First Evo - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 11:26 PM
PakMul
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Evo - Help!

Stuck Evo Lifter Block
I have a '91 Ultra Classic that has a bad lifter. I want to change all the lifters. I've got new HD lifters and have pulled the engine down to the lifter blocks. I cannot get them out. Is there a puller for this?
I am trying not to open the cam cover unless I see damage to the cam when I get that far.
Someone built the snot out of this thing and I'm not sure I'll leave it this way, but I just want to replace the lifters for now. It's got:
Woods W8 cam,
10:1 Wiseco pistons,
Baisley Pro Street Heads and adjustable pushrods,
89" S&S Stroker kit
25,000 miles on the engine
I have a '99 RK and a '56 Panhead I've done a lot of work on, but this is my first Evo and I don't want to screw this up.
This is great forum that has helped me many many times, but I can't seem to find an answer to this one, so I thought I'd ask.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-18-2010, 02:47 AM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

The lifters drop out the bottom of the lifter blocks, and yes there are magnetic holders you can buy but I just use a piece of wire from one of my wife's cheap kitchen tools she used to whisk eggs. There is a little hole in the center of the lifter you bend the wire and stick one end in the hole of each lifter and gently press on the wire to keep the lifters pressed against the lifter block and then as you pull out the lifter block the lifters come with it. I know it's not the best way and takes me a couple tries to get the wire just right ,but it was cheap.You need to have something hold the lifters or they will fall out the bottom when you lift out the lifter blocks. You can tell if the lifters are coming up with the lifter blocks if you do it slowly.

A tool you should consider using during assembly is one of the lifter block alignment pins, they are less then $10, but help make sure you get the lifter block on correctly.

Last edited by pajoe; 09-18-2010 at 02:55 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:43 AM
PakMul
Cruiser

Thanks for the info. I have the alignment tool for reassembly, but I swear it's like the lifter blocks are glued in or something! I've removed all the bolts, tried a little gentle tapping with a soft hammer, tried a little twisting with a large pair of Channel locks, but there seems to be no budging these little rascals.
I'll go back out today and give her another try.
I really love this bike and will not give up on it.........

Old 09-18-2010, 03:23 PM
drjones
Cruiser

I have run into that before. You may be right, some one may have used some type of gasket sealer (gasketcinch, hytac come to mind). Get your self a dead blow hammer and give it a few whacks. The gasket will break loose, and you won't hurt anything. Just don't pound the pi$$ out of them. Good luck, TJ

Old 09-18-2010, 03:42 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Try heating the block (not the lifter block) with a heat gun. Sometimes that will loosen the "Goo" that was applied to them and shouldn't have been.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:41 PM
PakMul
Cruiser
Default Permatex

I tried posting to this earlier, so I apologize if this comes as a repeat. I did use my bigger deadblow, got the blocks loose, and find someone used something like the old permatex. It's cleaned off and ready for re-assembly now.
The inside lifter had eaten itself. bad roller, the cam looks rough.I'll pull that apart next.
Ongoing education........

Thanks you guys! I'll let you know how she goes back together.
Now off to tell the wife about the new cam....