EVO All Evo Model Discussion

is it time to trade or stick more money in her

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010 | 08:52 PM
paul d
|
Intermediate

I knew I could come here for so sound advice. I do like the bike. It's my first harley so I guess that means a little something as well. I get compliments on the bike all the time. People are always saying is it really that old. I quess all she really needs is a little more chrome. As far as the bike being neglected not a chance. maybe a little to dirty at times but never neglected. Thanks for all your comments, Paul D.

Old 08-12-2010 | 10:18 PM
warrconn
Road Master

As another poster intimated...do you have an emotional attachment to the machine, or is it just an older bike giving you problems. Up to you. Some bikes become old pals, others are just conveyances. Don't know why. My current bike is 25 years old,although I've owned it only for a year. I've had others that I offed for a new model immediately. I had an '85 FXSB that I still dream about and others that I barely remember. This '85 FXRS seems to be a keeper. I really do like EVOs.

Not much help, I know, but you just got me thinkin'.

Old 08-13-2010 | 05:53 AM
pajoe
Road Captain

Paul D.

I understand fully if you feel a lot of pressure to buy a new bike, I get it all the time too, we all do. That is why Harley created HOG in the first place to build loyalty and get people buying new bikes. As others posted, if you really don't give a crap about your current ride, get a new one, you will have a better warranty and all the latest computer controlled items, it will just work better and not only that you will fit in much better with the majority of Harley riders as they will relate better to you. You will be able to walk into any Harley dealer and find accessories that fit and even on line you will find more posts coming from Harley riders with newer bikes. The old farts like me that hang on to the older bikes really are a small minority, and to be honest, you are probably better off not being like that. The day may come when we buy a new Harley, but I don't expect it to happen any time soon.

We are far from wealthy people but do have enough cash saved up to buy a new glide from the Harley dealer today if we wanted to do it, but I kinda like our old '90 Ultra with 123,000 miles on it and of those almost 60,000 miles were my wife and I riding in the last 6+ years.. Our Harley always has something wrong but as a old , now retired, coworker once said "It's a Harley for crissakes, it's supposed to be like that" I think my wifes sometimes turns off the intercom because of too much bitching, that usually lasts for a few minutes and then the rest of the time the ride is enjoyable.

Old 08-13-2010 | 06:03 AM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member

I get that alot also
Originally Posted by paul d
People are always saying is it really that old. .

Old 08-13-2010 | 06:29 AM
btroy
Cruiser

lets see some pics, and how much do you want for it?

Old 08-13-2010 | 08:37 AM
grbrown
Club Member

I bought my Glide new in 1990. Been sinking nickels and dimes into it ever since! Far too many to make it worth changing now. Sounds as if you have a way to go Paul, then you'll be more sure about keeping it!

Old 08-13-2010 | 08:45 AM
paul d
|
Intermediate

I was wondering when someone would ask how much I wanted for it. See thats the thing. How do you but a price on your first harley? I paid 8,000 for 3yrs ago or was it 4yrs. They seem to fly by any more. She had 14,000 miles on her. the last 16,000 have been great. I'll try to fiqure out how post a few pictures of her. The bike is the same colors as the 90 ultra two posts up. Keep the feed back coming. Paul D.

Old 08-13-2010 | 11:13 AM
BB4xl
Road Master

I don't here a lot of good things about Twin cams. My brother has an 07 and he says he likes it but has had to have downloads and had it back to the dealer a few times. A old wrench at a local shop with a good rep told me he doesn't trust them yet. Hes been working on HDs since the 70s. That no to say they are junk. What is nickel and dime? Some thing wear out and need to be replaced. As Grbrown said "been putting nickles and dimes in ever since". I personaly hate thick payment books. As far as what other tell you, its up to you what you ride. Mines 23 years old this summer and I won't part with her. She has personality.

Old 08-13-2010 | 11:34 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Talking

Originally Posted by BB4xl
Mines 23 years old this summer and I won't part with her. She has personality.

Old 08-13-2010 | 12:11 PM
pajoe
Road Captain

Originally Posted by paul d
I was wondering when someone would ask how much I wanted for it. See thats the thing. How do you but a price on your first harley? I paid 8,000 for 3yrs ago or was it 4yrs. They seem to fly by any more. She had 14,000 miles on her. the last 16,000 have been great. I'll try to fiqure out how post a few pictures of her. The bike is the same colors as the 90 ultra two posts up. Keep the feed back coming. Paul D.
Unfortunately, trade in values are not too good, but if you really want to make it seem like new, drop a big inch engine in it - the first time you yank open the throttle you will feel like it is a brand new bike again.

Quick Reply: is it time to trade or stick more money in her