EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Upgrading an 88 FLHTP Drivetrain

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 09:07 PM
IronButt62
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did this on my 87 Heritage a couple years back. 113 with 6 speed and complete new primary/clutch starter. Mostly e-bay for everything. BDL clutch, 05 Primary. Had a couple of clearance issues, but the touring models have more clearance. Runs like a new bike now. Also sold all my take offs for about a third of what I spent on the upgrade. Total out of pocket was around $3500.

Like the 6 speed but now understand when folks say its only useful above 70. I got a lot of pinging rolling on from 3000 RPM's in 5th and 6th. Tried octane boost, tried VOES to no avail. didn't feel like swapping ignition. Reduced comp sprocket to a 23 and ping problem went away. Dropped from low 80's to high 70's at 3000 RPM, but figure it is fast enough and more fun to drive.

If you want to go cheap, get a 5 speed take off (Splined shaft) and run a 34/65 pulley combo. If you are replacing the primary you could also muck about with those ratios. Won't be as quick off the line, but will get you a poor man's 6th gear on the road.

Good luck. Nothing like doing it yourself.

Oh yeah. If you change the starter recommend all *****. The e-bay ultima only held up for about 5K miles.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:32 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shovhd
hmmm... that's got me thinking. Why not upgrade the whole deal, a bit at a time? It's the same frame, so why not a 93+ tranny/oil bag, primary, clutch and relocate the battery? Then new saddle bags that actually work and hold stuff.
I don't know if the frame changed between '88 and '93. I know the touring frame changed in '97 - it got wider in the middle and rear - not much, but enough to hold a bigger battery, and the rear end got about 1/4" wider. That's why the MoCo has so many accessories that state they fit "97 and later" bikes. I found that out fitting a '97-and-later detachable Tour Pak rack to Bertha. Made it work by simply shimming the mounting bolts out about 3/32" on each side so the rack lined up with the fittings on the mounting bolts.

So, to your bike - you could probably make all that work if your '88 frame and the '93-later frames are the same, and they probably are, or so close that it wouldn't matter. The engine and tranny mounts would have to be the same across those years, I would think. The trick will be to find a 93-later oil pan and 5-speed tranny case at a reasonable price. I've seen lots of trannys in the aftermarket, but they tend to be pretty expensive, and if you're going to a big powerful engine, you'll want a good tranny like a Baker or something, and a good clutch like a Rivera, etc. Those aren't cheap!

The pan is actually TWO pans in one - the front part for the engine oil, and the rear part for the tranny fluid. A new 5-speed tranny would also have the splined shaft for a new style wet clutch. You could also find or fabricate a battery box as well.

A bit at a time is probably appropriate... All this is going to require some "nontrivial cash outlay"!

On Edit: A little more info... my 1995 Police Parts catalog lists -94 suffixes for the inner primary housing and primary cover - so the primary may have changed in '94.

The inner primary housing is shown as P/N 60432-94 - this is a wrinkle black part for the Police bikes - so that may be the only difference from the older inner primary housings that came in a natural finish, or there may be other changes made that year as well.

The primary cover is shown as P/N 60665-94 - and it's chrome. Don't know if the older primary covers were chrome or not... that may be the only difference made in '94, and that difference might only have been for the Police models, or it may have been for all of the touring bikes...

Last edited by NorthGeorgiaHawg; 07-16-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:14 AM
shovhd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by IronButt62
Did this on my 87 Heritage a couple years back. 113 with 6 speed and complete new primary/clutch starter. Mostly e-bay for everything. BDL clutch, 05 Primary. Had a couple of clearance issues, but the touring models have more clearance. Runs like a new bike now. Also sold all my take offs for about a third of what I spent on the upgrade. Total out of pocket was around $3500.

Like the 6 speed but now understand when folks say its only useful above 70. I got a lot of pinging rolling on from 3000 RPM's in 5th and 6th. Tried octane boost, tried VOES to no avail. didn't feel like swapping ignition. Reduced comp sprocket to a 23 and ping problem went away. Dropped from low 80's to high 70's at 3000 RPM, but figure it is fast enough and more fun to drive.

If you want to go cheap, get a 5 speed take off (Splined shaft) and run a 34/65 pulley combo. If you are replacing the primary you could also muck about with those ratios. Won't be as quick off the line, but will get you a poor man's 6th gear on the road.

Good luck. Nothing like doing it yourself.

Oh yeah. If you change the starter recommend all *****. The e-bay ultima only held up for about 5K miles.
Thanks for the feedback. That's kinda how I'm planning on doing it, cheap as possible but with decent quality. I don't have money to throw away, but I don't like doing it twice. What did you use for an engine? I'll keep thinking the trans thing over. I have Andrews gears with a Jim's mainshaft now, so maybe I'll just swap out the mainshaft for a 1990 one. Supposedly they work with my gearset and the splined clutch hub..

Old 07-17-2010, 01:24 AM
shovhd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by NorthGeorgiaHawg
I don't know if the frame changed between '88 and '93. I know the touring frame changed in '97 - it got wider in the middle and rear - not much, but enough to hold a bigger battery, and the rear end got about 1/4" wider. That's why the MoCo has so many accessories that state they fit "97 and later" bikes. I found that out fitting a '97-and-later detachable Tour Pak rack to Bertha. Made it work by simply shimming the mounting bolts out about 3/32" on each side so the rack lined up with the fittings on the mounting bolts.

So, to your bike - you could probably make all that work if your '88 frame and the '93-later frames are the same, and they probably are, or so close that it wouldn't matter. The engine and tranny mounts would have to be the same across those years, I would think. The trick will be to find a 93-later oil pan and 5-speed tranny case at a reasonable price. I've seen lots of trannys in the aftermarket, but they tend to be pretty expensive, and if you're going to a big powerful engine, you'll want a good tranny like a Baker or something, and a good clutch like a Rivera, etc. Those aren't cheap!

The pan is actually TWO pans in one - the front part for the engine oil, and the rear part for the tranny fluid. A new 5-speed tranny would also have the splined shaft for a new style wet clutch. You could also find or fabricate a battery box as well.

A bit at a time is probably appropriate... All this is going to require some "nontrivial cash outlay"!

On Edit: A little more info... my 1995 Police Parts catalog lists -94 suffixes for the inner primary housing and primary cover - so the primary may have changed in '94.

The inner primary housing is shown as P/N 60432-94 - this is a wrinkle black part for the Police bikes - so that may be the only difference from the older inner primary housings that came in a natural finish, or there may be other changes made that year as well.

The primary cover is shown as P/N 60665-94 - and it's chrome. Don't know if the older primary covers were chrome or not... that may be the only difference made in '94, and that difference might only have been for the Police models, or it may have been for all of the touring bikes...
I know the clutch changed in 94, but the trans, the engine and the frame are the same. So, logically, everything from 90-96 should fit my bike as long as I use the same year of primary, clutch and trans mainshaft. Maybe I'll just pick up the cheapest set I can find off ebay and try it out. If it doesn't work I can always resell it.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:41 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts

This is only on the fringe of things, but the swingarms right through to 2007 are interchangeable, the only change to them being a larger diameter axle in 2002 on. So further to NorthGeorgiaHawg's observations, any frame changes from 94 must be comparatively minor, as far as the driveline is concerned.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:50 AM
IronButt62
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shovhd
... What did you use for an engine?
... so maybe I'll just swap out the mainshaft for a 1990 one. Supposedly they work with my gearset and the splined clutch hub..
Ultima 113 direct from Jireh.

Sounds like your trans is built enough to handle the extra power. if you could get by with a main shaft swap and perhaps a beefed clutch, that would probably be the easiest way to go.

One last thing:the 113" had an intake leak out of the box. Never could get it to show up with carb cleaner/WD40, and tried all sorts of carb adjustments. Finally replaced the gaskets and it's been fine ever since. That was the only real problem I have had with it. 113 is a good choice. Runs like a raped ape and get's low 40's highway low 30's around town.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:18 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,208 Likes on 4,917 Posts

The 1990 mainshaft is the only splined mainshaft that can be used with your current gearset. The mainshaft changed in `91 to a larger diameter, so all the gears also changed.

Rather than change just the shaft and use your old gears, you would probably be better off to just find a later model take off gearset.

Ideally an `98 or `99 gearset with trapdoor, because these gearsets have the improved (larger) bearings in the trapdoor.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:40 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
The 1990 mainshaft is the only splined mainshaft that can be used with your current gearset. The mainshaft changed in `91 to a larger diameter, so all the gears also changed.

Rather than change just the shaft and use your old gears, you would probably be better off to just find a later model take off gearset.

Ideally an `98 or `99 gearset with trapdoor, because these gearsets have the improved (larger) bearings in the trapdoor.
This is why I love the Evo forum. To find these things out anywhere else would be well neigh impossible!

Old 07-18-2010, 09:53 AM
shovhd
Cruiser

I went to the Baker site (not because I can afford one, just for info) and it looks like they sell a builders kit that fits 1990-2006. I imagine that means I can put a gearset from those years right in. Gives me a lot of options when looking on ebay/craigslist.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:20 AM
shovhd
Cruiser

I went to the Baker site (not because I can afford one, just for info) and it looks like they sell a builders kit that fits 1990-2006. I imagine that means I can put a gearset from those years right in. Gives me a lot of options when looking on ebay/craigslist.

Quick Reply: Upgrading an 88 FLHTP Drivetrain