4 inch pistons
Road Master

I am learning a lot here. Thanks guys.

Old 08-15-2010 | 11:34 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by BungoBill
Yeah,dead right N.G.H.,Totally agree. Especially as I was on a long trip with constant & fairly high speeds on the Freeway/Motorway,with the bearings running hot. Could have been a disaster. When you leave something with your local shop ie. a FrontWheel to have Bearings removed and re-fitted you dont expect any problems.
I suppose the end line is this.......Its often a good idea to consider your local H.D.Shop for certain jobs as they will usually have an experienced mechanic/wrench who knows EXACTLY whats is involved when stripping the part down and refitting,therefore he would have known instinctively that Spacers were going to "fall out" when dismantling my Front Wheel and they would have to be re-fitted. Ihope that someone else may be warned and benefit from this thread,which I hope is one of the great things about H.D.Forums. Thanks again,Bungo
There is a good indy near me who I've been to many times, but for Bertha's new spoke wheels recently I took them to Fraziers H-D, also near my house. The bearings, internal spacers, washers, etc. came with the wheels, and I had Fraziers mount new Dunlop whitewall tires and balance the wheels, mount the new rotors and pulley, install the bearings, and set the end play on them. They charged me $150 labor for the whole job - which I was happy with. They are good people there, and they did a good job for me in about two hours. The folks at Killer Creek H-D in Alpharetta are good folks, too.

I don't like messing with wheel bearings and end play - I leave that to the pros. Dealer wrenches are required to actually follow what's in the Service manual, and going to the dealer to have this job done gave me peace of mind that I won't have any problems with Bertha's new wheels! I mounted the wheels to Bertha myself at home though - having the dealer do that would have been another $100 labor...

Last edited by NorthGeorgiaHawg; 08-15-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-16-2010 | 04:20 AM
BungoBill
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by NorthGeorgiaHawg
There is a good indy near me who I've been to many times, but for Bertha's new spoke wheels recently I took them to Fraziers H-D, also near my house. The bearings, internal spacers, washers, etc. came with the wheels, and I had Fraziers mount new Dunlop whitewall tires and balance the wheels, mount the new rotors and pulley, install the bearings, and set the end play on them. They charged me $150 labor for the whole job - which I was happy with. They are good people there, and they did a good job for me in about two hours. The folks at Killer Creek H-D in Alpharetta are good folks, too.

I don't like messing with wheel bearings and end play - I leave that to the pros. Dealer wrenches are required to actually follow what's in the Service manual, and going to the dealer to have this job done gave me peace of mind that I won't have any problems with Bertha's new wheels! I mounted the wheels to Bertha myself at home though - having the dealer do that would have been another $100 labor...
That sounds like a reasonable deal. Thing is...if no-one went to their local Harley shop for repairs,people would be out of jobs.
Still a personal choice though! I suppose its all about TRUSTING your HD.shop and knowing you are getting a reasonable deal and not being ripped off.
I had my Ultra in at my local H.D shop and WAS RIPPED OFF,BIG TIME.!!! Sad thing is for them.....they are the losers as it has encouraged me to wrench for myself and any parts,clothing etc., I want to buy,I go to another H.D shop.
Meant to say.....your bike looks great! The LARGE Whitewall definitely suit your machine. Bungo

Old 08-16-2010 | 04:38 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by BungoBill
That sounds like a reasonable deal. Thing is...if no-one went to their local Harley shop for repairs,people would be out of jobs.
Still a personal choice though! I suppose its all about TRUSTING your HD.shop and knowing you are getting a reasonable deal and not being ripped off.
I had my Ultra in at my local H.D shop and WAS RIPPED OFF,BIG TIME.!!! Sad thing is for them.....they are the losers as it has encouraged me to wrench for myself and any parts,clothing etc., I want to buy,I go to another H.D shop.
Meant to say.....your bike looks great! The LARGE Whitewall definitely suit your machine. Bungo
Yeah - not all dealers are good I suppose - but the two I go to here are both very reputable. I don't think the dealer service departments have anything to worry about... the vast majority of newer bikes are owned by riders who do not have the DIY mindset like we old Evo riders do... and truth be told, if I owned a new $20K+ Harley filled with all sorts of electronic gadgetry, I might not be willing to do so much of my own wrenching... or maybe I would...

We bought Bertha at Killer Creek, but Fraziers is much closer to our house, so I go there more often. Fraziers is a family business, and I like that. I may go work there when I retire from the stressful IT consulting business I've been in since 1978!

Bertha thanks you for the compliment! I am very pleased with her new look - I've always loved the look of the RKC with wide whitewalls and wire wheels - but the vastly improved handling was an huge unexpected benefit. The wire wheels are much lighter than the stock 10-spoke cast wheels, they weigh maybe half as much, and Bertha feels much lighter and more maneuverable with them - like a different bike, actually... it' that dramatic of an improvement. The new Dunlop 404s stick like glue, too. She feels noticeably more stable in curves with the Dunlops than she did with the Metzeler ME880 Marathons - which I also didn't expect!

I put a 140 on the rear (130 was stock), and it's rubbing just a bit on the belt. The H-D Dunlop 140 is about 1/2" wider than the ME880 140 was. I think the belt has rubbed away just enough of the sidewall, maybe 1/32" to be OK now though - so hopefully I won't need to install a pulley spacer. I'm watching it, though...

I couldn't be happier with the way the new wheels and tires turned out!