... so many choices! I have several sets of pipes that I change out on Bertha like a girl changes her jewelry.

I run V&H Dresser Dual headers. I love the look and sound of my straight-thru unbaffled fishtail slip-ons - but they are VERY LOUD and really suck at low-end torque. I installed a 5/16" thumbscrew in them with a 1" head positioned at 90 degrees acroos the pipes and the rear end - and that quiets them and reduces the "reversion roar" when I decelerate.

My V&H Big Ovals (in my sig pic right now) are much quieter, are made to go with the V&H dual headers, give great performance (no low-end torque hole), and are "the thing" for long trips when I don't want the roar of the fishtails. They will roar when you really get on it, but at normal throttle settings they just have a nice rumble and are really fairly quiet around town.

I also have an old set of Porker 2 1/4" straight thrus that came on the bike when we bought her - but they are also obnoxiously loud, like the fishtails.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Holster Maker
Tourer

Thanks for the suggestions.
I know for sure they have to be opened-up after riding today. They gave me a headache, the pulses are being held back causing vibes....maybe because of my enhanced motor needs a little bit more breathing room.
1ST step, I'm going to drill some holes in the cat and see if that helps..I don't care about it anyway.
I'll see what happens...

Old 10-17-2010, 02:34 AM
Holster Maker
Tourer

Well I drilled 6 3/8th" holes in each side and on the first test ride it was a little louder and a lot less vibes, so it is releasing back pressure for sure. These cats are with-in the first quarter of the muffler and would require surgery/welding to remove the growth, which I have done before, but in a hurry now and hate to mess up the nice chrome. I believe they are working fine and actually sound nice on the mountain road I was on.
When I got into town, 2 cops pulled along side me and I felt comfortable. I think this might be "the new me"
Sunday I will give it a real ride and decide.
Got the new take offs for a 100 and this might be the best thing yet, back to duals and less noise!
Probably too late, I have hearing aids too!

Old 10-19-2010, 02:07 AM
Holster Maker
Tourer

N Ga Hawg, Are the big ovals these Monster Ovals #16755?
http://www.vanceandhines.com/product...sterovals.html

This sounds like what I need.......but wow, pricey!