EVO All Evo Model Discussion

is it time to trade or stick more money in her

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010 | 09:32 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Default worth keeping

Sounds like a smart move, keeping a bike you like.

My previous Harley was a black '89 FXRS-SP which I bought new. I really loved that bike. It even had dual-disk front brakes, stock! It was also an 80" EVO, like yours. I would have that bike today, except for wrecking it. So I can see why you'd want to keep it. The maintenance is simple enough to save money doing it yourself. And you know where this bike's been.

When I was faced w/ having to buy a new bike, I chose the latest I could afford , an '09, 'cause I wanted to get the 96-inch engine & 6-speed (+ all the rest of the improvements). And, w/ a few additions (Q/R w/s & bags...) my "new" Super Glide is very close to a direct replacement for my old Low Rider Sport Convertible.

I had a hugely-powerful engine built for it, eventually, and was thrilled well enough by the result, though I just threw money away. But let me assure you that I just wouldn't do it again that way, today. Of utmost importance to me w/ my new bike is reliability. And I also like the fuel economy of my stock bike. I would really think twice about hot-rodding the engine. Stock, it could easily last you another 30,000 miles or much more.

Old 08-14-2010 | 09:44 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member

I mean whats wrong with having the only evo in the parking lot

This might be the most intelligent quote I have read on any forum!

Last edited by 1997bagger; 08-14-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-14-2010 | 10:39 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by paul d
I mean whats wrong with having the only evo in the parking lot.
Originally Posted by 1997bagger

This might be the most intelligent quote I have read on any forum!
AGREED! Besides, I LIKE being the only Evo in a parking lot. Most twinkie riders don't even notice that Bertha IS an Evo because she looks so much like a newer bike anyway - with all the chrome, 2007 Tour Pak, Mustang seat, and all... and if they do bother to take a close look, it's normally something like "What IS that bike?" That always makes me chuckle! Silly twinkie riders!

Old 08-14-2010 | 10:41 PM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior

Like a good woamn, stick it in her... money that is. keep the old girl

Old 08-14-2010 | 10:55 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by HOG_0308
Like a good woamn, stick it in her... money that is. keep the old girl
Hmmm... I stick money ON her... I stick something else IN her... Speaking of which... 'night, gents!

Old 08-15-2010 | 12:14 AM
pajoe
Road Captain

pajoe and the rest of the guys talked me into keeping this bike. I mean whats wrong with having the only evo in the parking lot. I think investing a few buck in the bike is the best thing for me to do. The few things that are issues can be delt with and I do love the way this bike sounds. now to find a good radio that will work in this thing. Thanks, Paul D.

We have been using a Biketronics retro-radio kit with a Sony radio for several years. I keep a cheap plastic cover that fits over it when it rains. My setup is a few years old, back then you had to solder the wires but these days I think they have the plugs already attached. Sony sold an iPod controller for the older Sony radios and I have that under the seat and one cable going into the tourpak where I keep the iPod.I think my next radio will have an usb port and i will eliminate the iPod - 4-5 years ago the iPod was my favorite but times change. The Infinity Kappa series 4" speakers are designed to give more output from low powered head units, but cost a little more than regular speakers. Our system works pretty good.

http://www.biketronics.com/categorie...-Install-Kits/

picture of the marine cover: http://bayimg.com/CAjiOaabC

Old 08-15-2010 | 12:26 AM
pajoe
Road Captain

Originally Posted by NorthGeorgiaHawg
I rigged up a custom sound system on Bertha. I can plug in my little Pioneer Inno XM satellite radio or my iPhone with thousands of tunes on it, and have great sound through 2 Polk 4" front speakers and two Kenwood 6 1/2" two-way speakers in the rear pods, powered by two separate amps - one under each side cover with 300W in for the front and 500W for the rear, on separate power switches. I may even put a damn subwoofer in the Tour Pak!

What amps are you using that work well and fit behind the side covers?

Old 08-15-2010 | 01:09 AM
schwangster
Seasoned HDF Member

great read
subscribed and supported!

"I mean whats wrong with having the only evo in the parking lot"..... classic line!
sounds like something from Easy Rider!

Old 08-15-2010 | 11:03 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by pajoe
What amps are you using that work well and fit behind the side covers?
They are small ones that I bought on eBay for like $30 each. They are about 4 1/2" x 3" x 1 1/2". They have small screw holes on each end. They are not waterproof but being inside the side covers keeps them dry. I wired them to the ACC circuit. They are readily available on eBay - search for "motorcycle amp" and you'll see lots of listings. They are not super high quality, but the system sounds pretty good! They have a low and hi pass filter switch, and a bass boost switch that makes the music sound better.

I rigged up the cables under the seat and under the tank up to the bars, where I have a RAM mount to hold the iPhone or Inno. I usually just use the iPhone nowadays. I got a splitter cable at Radio Shack to join the front and rear audio cables, and a little 90 degree stereo plug to plug into the top of the iPhone.

Old 08-15-2010 | 01:57 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks guy for all of your input. I think I need to get a better service manual for the bike. The one thse dealer sold mre is not the best one, it cover a couple of diffirent bike and is not easy to follow. So what mods are reasonable to do to the 80" to increase output? I would still like to keep my gas mileage around the same. Thanks, Paul D.
You can get some awesome performance out of a 80 evo. I had mine dynoed after changing my mufflers and am at 87 Tq/87 Hp and still get over 45 MPH on a cruise. It depends on how much you want to spend...

Quick Reply: is it time to trade or stick more money in her