EVO All Evo Model Discussion

yes or no

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Negative IMHO. If you can't get 6500 for yours, what do you think that older shovel is worth? It's a buyers market out there so you may have to take less for yours but there is a ton of inexpensive yet nice bikes out there for you to choose from.

But it's your ride so do what floats your boat..

D

Old 08-05-2010, 10:51 PM
shovhd
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1987fxr
i have my fxr its an 87 with 25k its realy clean but im bored to tears with it its too normal for me i have a guy that wants to trade me a 1982 flh bagger for it its clean i want to chop it up 18 inch hangers flat black flames straight pipes a rat rod bagger ive never owned a shocvel but i love the look and the sound any input please
Don't buy that bagger, it looks pretty much stock. Be a real shame to chop it up. If you want a rat shovel, just keep lookin around. You'll probably find one in pieces in some guys basement for real cheap. Maybe trade you plus some cash or just buy it straight out and build it. I've seen shov baskets around for less than $3000. Stock shovels are getting rare.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:51 AM
btroy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO
I dont get why you would!

EVO = reliability
Shovel = WORK and constant maintenance

Your scoot, do as you please

Old 08-06-2010, 06:08 AM
1987fxr
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i actually havent had good luck with the fxr ive had to do a belt,clutch i had to put a starter bunch of wireing fork seals i put the carb on it cause it ran like crap still doesnt run great now the belts skipping again and its tight i dont get it i bought it to ride ive only put 800 miles on it and its been towed twice the guy i bought it from thought he was a mechanic everything he said he touched i had to fix again other than the motor he said he rebuilt im worried about that

Last edited by 1987fxr; 08-06-2010 at 06:12 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:21 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1987fxr
i actually havent had good luck with the fxr ive had to do a belt,clutch i had to put a starter bunch of wireing fork seals i put the carb on it cause it ran like crap still doesnt run great now the belts skipping again and its tight i dont get it i bought it to ride ive only put 800 miles on it and its been towed twice the guy i bought it from thought he was a mechanic everything he said he touched i had to fix again other than the motor he said he rebuilt im worried about that
You say the bike has 25k on the motor so I would imagine its not original if the guy rebuilt the motor the rest of the bike probably is in need of attention .Belt skipping is probably because its not lined up or not tight enough. If the bike is still running crappy bring your problems here and get them fixed. When I bought my 89 it had 140000 km on the motor and the rest of the bike shows it but I've redone the motor from the crank up and I'm slowly getting it back to great condition. These bikes are trouble free hogs and will go anywhere you take it once you get it into good condition.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:35 AM
BB4xl
Road Master

You have problems with the FXR? You'll just love a Shovel head. From the pic it already has puddles under it. Don't be foolish. Trade or sell yours and get a Fat Evo model.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Nautilus
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

stay with the FXR man, it needs little to look bad *** from what I see in the pic... a new seat and some pipes which u can get off ebay will make a GREAT difference, wheels... u could go cheap and inverse the colors :P or chrom the black and black stripe the polished part that's a completely new look without too much cash in it... engine wise... ur WAY better off with an evo than a shovel... plus, it's more likely to find evo stuff around than shovel

just my 02

Old 08-06-2010, 11:14 AM
1987fxr
Advanced

Originally Posted by ridemywg
You say the bike has 25k on the motor so I would imagine its not original if the guy rebuilt the motor the rest of the bike probably is in need of attention .Belt skipping is probably because its not lined up or not tight enough. If the bike is still running crappy bring your problems here and get them fixed. When I bought my 89 it had 140000 km on the motor and the rest of the bike shows it but I've redone the motor from the crank up and I'm slowly getting it back to great condition. These bikes are trouble free hogs and will go anywhere you take it once you get it into good condition.
the bike its self has 25k the motor was rebuilt at like like 1000 miles ago i guess you can tell its been apart and it leaks haha but it has no ***** at all it would be close between it and my old 883 sporty i dont know why im gona try out the shovel and see if i get a warm and fuzzy feeling about it im starting to doubt the motor in my fxr and i cant afford it blowing up

Old 08-06-2010, 11:18 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Why on earth would the weiner even touch the motor at 25 k , barely broken in. Do a compression test. That bike should haul ***.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:34 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by ridemywg
Why on earth would the weiner even touch the motor at 25 k , barely broken in. Do a compression test. That bike should haul ***.
Agree! There comes a time when going to a local indy makes sense and I feel this is one of them. If the bike is running rough, get a second opinion from someone who earns his keep working on Harleys. Might be something very simple that is not obvious. It ain't worth much to sell if it isn't running right. And buying a shovel is not the antidote!

Quick Reply: yes or no