EVO All Evo Model Discussion

is it time to trade or stick more money in her

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010 | 03:04 PM
paul d
|
Intermediate

pajoe, Whats a big boy engine like that run? As far as power goes the 80" evo does ok. My bride and I are not big people. I always kid my wife that my belly is not big enough to own a harley. As far as if I upgraded I doubt I would buy new. there are a lots of o7 and 08 out there with few miles and a lot better price. I live in wi. if anybody wants to stop over and give me Ideas on what to do with the one I got. Thanks, Paul D.

Old 08-13-2010 | 04:32 PM
Springer95
Cruiser

I have a '95 evo and I don't mind being nickel and dimed one bit. Until I find something else (maybe another evo, maybe not) that blows me away and I "have to have it", I'll get it whatever it needs.

Old 08-13-2010 | 04:57 PM
pajoe
Road Captain

Paul,

Ultima from jirehcycles:
http://www.jirehcycles.com/

All Non EPA Motors 80-127 one low price!
Nautural $3499
Black $3599
Polished $3899

The most popular sizes seem to be 107,113,120

There are several Ultima owners here at HDforums

S&S will cost a thousand or two more, but have a better reputation ( may be more reliable) and I think they even have an ignition available that sounds like it will adjust the timing to certain conditions preventing detonation..

BTW: If I were to go with a twin cam, it would be one of the newest 96" models with a 6 speed transmission. I hear they are really smooth. On the other hand a lot of guys with the later models are dumping them for the newer models, and it is pushing resale values down.

Old 08-13-2010 | 05:22 PM
IronButt62
Cruiser

Originally Posted by pajoe
Unfortunately, trade in values are not too good, but if you really want to make it seem like new, drop a big inch engine in it - the first time you yank open the throttle you will feel like it is a brand new bike again.
Amen PAJOE. A 113 and 6 speed made the old (87) heritage feel like a new bike. Can't buy the history I have with her. May get another bike one day, but I'll die with this one in the garage.

Old 08-13-2010 | 05:51 PM
pajoe
Road Captain

IronButt62,

Although I see a lot of big inch engine owners here on the forums, I don't bump into too many coworkers etc. with big inch, 100+ hp Harleys.

Old 08-13-2010 | 08:02 PM
paul d
|
Intermediate

do you guys do all of this work on yur bikes by yourselves? If you do your way out of my league. I do all the small stuff. fluids. starters, brakes,ect. Maybe someday I'll learn.
Paul D.

Old 08-14-2010 | 09:25 AM
92Fatty
Road Master

I wouldn't sell it. I love my 92 Fatboy. Oh it would be nice to have a new one but no one has a 92 anymore. The first thing I bought was a factory service manual and haven't looked back since. I hate giving the dealer any money. I know it is not the fastest out there but it gets me there just the same.All my friends have twinkies and I just cruise out back following the pack. I love my EVO.

Old 08-14-2010 | 09:42 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member

Fatty, that 80" responds WELL to mods, bump the compression, some GOOD headwork to the stock heads, cam change and most TC will struggle with the little 80 incher and still very reliable.

By the way, nice looking ride!

Old 08-14-2010 | 10:35 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member

Paul D, the only advise I could give you is that when you feel in the back of your mind that the ride is becoming too unreliable, you and the misses will become stranded and not mentally enjoying your ride or listening for every noise expecting something to go wrong - time to move on and as many are telling you, how deep are you attached to the bike, non of us can make that decision for you.

This is the Evo section and NOBODY is going to tell you to upgrade to a twinkee, so ya gotta laugh about that but I also became attached to my Evo and due to stubborness and drive to do something different, I"ll nickell, dime and hundred dollar the white RK. Being a wrench for a living and background of show car builder I sometimes take for granted of mechanical/cosmetic repairs and easier for me to say "fix your bike" but if I had to pay a wrench to do major repairs, I might change my outlook because someone elses bike that they spent all their money on would become more appealing with todays HD market.

Your income can also be a factor, newer bike with all the goodies for a good price and you can afford it, peace of mind on the road. Attached to your bike with a GOOD wrench can also make the old scoot dependable if done right and you know what you have but If cash in hand is difficult, signing on the line might be easier.

Old 08-14-2010 | 11:21 AM
fatboyNick
Cruiser

Since I couldn't afford a newer bike and I was looking for a good used Harley as this was going to be my first Harley, I too found that reading and listening that it is best to buy an EVO, so I did, I bought a 96FLHR-I with 29k miles on it, it has no mods other than a PUP exhaust or is it called a PUB. When I got it home I was excited as a little kid, even though I am pushing 60 and then I did some research and found out that I bought a hard to find bike for parts, it was depressing. I have been to the local HD dealer too many times looking at newer used bikes and I still cannot seem to want to part with any money to buy a newer bike. I decided to buy the Service manual and I decided not to look back and began to look at my bike as a work of art and I was going to make it look and run the way I want it even if it costs me more than a nickel or dime, which it has so far....
I have always loved the way the older HD bikes looked and sounded and yes the new ones sound and look great too but there is something about taking something old and making it new, I guess that is why I still own a couple of Muscle cars from 1970 and 71. I hate payments just as much as everyone else but sometimes you just have to have one for what you want but that time has not arrived for me and I hope it never does. Sorry for the long post!!!!

In case you are interested on what I bought and what I have done cosmetically so far, here is a before and after pic, they are both not the best pics but you will get the idea. Good luck on your decision....

Attached Thumbnails is it time to trade or stick more money in her-my-96-rk-lightenedsm.jpg   is it time to trade or stick more money in her-my-96-rk-new-rear1-800x600.jpg  

Last edited by fatboyNick; 08-14-2010 at 11:26 AM.

Quick Reply: is it time to trade or stick more money in her