EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Balance Master Installed, Very Satisfied

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 06:00 PM
lowflyby
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balance Master Installed, Very Satisfied

I installed the clutch unit and my feet stay on the foot pegs no problem now. Less vibes on the handlebars and at 80mph there's almost no vibes but my Evo is set up differently than most. I have the Dog Bone risers and and a larger rear pulley so I'm turning 2600 rpms at 70 mph. It was a bitch to grind out the primary case for the proper clearance but I'm happy with the results. The vendor on Ebay sent me the wrong one for the compensator sprocket so I'll have to do it all over again when I get the right part. Im hoping to get maybe 20% less vibes after the last part of the install.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:15 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 380 Posts

so what exactly is this that was installed? where did you get it. what does it do. what was the install?

Old 10-13-2010, 09:40 PM
lowflyby
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your not familiar with Balance Masters, use the search function and you'll find tons of threads with mixed reviews. I wanted to share my experience for anyone who is on the fence with my set up.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:46 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here I can help you ... Just googled the product

Performance Without Vibrations! Balance Masters® has introduced the first product available that utilizes active engine balancing technology and is designed exclusively for Harley Davidson engines. The product mounts in sprocket and belt drive positions while additional balancers are available for clutch assemblies. The unique system was designed to improve the inherent balance of an already assembled and functional engine or to be incorporated into one that is being rebuilt. When an engine is being re-built the balancer can be machined into the flywheel to provide what is to be the ultimate in motorcycle engine balancing. This state-of-the-art system eliminates dynamic balancing completely, replacing it with a system that is permanently mounted on the engine and one that adjust as it runs to maintain the engine in as near perfect balance as possible.
The balancer adjusts for piston ring wear, engine oil and other factors such as state of tune. A well balanced engine will experience less internal wear, run more smoothly and of course see a gain in horsepower.

I'd say if you want a smooth ride and less wear on "spinning components" you could throw some dough at the issue. You have to partially tear down the bike to install these devices.

Makes since if you're modifying or repairing an item that could use better "anti-vibration" cure.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:05 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,538 Likes on 22,682 Posts

Originally Posted by lowflyby
I installed the clutch unit and my feet stay on the foot pegs no problem now. Less vibes on the handlebars and at 80mph there's almost no vibes but my Evo is set up differently than most. I have the Dog Bone risers and and a larger rear pulley so I'm turning 2600 rpms at 70 mph. It was a bitch to grind out the primary case for the proper clearance but I'm happy with the results. The vendor on Ebay sent me the wrong one for the compensator sprocket so I'll have to do it all over again when I get the right part. Im hoping to get maybe 20% less vibes after the last part of the install.
It's an evo softail..Soild mounted to the frame.
It'll shake your teeth out..
What do you expect?
The only thing worse is a Pan Head.

One of the reasons I got rid of my 99 FXSTC.
Tired of the constant vibration/shaking..

Old 10-14-2010, 08:17 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

My 99 FXSTC does not shake bad at all up to 80 mph. It is stock except for the drag pipes and K&N air cleaner. And I went from a shaking 84 iron head Sportster that I rode for 23 years. The 99 does have some vibes to be sure, but not that bad. I would not know how to act if there weren't some.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:05 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,274 Likes on 1,314 Posts

I think a lot of female passengers aren't going to be too happy with a product that reduces vibrations on the scooter.

If I ever think my EVO vibrates too much I just go for a spin on the ironhead and that brings it all back in perspective. Did 45 miles last Sunday on that Dinosaur and when I got back to the house my ears were ringing, my entire body was vibrating and tingling, and I was grinning from ear to ear.

I love old bikes.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:38 AM
classof96
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Ok lion, back to the twinke zone you must go.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,768 Likes on 2,018 Posts

I've run the crank balancer on my '94 since '02. It works. Vibration is reduced by about half. It's still there, but manageable.

I went to it because the second remanufactured engine was MUCH more poorly balanced than the original engine. The Balance Masters balancer fixed that.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:34 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,538 Likes on 22,682 Posts

Originally Posted by classof96
Ok lion, back to the twinke zone you must go.
Here was my evo;

Where's your's?

Quick Reply: Balance Master Installed, Very Satisfied