EVO All Evo Model Discussion

cv carb

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 03:14 AM
brwdarr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on the jet sizes, I got my info out of my maint manuel which said stock jet size for my bike was #45 and #185. calif. model had the # 165 main jet. anyway I agree with you about how little time you spend on the main jet circuit. my problem is somewhere else. I've replace the enricher cable and brass end piece. turns out the cable is longer than my old one. for it to fit in bracket I have to cram it inbetween the jugs. I 'm thinking they sold me the wrong cable. also i order a voes switch to replace mine with. my switch seams to be ok when I test it by piching off vacum hose and also by disconnecting the wire, but to eliminate it as a problem I'll just replace it. I was also thinking about soaking my carb again. maybe there still trash stuck somewhere. what do you all soak your carb in? I use a gasoline the last time.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:22 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brwdarr
on the jet sizes, I got my info out of my maint manuel which said stock jet size for my bike was #45 and #185. calif. model had the # 165 main jet. anyway I agree with you about how little time you spend on the main jet circuit. my problem is somewhere else. I've replace the enricher cable and brass end piece. turns out the cable is longer than my old one. for it to fit in bracket I have to cram it inbetween the jugs. I 'm thinking they sold me the wrong cable. also i order a voes switch to replace mine with. my switch seams to be ok when I test it by piching off vacum hose and also by disconnecting the wire, but to eliminate it as a problem I'll just replace it. I was also thinking about soaking my carb again. maybe there still trash stuck somewhere. what do you all soak your carb in? I use a gasoline the last time.
Carb cleaner or parts cleaner. Gasoline won't get the crud off like carb/parts cleaner will. Gasoline left the crud there in the first place!

Didn't realize your bike was a 1990 until I went back and reread your original post. My 1995/96 H-D Service Manual says (for 1995) a 175 main for 49-state and Cal, 180 HDI; and 42 low-speed jet for all. For 1996, it says 175 main jet for 49-state, and 180 for Cal and HDI; and 42 low-speed jet for all. So it looks like they've changed the jet sizes around a bit across the years of the Evo.

I'd stay with what the manual says for your year, but I'd get the Sportster needle for the slide. That will make the midrange richer as the slide comes up as you open the throttle, and noticeably increase performance over the stock slide needle.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:52 AM
92Fatty
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you pull the carb apart check and see what needle is in it. It should be labeled. I run the above 88 sportster needle with no shims under it. My fatboy is stock except for V&H longshots no baffles and hypercharger. I have it jetted with the 45 and 175. Idle mix screw is just a hair under 2 turns out. As for your enrichener cable I had to change mine out and it was longer also. It must just be a mod from the factory. I very rarely use my choke. I use it to fire it up and then turn it off and take it to 1500 until I feel heat coming off of the jugs.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:36 PM
brwdarr
Advanced

88 sportster needle? 1200cc or 883. do they carry this in stock at dealership? I would like to try this. also, I have to use the enricher alot or I can't keep bike running. it takes awhile before I can push choke all the way in. it will cough alot to. even after engine cool down while i'm having lunch I have to choke it. i alway just thought it was cold nature. maybe it is to lean of a mixture. i don't know, but i wish I didn't have to use the enricher.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:21 PM
92Fatty
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lightweight bob
Stock except for pipes and air cleaner? The old standard is 2-2 1/2 turns out idle mix
screw and replace the needle with 1988 Sportster - needle N65C part # 277094-88.
Clean carb with Gumout Jet Spray while it's apart.

If you have a vacuum leak, it will not fix / cover it up - just put your jetting spot on.
IMHO.
Bob posted the info earlier. What size pipes do you have?

Old 08-15-2010, 10:05 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by 92Fatty
II very rarely use my choke. I use it to fire it up and then turn it off and take it to 1500 until I feel heat coming off of the jugs.
88 sportster needle? 1200cc or 883. do they carry this in stock at dealership? I would like to try this. also, I have to use the enricher alot or I can't keep bike running. it takes awhile before I can push choke all the way in. it will cough alot to. even after engine cool down while i'm having lunch I have to choke it. i alway just thought it was cold nature. maybe it is to lean of a mixture. i don't know, but i wish I didn't have to use the enricher.
88 Sportster needle 1200. The dealer should carry it or can order it.

If you are having to use the enrichener that much, then you may be running too lean. 45 idle and 175 main should fix that. If not, then a 48 idle and 185 main will.

Like 92Fatty, I use the enrichener to cold start, and then use the throttle lock to keep the engine at 1500 RPM, and back off the enrichener as soon as I can. Leaving it on very long will foul the plugs pretty quickly.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:52 PM
brwdarr
Advanced

Originally Posted by 92Fatty
Bob posted the info earlier. What size pipes do you have?

I have the samson slip-on muffler. they are square looking ones. don't know what kind of samson. I have the stock pipes on the bike.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:03 PM
brwdarr
Advanced

Originally Posted by NorthGeorgiaHawg
88 Sportster needle 1200. The dealer should carry it or can order it.

If you are having to use the enrichener that much, then you may be running too lean. 45 idle and 175 main should fix that. If not, then a 48 idle and 185 main will.

Like 92Fatty, I use the enrichener to cold start, and then use the throttle lock to keep the engine at 1500 RPM, and back off the enrichener as soon as I can. Leaving it on very long will foul the plugs pretty quickly.

I have the #45 jet and the #185 main jet already in the carb. I use my throttle lock today to warm the engine. it work really well. my plugs looks a little bit on the lean side, but my exhaust has a gas smell that makes me think it is rich. only smell the gas at idle. I thought about going another 1/4 turn out on my mixing screw. that would be almost 2 turn out total. I may also change plugs tomorrow. it is possible I might have foul one with the enricher. thanks

Old 08-16-2010, 04:45 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

I have the #45 jet and the #185 main jet already in the carb. I use my throttle lock today to warm the engine. it work really well. my plugs looks a little bit on the lean side, but my exhaust has a gas smell that makes me think it is rich. only smell the gas at idle. I thought about going another 1/4 turn out on my mixing screw. that would be almost 2 turn out total. I may also change plugs tomorrow. it is possible I might have foul one with the enricher. thanks
Evos generally need at least 2 turns out... up to 3 on some bikes. I have Bertha set at about 2 3/8 turns out, and she seems to be happy. I fiddle with the idle mixture a lot though... I have one of those "easy adjust" idle mixture screws that stick out of the bottom of the carb about 1", with a 3/8" knurled **** on the end that I can turn it by hand. So much easier then the stock screw buried up in the little idle hole. I turned it all the way in until it was gently seated, then drew a mark on the screw head with a Sharpie, so I can tell how many turns out the screw is.

You want to adjust the idle mixture in until the engine starts to stumble at idle, then back the screw out bit by bit until the idle smoothes out, then another 1/8 turn out. That should be the "sweet spot"!

Old 08-16-2010, 05:40 AM
brwdarr
Advanced

i wish i had the easy adjustable screw on mine. the only screwdriver that I have that will fit in the hole is a bit to long. I have to take breather box off and pull carb out of intake to be able to turn screw. I quess an easier way is to buy a shorter screwdriver. I still might have to remove air breather to have enough room. I believe I read somewhere the engine needs to be warm to set the mixture the way you describe. i'm off work the next few days, so I have plenty of time to work with it. thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: cv carb