EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Upgrading an 88 FLHTP Drivetrain

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 09:30 PM
shovhd
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Upgrading an 88 FLHTP Drivetrain

Been throwing this idea around for a while and I want to start picking up some parts for the swap. The idea is to upgrade to an Ultima 113 ( I'd do a 124 if they ever start selling it) or S$S 111. Buy an Ultima 6 speed and swap out the guts to my tranny. This will give me a splined mainshaft so I have to swap to a 90+ clutch. I might as well swap out the primary case to one with the later starter while I'm at it. So my questions are:

1. What year of inner primary will bolt on? 1989 to ????
2. Do I have to swap out the outer primary as well?
3. Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks

Old 07-12-2010, 02:24 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts

I have an S&S 107 in my 1990 FLHS. I have owned the bike from new and still have the original transmission, clutch even clutch plates. The only non-stock parts in the driveline are a Barnett clutch spring. My starter is the original one, although I did fit a new clutch to it some years ago. My S&S has automatic decompressors. Why do you want to change so much? You might also read through threads on here about Ultima engines. Frankly I wouldn't buy one unless I lived in sight of the factory! By reducing your expenditure on unnecessary stuff you could buy yourself an S&S 124.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:38 AM
shovhd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by grbrown
I have an S&S 107 in my 1990 FLHS. I have owned the bike from new and still have the original transmission, clutch even clutch plates. The only non-stock parts in the driveline are a Barnett clutch spring. My starter is the original one, although I did fit a new clutch to it some years ago. My S&S has automatic decompressors. Why do you want to change so much? You might also read through threads on here about Ultima engines. Frankly I wouldn't buy one unless I lived in sight of the factory! By reducing your expenditure on unnecessary stuff you could buy yourself an S&S 124.
Thanks for the feedback Graham. I'm not one to spend money just for the sake of spending it...are right, maybe I am a bit.....but my 88 has the old small starter (changed in 89) and the clutch hub with a keyway instead of a spline (changed in 90-91). So those are 2 very useful upgrades, especially if I plan on making large power. I'll pick most of it up off of ebay, once I'm sure of exactly what I need. As for buying an Ultima versus an S&S, they a both US made and most people only post their problems. I can find as many complaints about S&S as I can about Ultima. Not that I'm sold yet, someone on here was saying you could pick up an S&S 111 for $5395 with the IST and a 3 year warranty. That's worth looking into as well. Wonder where they saw that listed?

Nigel

Old 07-12-2010, 08:55 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by shovhd
Not that I'm sold yet, someone on here was saying you could pick up an S&S 111 for $5395 with the IST and a 3 year warranty. That's worth looking into as well. Wonder where they saw that listed?

Nigel
Nigel - that was me. I saw it on the S&S Cycles site itself. There's a page there that lists all of the different engines. The 113" engine was around $1500 more expensive than the V111 Touring engine. I don't understand why the V111 is so much lower in price than the other engines, but it is.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:39 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Thanks for the feedback Graham. I'm not one to spend money just for the sake of spending it...are right, maybe I am a bit.....but my 88 has the old small starter (changed in 89) and the clutch hub with a keyway instead of a spline (changed in 90-91). So those are 2 very useful upgrades, especially if I plan on making large power. I'll pick most of it up off of ebay, once I'm sure of exactly what I need. As for buying an Ultima versus an S&S, they a both US made and most people only post their problems. I can find as many complaints about S&S as I can about Ultima. Not that I'm sold yet, someone on here was saying you could pick up an S&S 111 for $5395 with the IST and a 3 year warranty. That's worth looking into as well. Wonder where they saw that listed?

Nigel
Nigel,

I don't like to replace more than necessary when building what is an expensive project! Any engine is darned expensive. The S&S T111 is their successor to my V107T, which came with IST and 3 year warranty. Both are tuned expressly as touring engines, while the 113 has a rather odd torque curve, or it did have at the time I was choosing which one to buy.

S&S publishes dyno results for their engines. My 107 gives the same torque but slightly higher HP than they claim. With over 10k miles it now feels stronger than when it was dynoed, so may be giving better figures. Both S&S's touring engines will pull full throttle from below 2,000rpm, which none of the others do.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:19 AM
shovhd
Cruiser

So my questions are:

1. What year of inner primary will bolt on? 1989 to ????
2. Do I have to swap out the outer primary as well?
3. Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks
Seems like we got caught up in the engine swap and missed the first 2 questions. or maybe nobody has an answer. That's ok too.

So will a 89+ Touring primary bolt on? Can I just run a splined clutch in my original primary and keep the small starter?

Thanks

Old 07-14-2010, 07:03 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,209 Likes on 4,918 Posts

A clutch from model years `90-`93 will have the same size starter ring gear (66 tooth) as you have now, and will also have the same size primary chain sprockets (37 tooth).

You might also consider staying with a 5 speed transmission, you can probably come across a late model gearset on ebay for a good price.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:47 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Dan on the parts issue. HD changed the inner,outer, clutch basket,Jackshaft tooth count and engine sprocket in 94. I've got a Baker DD6 in my FXR. Running the Baker larger tooth engine sprocket with a 2 pin longer chain with my stock 93 clutch basket. Also using an E-One extra plate clutch and spring and an Ultima 1.4 starter. With 98.6hp/95.3tq have not had a single problem with the driveline.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:33 AM
td17056
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my 2 cents worth.....Why....can't everyone just answer his questions. opinions are like.......
Come on guys, help the man out! What fits and what won't.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:25 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Red face

Originally Posted by td17056
Just my 2 cents worth.....Why....can't everyone just answer his questions. opinions are like.......
Come on guys, help the man out! What fits and what won't.
We've only got to #10! We're only just warming to this thread, so give us a little time. Besides, 1 and 2 are not as interesting!

I suspect both new engine and transmission will fit a range of primaries. shovhd, if you don't get any sensible answers out of us you should ask each of those suppliers what their products will mate with. I suspect any evo primary will fit both. If buying an inner my instinct tells me to buy a matching outer at the same time. Removes any doubt.

Come #33 we will probably have this cracked!

Quick Reply: Upgrading an 88 FLHTP Drivetrain