EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Extra spots and the stator?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 10:50 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts
Default Extra spots and the stator?

I want to add a couple spotlights to my Springer. Right now my lighting is 100% as it came from the factory except for a Silverstar upgrade in the headlight. I'm wanting to add a light bar and two chrome spotlights. They seem to mostly be 35 watt lights. Am I safe to assume that the stock 1996 Evo stator can power those extra two 35 watt bulbs without issue? If I opted for a set of the 55 watt lights for even more light, will the stator still be able to keep up? Even at idle?

Old 09-07-2010, 11:34 PM
BB4xl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amps = Watts / Volts 35 watt bulbs x 2= 70 / say 14 volts=5 amps.

55 x 2 = 110/14= 7.85 amps.

Iam not sure what a 96s amp output is. 14 volts would be at say 2500 rpms to. A relay would probably be a good idea. HD probably sells some kind of kit? I see a few Springers around here with Spots on them.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:27 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Even the 65 watt spots will be ok You should have a 32 amp charging system for that year bike

Old 09-08-2010, 05:52 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks guys. Yeah, I think I might just opt for the brighter ones. Can't really have too much light, can yah? Especially with deer season coming up.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:30 PM
BB4xl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a 32 amp alt,your good to go. I have a 32amp on a FLHTC. I just have stock lights and the radio. I run with all that and the spots.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I went to 90/100W halogen headlight, 55W halogen spots, halogen turn signals ( front) and brake light on my '91 FLHS. The problem I had was with the "self correcting" "lights" circuit breaker ( little rectangular metal with two poles under the dash) cutting off and on with all the lights running. What I did was wire the spots directing to the "hot" or "in" side of my "ignition" circuit breaker and put an inline 10amp fuse ( new style) on the line for protection. No problems now with lights staying on and nice and bright. After installing a new voltage regulator I also installed a little LED "voltage monitor" on my handle bars next to dash so I can see at a glance what my charging system is doing.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:55 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tactical111
I went to 90/100W halogen headlight, 55W halogen spots, halogen turn signals ( front) and brake light on my '91 FLHS. The problem I had was with the "self correcting" "lights" circuit breaker ( little rectangular metal with two poles under the dash) cutting off and on with all the lights running. What I did was wire the spots directing to the "hot" or "in" side of my "ignition" circuit breaker and put an inline 10amp fuse ( new style) on the line for protection. No problems now with lights staying on and nice and bright. After installing a new voltage regulator I also installed a little LED "voltage monitor" on my handle bars next to dash so I can see at a glance what my charging system is doing.
That little voltage monitor would be nice... but Bertha's cockpit is so full now, thaere's nowhere left to mount it! She has lots of running lights, including the Tourpak side and rear lights, the front spots, rear turn signals rigged as running lights, two amps for the speakers, and (dare I say this in the Evo forum?) the iPhone charger and the Garmin GPS charger... All of this gadgetry runs fine with the 32 amp stator. RIDE ON!

Old 09-11-2010, 06:24 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks for the info guys. And northgeorgiahawg, if I haven't said it before, let me say it now. That bertha bike of yours is so sweet it defies description. Its a true masterpiece.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:50 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Thanks for the info guys. And northgeorgiahawg, if I haven't said it before, let me say it now. That bertha bike of yours is so sweet it defies description. Its a true masterpiece.
Wow! Ummm... Thanks! That's very nice of you to say. Your Springer is gorgeous, too. I see you also have a Mustang seat... they are the best seats in the biz in my humble opinion.

I've put a lot of effort into Bertha to make her just what I want her to be. Nice to see that others appreciate the result of my efforts! She's not the fastest girl on the forum, but she's my baby, and she runs like a top! My awesome wife gave her to me for my 50th birthday three years ago, and that makes her very special to me. I'll give her a hug from you! Bertha, I mean... Oh what the hay... I'll give my wife a hug from you too!

We got rained on today, but I cleaned Bertha and my wife's V-Star up completely earlier this evening - spit-shined them, actually - and tomorrow we're riding in the annual Ride to Remember, sponsored by Cycle World of Athens, up to Hiawassee. The ride is to remember and honor all those who perished on and after 9/11, and also to honor our brave military personnel and public safety professionals who put themselves in Harm's Way every day to protect us.

Here's the ride link for anyone local who wishes to participate. RIDE SAFE!

Last edited by NorthGeorgiaHawg; 09-11-2010 at 08:52 PM.