EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Machine gun clicky?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 11:05 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 486 Likes on 354 Posts
Default Machine gun clicky?

I have owned my '96 Low Rider for just about a year. When I first bought it, it had a bad starter relay. When I fixed that I also installed the push button solenoid cover just to be safe. Well, its a good thing I did since in the past month or so I have had to reach down and press that button probably half a dozen times to get the bike to start. Whats happening is every so often you hit the starter button and you get that real fast click, like a machine gun. Some times all it takes is a second or third tap on the started button and she'll roll over and start. Other times I have to get off the bike and press the button. I'm assuming I need a new starter solenoid? Does this sound correct? Pretty common? Get a genuine Harley one or are there better alternatives? Please advise.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,846 Likes on 1,404 Posts

What you describe is different than The Dreaded Click, which just clicks and nothing. What you describe is basically an oscilator like an old tyme door bell. Push button, power to circuit, solenoid pulls in, voltage drops from high current load through a resistance that shouldn't be there, solenoid drops out, voltage back up from no load, pulls in solenoid, repeats over and over.

I would check: Battery cables including the ground, connections, condition of battery. A weak/dying battery will do it. Starter solenoid would be way at the bottom of the list of possible causes.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:04 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

OK, I just pulled the seat and checked everything I could find. Terminals, connections, whatever I could get a wrench or socket on. Everything seemed snug, though I got maybe a 1/4 turn on a few things. Definitely not the battery either. Its relatively new, always on a tender and when I press the solenoid button, its never failed to start right up. So even when doing the clicky thing, the battery rolls the motor right over with the button. Also, sometimes when this happens, a few quick pushes on the start button and it will go ahead and start normally. So where do I go next?

Old 08-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,725 Likes on 2,002 Posts

Over the years I've replaced/cleaned about every component in the starting circuit on mine. Problem is, everything works, and nothing works. That is to say, everything I try "fixes" the problem for a couple of months, but it always returns.

Just last week, the bike stranded me, and even the push button solenoid would only "click". Finally, it started with the push button on the solenoid, and I got it home. I disassembled the solenoid the next day and found the main contacts covered with a mixture of carbon and grease. I cleaned it, and it's worked ever since, but it's only a matter of time until it fails again.

If you haven't yet, pull the cap off the solenoid and check the contacts. If the contacts are worn away, there are solenoid rebuild kits available, but the solenoid is not replaceable. The motor has to be pulled to install the kit, though. With the age of MY starter, I'd be inclined to replace the entire starter, since the labor is the same.

In the last 17 years I've replaced several batteries, the ignition switch on the tank, the starter push button, the battery cables and the starter relay. I've disassembled the entire wiring harness and cleaned every contact point with contact cleaner and reassembled. Everything I've tried works, and restores function to the starter, but the problem, once fixed, always returns somewhere else. I even rewired my ignition switch so I can start the engine without having the lights on, which helped a lot, but still didn't cure the problem, only masked it.

IMO, the starting circuit is overly complex, and marginally designed.

Last edited by Uncle G.; 08-06-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:31 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Dang, I did not know the solenoid wasn't separate, but complete starter assembly's look to be under 150 bucks for fully chromed out units. Let me ask, how big of a job is it to put the starter unit in? Is it an hour job or more like all day? Seems like if this problem gets worse, thats where I'll be going next.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:58 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,729 Likes on 873 Posts

You have to pull the primary cover to remove the jackshaft bolt so an hour is out for the starter replacement.
Pull the solenoid cover off the starter as Uncle G did and you might find an easy repair with the contact ring and main contacts being burnt, don't overlook the ignition switch wire for a voltage drop, a new starter won't repair that but my crystal ball is seeing a new chrome starter in the near future.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:10 PM
mostSilly
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been getting into the habit of putting NoOX on contacts as i come into contact with them, seems like it may help down the line. I agree with the starting system seeming to have a few more links in the chain, just waiting to stand up as a problem.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:40 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Oh oh oh, mister kotter mister kotter! New issue just appeared. Just today at the gas station. Of course, the bike was warmed up and sitting for a few minutes. Hit start button and clicky..... So I reached down to press my magic button and when I pushed it in I could feel ZERO resistance on that button. Like the solenoid was jammed up on the inside. Stuck in the pushed in position and it did not start. I had to whack it a few times till it bounce back out, and then it started. Does this sound like a conformation the solenoid is pretty much the issue? If so, I'm going to order one up today.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:45 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,729 Likes on 873 Posts

I'll help you spend your money! YES get a starter, the solenoid piston might not bounce back and stay engaged the next time and you will only get a bigger tool to hit the starter which leads to dented exhaust pipe, fuel tank chipped paint, wife says something and you snap leading to lawers, selling the house, half of your personal belongings and ownership of your Harley is in the hands of a judge that just recently had her husband cheat on her. Wow my crystal ball is on it's game this morning.

Last edited by 1997bagger; 08-07-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:22 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

HA! A new starter it is. And if thats not it I'm suing you......not. But it sounded cute.

Quick Reply: Machine gun clicky?