EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Talk about Torque!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 01:07 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,795 Likes on 893 Posts

GR, I have the white sled geared down like you are speaking of and accelleration is fun, 55 mph is in the sweet spot and very very seldom do I need to drop to 4th. Big bike and I'm a donut eater mystifies alot of people on real world riding and accelleration capabilities, Will add a 6 speed this winter, 1 thru 5 will be the same and the .086 6th will work because running 75 mph starts to mess with my thought patterns and I slow down, the engine is built properly to handle long period rpm's but dropping some rpm's would give me some peace of mind.

I don't want to hijack this thread but over the weekend, I found out how the slightest baffle change and a retune can unleash an engine that is holding back. Gear change and a good running engine is fun if you have a little bit of hotrod in ya

Old 10-11-2010, 02:20 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by 1997bagger
GR, I have the white sled geared down like you are speaking of and accelleration is fun, 55 mph is in the sweet spot and very very seldom do I need to drop to 4th. Big bike and I'm a donut eater mystifies alot of people on real world riding and accelleration capabilities, Will add a 6 speed this winter, 1 thru 5 will be the same and the .086 6th will work because running 75 mph starts to mess with my thought patterns and I slow down, the engine is built properly to handle long period rpm's but dropping some rpm's would give me some peace of mind.

I don't want to hijack this thread but over the weekend, I found out how the slightest baffle change and a retune can unleash an engine that is holding back. Gear change and a good running engine is fun if you have a little bit of hotrod in ya
The solution to your messed up thoughts is ear plugs! Try them if you haven't, they cost cents. They are the best tuning aid known to mankind. By reducing noise levels at speed they reduce tension and fatigue, so you can ride further faster - and have calm thoughts at the same time!

Old 10-12-2010, 12:53 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,795 Likes on 893 Posts

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by grbrown
The solution to your messed up thoughts is ear plugs! Try them if you haven't, they cost cents. They are the best tuning aid known to mankind. By reducing noise levels at speed they reduce tension and fatigue, so you can ride further faster - and have calm thoughts at the same time! [/QUOTE
]

I can understand what your are preaching but as a 28 year mechanic, I see rotating mass and mechanical items moving faster and longer for a period of time than they are intended, ear plugs won't change a mechanical based mind, but will I change gearing no, just add one more gear for the highway speeds, best of both worlds.

The only thing I have found that helps make me calm and relaxed is cold beverages at a watering hole with good friends. I do need to use the ear plugs as the wind whistle messes with my hearing. I can't hear a word you guys are saying.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:35 AM
mdanehart
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you have a part number and price on the sprocket and chain...time for some investigation..

Old 10-12-2010, 05:09 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by mdanehart
Do you have a part number and price on the sprocket and chain...time for some investigation..
It's an SE Primary Gear Kit, 40331-02. They seem to be available, having googled it, at around $160.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:25 AM
IronGear
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 96roadking
Graham, are you talking about having changed a sprocket in your primary or a pulley on your final drive? on the subject of 6 speeds, isn't 6th gear essentially just an overdrive (1:1)? So that 1 through 5 ratios are the same as a normal 5 speed? Please correct my ignorance on this.
1:1 is not overdriven. Overdrive is less than1:1.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:27 AM
IronGear
Tourer

Originally Posted by grbrown
Harley tend to use an overdrive sixth of around 0.86:1.
HD dyna and softail 6 speeds are 1:1.
Are you saying touring are different?

Old 10-12-2010, 05:30 AM
IronGear
Tourer

If you want a higher top speed from your HD, LOWER the gearing.
It is way too tall stock to ever pull anywhere near redline.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:33 AM
IronGear
Tourer

[quote=1997bagger;7400154]
]

I can understand what your are preaching but as a 28 year mechanic, I see rotating mass and mechanical items moving faster and longer for a period of time than they are intended, ear plugs won't change a mechanical based mind, but will I change gearing no, just add one more gear for the highway speeds, best of both worlds.

The only thing I have found that helps make me calm and relaxed is cold beverages at a watering hole with good friends. I do need to use the ear plugs as the wind whistle messes with my hearing. I can't hear a word you guys are saying.
Exactly what speed were they intended to turn at?
What if a rider goes faster than another? His engine is turning faster for longer.
Even with lowered gearing, they are not running too fast in top. Not even close. And my 30 years are on HD motorcycles.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:04 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Red face

Originally Posted by IronGear
HD dyna and softail 6 speeds are 1:1.
Are you saying touring are different?
That's not my understanding! I believe they are all over-drive 6th. Baker are the only people I know of who make a direct drive 6-speed.

Quick Reply: Talk about Torque!