EVO All Evo Model Discussion

no clearance

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 12:01 PM
j.m.s.
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no clearance

I am trying to get my rear rocker cover off of my 97 fxds-conv. The rocker is smack against the frame, I have totally removed front engine mount and dropped engine, which only allows me 3/8" clearance of frame and I cannot get the top rocker cover off and clear of the lower hold down bolts. What the hell am I supposed to do? everybody tells me it shouldn't be a problem and I should have 1" of clearance, NOPE!!!!
The 2 threads on spark plug side are stripped and no longer hold the bolts, I want to remove lower rocker, drill and tap to 5/16-18. That's if I can get it off.

Thanks, Joe

Old 09-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Nautilus
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

maybe posting a picture or two showing it more detailed might help. I can't say anything more since at this time I don't have access to the manual. Once I get to it, I will post something if it's yet unsolved

Old 09-01-2010, 04:44 PM
j.m.s.
Tourer

The manual didn't even say to release motor mount. I put it all back together cause I have no clue what to do short of taking out the engine.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:47 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My buddy had this issue on his 87 fxrc and we had to drop the engine way down , I think we may have had to take the front mount right out,and even then there was just enough room to get the rocker cover out.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:26 PM
j.m.s.
Tourer

I did take the front mount off, dropped engine all the way down where the jack wasn't even touching it any more, still not enough room.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:36 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 853 Likes on 643 Posts

If i understand:
1-you removed front motor mount completely and dropped motor.
2-you probably also loosened and raised rear of tank up an inch so you could see.
3- do the rocker covers have female allen head holes?
if they do..go to sears and get the 10-pc MIDGET COMBINATION WRENCH SET
i think it is item number 9-42319 and is about $20..you really only need the 3/16 wrench?? it is small and thin..then cut a piece of allen (3/16 ?) and drop it in the allen bolt..use little wrench to turn the allen piece that was inserted in the bolt.
Original Rocker boxes are 3 piece..pop off the top one after removing the four bolts and remove...If original..the top rocker will feel slightly glued down..just pop it with-out bending..spatula?
**the sears wrenches are very small and they are the only ones i have seen that are that tiny and at the same time very strong..Most times they are out of the standard size ones..maybe 1 of 3 stores has them in stock.
AND just to be clear..sometimes you can not actually physically remove the bolts but instead must loosen completely and pop rocker to off and slide out with bolts just resting.
help this helps.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:53 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 853 Likes on 643 Posts

also:
does your model have a motor mount someplace else like frame area under the tank tha might not allow motor to drop or maybe the exhaust pipes/slip-ons do not let tilt/drop motor.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:05 PM
IronGear
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a stock engine?
I can only suggest you drop the back mount.
If the cover is hard on the frame now, is it always there????
As in, while riding?
It must vibrate heavily.
How does the motor move when running, if it is jammed against the frame?

Old 09-01-2010, 09:25 PM
j.m.s.
Tourer

I can get the bolts out no problem, I have the top cover released but it doesn't have enough room to get past the bolt tops that are on the inside holding down the lower cover. I do get some vibration that gets annoying sometimes, and after seeing this , it might be the culprit. I will look at the exhaust mounts near bottom of bike and see if that's keeping it from dropping more. I bought this bike last yr used, so I don't know what is or isn't stock. I will try again tomorrow and take pics.

Joe

Old 09-02-2010, 11:12 AM
113fatboy
Intermediate

On my softail I have two piece rocker boxes on top of a 113 And to get the back
cover off I have to roll the motor over to get the rocker arms in the right spot to
get clearance to take the cover out Give it a try

Quick Reply: no clearance