EVO All Evo Model Discussion

91 ultra front wheel bearings.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010 | 02:04 PM
BungoBill
|
Road Captain
Default 91 ultra front wheel bearings.

Finally found what the cause of "the noise" & vibration coming from front end on my Ultra was! I had put the wheel into an Indy to have the F.Wheel Bearings removed and the new ones pressed in. Whilst on my recent 700 miles round trip,the Bearing on the L/H side seized. When I returned home (via. breakdown service)I dismantled the Axle and removed the faulty Bearing,I discovered that the Indy wrench/mechanic HADNT REINSERTED THE INNER SPACER & WASHER before inserting the L/H Bearing. I have no idea why he didnt reinsert them. I can only assume that the Spacer & Washer were lost when he removed the Bearing and if he didnt notice them,he would have just inserted the new Bearing. Could have caused a disaster,especially as the Axle end nut wasnt tight when I started to remove it. Bungo.

Old 08-12-2010 | 06:38 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior

The reason the Disk head indy didn't tighten the nut was the preload on the tapered roller bearing was missing do to the missing spacer You know like leave the bearing spacer out then tighten the axle nut and oh my god the wheel turns tight Get your self another indy

Old 08-12-2010 | 07:09 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

It is pretty easy to tell if you have the right spacers and shims in the wheel. Just insert the spacers and brgs in the wheel, and you should be able to move the brgs back and forth as they are pressed against the spacers, a slight amount. If you have no play there, you need more spacer. Still needs to be checked after the wheel is installed for brg pre load, but this works for a quick check to make sure you have all the parts back in before you reinstall the wheel on the bike.

Old 08-13-2010 | 05:47 PM
BungoBill
|
Road Captain
Default 91 Ultra Front wheel Bearings

sqdeal.George & Jim Kraft, will take note of what you say .Thanks for good advice. Bungo

Old 08-13-2010 | 05:57 PM
maddmax
1st Gear
Default HELP with installing fuel sending unit!

I installed and hooked everything, when I place the top plate with new screws and gasket on top of fuel tank, it doesn't seen to sit flush. The left side seems to stick up and not lay flush, it seems spring loaded, is this normal or is the float and sending unit not sitting right in the tank?

Old 08-13-2010 | 08:33 PM
shovhd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by maddmax
I installed and hooked everything, when I place the top plate with new screws and gasket on top of fuel tank, it doesn't seen to sit flush. The left side seems to stick up and not lay flush, it seems spring loaded, is this normal or is the float and sending unit not sitting right in the tank?
Your not going to get much help on Bungo's thread. You should just start your own.

Old 08-13-2010 | 11:12 PM
maddmax
1st Gear

Thanks, I am still new to this.

Old 08-14-2010 | 01:14 PM
BungoBill
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by maddmax
Strangely enough I had a recent problem with my Fuel gauge not functioning after taking the sender unit etc.out of my 91 Ultra Gas tank. The Sender Unit & Gasket has got to go back into the Gas Tank in the exact same place. ie.Note where all the screws go and a little mark at the Ground/Earth screw/hole and cable should keep things right. The holes for the screws on my Gas Tank arent ALL at the same centres therefore if you are slightly "out" the gasket and sender unit will not fit properly and your Gas gauge may not work. The sender unit has to be "wiggled" back and forth as you put it into the L/H side of the tank. Make sure the Gasket is good/tight! If it isnt.....when you fill your Gas Tank FULL, gas may seep out and drip onto your electrics,with horrendous results. I know....because it happened to me. Fortunately the bike didnt go on fire.! Not sure if this is of any help but if you start a new thread as shovhd suggests,,more experienced guys than me will definitely help. Bungo.

Last edited by BungoBill; 08-14-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-14-2010 | 10:49 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Riders Club Member

FIRE YOUR INDY! Older Harley wheels had tapered roller bearings, which must have the "end play" set correctly BEFORE the wheels are mounted on the bike. There is a good writeup on various types of bearings on the Timken web site if you care to learn about tapered roller bearings. Tapered roller bearings are nice because they have excellent resistance to side-loading - but the end play MUST be set correctly to allow the tapered inner bearing races to rotate freely, but not TOO freely, inside the outer races. Too tight and they'll wear very quickly and possibly seize, as yours did.

If he "forgot" to put the inner spacer and washers back in, then there is NO WAY to set the proper end play... that was an absolutely boneheaded, amateurish mistake that could have put you down and possibly killed you! He's totally not competent to be working on tapered-bearing Harley wheels...

Old 08-15-2010 | 03:13 AM
BungoBill
|
Road Captain
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NorthGeorgiaHawg
FIRE YOUR INDY! Older Harley wheels had tapered roller bearings, which must have the "end play" set correctly BEFORE the wheels are mounted on the bike. There is a good writeup on various types of bearings on the Timken web site if you care to learn about tapered roller bearings. Tapered roller bearings are nice because they have excellent resistance to side-loading - but the end play MUST be set correctly to allow the tapered inner bearing races to rotate freely, but not TOO freely, inside the outer races. Too tight and they'll wear very quickly and possibly seize, as yours did.

If he "forgot" to put the inner spacer and washers back in, then there is NO WAY to set the proper end play... that was an absolutely boneheaded, amateurish mistake that could have put you down and possibly killed you! He's totally not competent to be working on tapered-bearing Harley wheels...
Yeah,dead right N.G.H.,Totally agree. Especially as I was on a long trip with constant & fairly high speeds on the Freeway/Motorway,with the bearings running hot. Could have been a disaster. When you leave something with your local shop ie. a FrontWheel to have Bearings removed and re-fitted you dont expect any problems.
I suppose the end line is this.......Its often a good idea to consider your local H.D.Shop for certain jobs as they will usually have an experienced mechanic/wrench who knows EXACTLY whats is involved when stripping the part down and refitting,therefore he would have known instinctively that Spacers were going to "fall out" when dismantling my Front Wheel and they would have to be re-fitted. Ihope that someone else may be warned and benefit from this thread,which I hope is one of the great things about H.D.Forums. Thanks again,Bungo

Quick Reply: 91 ultra front wheel bearings.