EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Please Help My Bum!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 11:41 AM
woman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please Help My Bum!

We have finally fulfilled a dream...proud owners of a 1985 FXSB Low Rider! Two seats came with her, but neither is particularly kind to my bottom. Have looked around the internet, but am having trouble finding a seat that will fit. She is beautiful and I am unwilling to ruin her lines with just anything.
Is the only option a custom seat? Does anyone have any ideas? Really want to be comfortable riding longer than 100 miles. Appreciate the help...my bum thanks you too!

Old 08-21-2010, 11:54 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by woman
We have finally fulfilled a dream...proud owners of a 1985 FXSB Low Rider! Two seats came with her, but neither is particularly kind to my bottom. Have looked around the internet, but am having trouble finding a seat that will fit. She is beautiful and I am unwilling to ruin her lines with just anything.
Is the only option a custom seat? Does anyone have any ideas? Really want to be comfortable riding longer than 100 miles. Appreciate the help...my bum thanks you too!
Welcome to HDF, from the UK!

Having owned my 1990 Glide from new I have only earlier this year cured our comfort problem, also stopped it from bottoming out and at last have a happy wife!

The solution is to start at the ground and work up. A change of tyres from the stock ones can improve the quality of the ride, just by using a superior brand. My preferred brand is Avon. They will give you both an improvement in comfort.

However the best improvement is new rear shocks. Some of us have tried several brands with varied success, but ended up giving Howard at HDF sponsor Motorcycle Metal a call and getting his custom-built Ohlins. Don't buy cheap alternatives, do it just once and be amazed!

When you have sorted out the 'foundations' you may find you don't need a new seat, or if you replace it you will be in seventh heaven!

Old 08-21-2010, 05:51 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Welcome to HDF, from the UK!

Having owned my 1990 Glide from new I have only earlier this year cured our comfort problem, also stopped it from bottoming out and at last have a happy wife!

The solution is to start at the ground and work up. A change of tyres from the stock ones can improve the quality of the ride, just by using a superior brand. My preferred brand is Avon. They will give you both an improvement in comfort.

However the best improvement is new rear shocks. Some of us have tried several brands with varied success, but ended up giving Howard at HDF sponsor Motorcycle Metal a call and getting his custom-built Ohlins. Don't buy cheap alternatives, do it just once and be amazed!

When you have sorted out the 'foundations' you may find you don't need a new seat, or if you replace it you will be in seventh heaven!
Far be it from me to contradict Sir Graham... and he makes some entirely valid points regarding proper suspension. However, I have no problems with Bertha's stock air shocks... they've never bottomed out on me, even two up. I run about 16-18 pounds of air pressure in them, and I have Burly lowering blocks on the rear.

But if you are looking at seats, in my humble opinion Mustang makes far and away the most COMFORTABLE seats out there. I dumped Bertha's rock-hard Corbin for my Mustang Regal, and never looked back! The Corbin is supposed to mold itself to your butt - but I guess it didn't notice my scrawny butt was ever on it. It felt like a park bench, whereas the Mustang feels more like a La-Z-Boy on wheels! My legs no longer fall asleep after 30 minutes on the bike because of the Corbin's far-too-wide throat, either... the Mustang's throat is much narrower, which enables me to ride comfortably and actually reach the ground with both feet flat-footed. I can ride literally all day in the Mustang!

BTW, I SOLD the Corbin for $300 on eBay - which paid for most of the new Mustang seat...

Old 08-21-2010, 06:23 PM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome.

We have a '90 Ultra and the only real choices in seats for ours was Mustang. I do like having a sheepskin, you may not like a sheepskin.

We have a sheepskin outlet about an hour away and have gone there a few times to replace our sheepskin - it a pretty nice ride for us. here is one of the photos from their web site:

http://www.sickafus.com/

Last edited by pajoe; 08-21-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:24 PM
bigseth
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Send it to Mean City Cycles and have the memory foam modification done. It will be far better than any seat you can buy.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:08 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Pay no attention to the comments about air shocks, the FXSB does not have them. Do look into quality shocks, Ohlins and Works are the high end, Progressive are good and less money. The biggest problem is that seats for '85 & '86 FXs are hard to find. You may only be able to get a decent seat by having one built. A good one will not be very cushy, but will be firm enough to give good support.
Good luck

Old 08-21-2010, 10:18 PM
woman
Tourer

Thank you all so much for your quick replies...your advice is most appreciated!

Old 08-21-2010, 11:15 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up Road Sofa

Sound comfy? It is. Do check out Saddlemen Seats dot com to see if they have a mold for your year and model. Since I put my "Road Sofa" on Blue Belle the only time I have to stop is to hydrate, dehydrate, or fuel up. It's like Momma Bear's bed; not too hard, not too soft, and has built in gel and great lower back support.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:54 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NorthGeorgiaHawg
Far be it from me to contradict Sir Graham...

Funny things Corbins. We have one on my Glide and with the Ohlins it is far more comfortable! They also cured bottoming out, but I only suffered that when riding 2-up.

What we have proved with the Ohlins is that they provide a smoother ride, which is itself less tiring on long journeys and a good enough reason to buy them IMHO. That the bike handles better and rides sweeter on even the shortest trip is a real bonus!

Old 08-22-2010, 08:00 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

Mine is a 93 FXLR, so not sure about the fitment on your earlier model. I have Drag Specialties flamed Predator that I use for short trips and running around town. Looks good on the bike, is one piece and matches the flames on my tank.

For longer trips I swap over to a two piece Mustang model #75321. Super comfortable and a very high quality piece. Nice part is I can swap them out in less than 15 minutes. Try Mustangs online catalog and see if they have a fitment for your year. If not try calling them and speak to Rae a sales rep there. They still may have a pan or mold in stock and can build you one. It's worth a try.

Quick Reply: Please Help My Bum!