EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 11:47 PM
BB4xl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My carb has an enricher. If i use it, I will pull it just to start and then immediatly shut it. I adj. the idle with the throttle and use the thumb screw to set its RPMs. I don't think you should leave it on while warming up. I just Googled enricher instructions and this came up on another HD forum.

During cold start ups, the enricher pumps extra fuel to your engine, allowing for much easier starts. Once the engine is running, however, all the extra fuel that the enricher provides is just that, extra. Since your engine can't use all of the fuel that is being dumped into it, all of that excess is being dumped onto your spark plugs, causing your engine to hesitate, lose power, idle rough, and smoke.

Once the motorcycle is started you should push the enricher in as far as possible (while still leaving the motorcycle running) and from that point manually control the motorcycle's warm up with a fast idle. In warmer months, try not to use the enricher at all unless it is necessary

Old 10-20-2010, 06:46 AM
peppi
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brino
Jim, thanks so much. I do leave the enricher on till it warms up but, it seems to pull in on its own. Is this not what I should do?
Best to shut off the enricher if it is not needed because excess fuel can contaminate the engine oil.

You can adjust the enricher **** tension so it will stay where you put it by tightening the knurled nut behind the **** a tiny bit but they are plastic so don't overdo it here.

Attached Thumbnails Need help!!-enricher-knob.jpg  
Old 10-20-2010, 09:03 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

I pretty much agree with what has been said above. Harley sets up the carbs so lean that they will not run very well without the enrichner on for a mile or two in cool weather. If the carb has been rejeted, (which most have been), it will run fine without the enrichner pulled out. I do as others have said, and use the enrichner for start up, and then push it in and use the throttle lock thumb screw to hold it to a good idle for warm up. You do want to push it in because even though it will go in on its own, ( if the lock nut is not tight enough ), It may not go all the way and leave you with a still rich setting. I have a K&N air cleaner, and drag pipes on my 99 Softail, and with a 45 pilot jet, and a 180 main jet, and a short warm up of a few minutes, it will run just fine without the enrichner on. The lean setting of not having the enrichner on at warm up will help it to warm up a bit faster since you do not have all that cooling effect of a rich mixture. Sorry; Didn't mean to write a book.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:39 AM
peppi
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

As Jim mentioned above, the proper jetting in the carb can change the way the enricher responds and how much and when it is needed. If you find that you need a lot of enricher to keep it running or to get it running (excessive cranking with enricher on) , chances are there is a #42 or like size low jet in the bike and should be increased for better starting/running. Setting the idle mixture screw properly also comes into play here too in the lower RPM fuel delivery.