EVO All Evo Model Discussion

V+H Baffles. Info. needed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 11:06 AM
BungoBill
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default V+H Baffles. Info. needed.

Ive just removed the Baffles from my V+H mufflers. They were a bit too noisy for the Old 91 Ultra. I had hoped to replace the Baffles with something quieter but I am told these particular V+H Mufflers & Baffles are older and cant be replaced. I have added some pics of the Baffles to see if any of you guys can advise me re. can they be altered,welded up or whatever. I am looking for a kinda "mid range+" sound if poss.
Any suggestions much appreciated. Bungo

Attached Thumbnails V+H Baffles. Info. needed.-v-h-baffles-001.jpg   V+H Baffles. Info. needed.-v-h-baffles-002.jpg   V+H Baffles. Info. needed.-v-h-baffles-003.jpg   V+H Baffles. Info. needed.-v-h-baffles-005.jpg   V+H Baffles. Info. needed.-v-h-baffles-004.jpg  

Last edited by BungoBill; 09-24-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:51 AM
BB4xl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

J&P cycle have some V&H baffles in their cat. and web site. Call them up. The tec guys are cool and will try to help you out. I called once and the guy helped me out. Looked up the right part and made sure it would fit.
ETA. I just noticed you are in Scottland, maybe email would be cheaper

Last edited by BB4xl; 09-24-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:05 PM
texasridr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got some Smartpartz quiet baffles for my V & H Straightshot mufflers on my Wide Glide. I know it's not the same set up, but if you might consider adding them to drop the db's 6-12. I can give you a report after I install them sometime really soon. FWIW, I found the V & H Quiet Baffles to be a little too loud, mainly when riding on the highway, but also for early a.m. start-ups in the driveway.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:41 AM
BungoBill
Road Captain

Originally Posted by texasridr
I just got some Smartpartz quiet baffles for my V & H Straightshot mufflers on my Wide Glide. I know it's not the same set up, but if you might consider adding them to drop the db's 6-12. I can give you a report after I install them sometime really soon. FWIW, I found the V & H Quiet Baffles to be a little too loud, mainly when riding on the highway, but also for early a.m. start-ups in the driveway.
Thanks for inputBB & texas. The Shipping will probably too expensive from US to Scotland. I was hoping for a solution using the existing Baffles but maybe thats not gonna happen! Bungo

Old 09-25-2010, 06:03 AM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I have read posts from guys that were successful making their mufflers quieter by wrapping their baffles with insulation designed for furnaces. I am not sure if it was a type of high heat fiberglass or something TechMat or SilcoSoft. I seem to remember someone talking about a rope insulation designed for furnace doors. At any rate you would need to make sure the packing material is designed to withstand high heat. One fellow wrote is is better if you can keep an air gap between the baffle and insulation, but that could be difficult.
I never did this and only repeating what I think I read.

on edit: I have also read you can also reduce the sound level by sticking a 1/4" bolt through the center of the baffle,and use a couple nuts inside to block the air flow. Thunder City makes baffles that are nothing more than a bolt with a washer that is welded fast, small, simple, easy to install and they work. You can put them in the ends of the header pipes before your current muffler/baffle combination. Anything you do to change the air flow may affect the performance of the muffler.

http://www.bigcitythunder.com/pages /thundermonsters.html

Last edited by pajoe; 09-25-2010 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:37 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member

I found some some exhaust fiberglass wrap material from JC Whitney...I got 2-packages of the material and it seems to work quite well...I have to replace it every 2-months but it helps silence the exhaust and adds a small amount of back-pressure to the exhaust signal which adds a minute torque boost at low RPM's.

I can't post the link to the fiberglass material but the part number is H00166...Click on the link below and enter H00166 in the Search Text-box!!

http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/t...uestid=1989240

Old 09-25-2010, 11:14 PM
BB4xl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every time I have packed my baffles with insulation it doesn't last long. I even tried the HD repack kit ,no big difference. Definitely much quieter with alow tone while it lasts.

Last edited by BB4xl; 09-25-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:31 PM
jpollard62
Cruiser
Default Baffle Packing

Like pajoe indicated above ...I used the fiberglass that is used for furnaces which seems to hold up alot longer...I am still looking at adding the smartpartz baffles to my Vance Hines quiet baffles to drop the DB's a little more. After a long ride they are still loud.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:50 PM
texasridr
Cruiser

I DO like my smartpartz baffles! I can sneak out of the house early in the a.m. without waking the kids. If I get back to work late from a long lunch, I can go unnoticed. I can ride at highway speeds without tiring my ears. And if I want to make a little noise, I just open up the throttle. It's all so subjective..... and it works for me.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:21 PM
jpollard62
Cruiser
Default Smartpartz Baffles with Quiet Baffles

Got my Smartpartz Baffles installed with my Quiet Baffles...Love-in it....no more drone wearing you out on long rides...Still loud if you open it up but very quiet cruising along.

Quick Reply: V+H Baffles. Info. needed.