EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Upgrading an 88 FLHTP Drivetrain

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 03:33 PM
shovhd
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Come #33 we will probably have this cracked!

LOL, Im definately in no big hurry. It's still riding season until November.

Whether I go with a big inch crate engine and 6spd tranny or not, I would still like to upgrade from my keyway mainshaft and clutch hub to a splined one. The hub is a weak design and probably wouldn't hold up to large torque. I've already had to repair the pressed on ring gear once already. I'd also like to go with the larger 1989+ starter. My old Hitachi starter moans and groans something awful just trying roll my 11-1 comp 80" over.

So, will a 1989+ Touring inner primary fit my bike and work with the newer starter and splined mainshaft/clutch hub? What ranged of years for inner/outer primary should I be looking for? 1989-1998?

Thanks for everyone's input to date. I'm sure we'll be having the Ultima vs S&S debate again later, after I've got this one licked.

Nigel

Old 07-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,209 Likes on 4,918 Posts

Originally Posted by td17056
Just my 2 cents worth.....Why....can't everyone just answer his questions. opinions are like.......
Come on guys, help the man out! What fits and what won't.
Maybe because some of us have been through this before and we just might be able to help with a suggestion of something different.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:35 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by td17056
Just my 2 cents worth.....Why....can't everyone just answer his questions. opinions are like.......
Come on guys, help the man out! What fits and what won't.
Why don't you post some answers, dude? The OP doesn't seem to have any issues with the posts here... so why do you?

Old 07-15-2010, 07:06 PM
shovhd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by NorthGeorgiaHawg
Why don't you post some answers, dude? The OP doesn't seem to have any issues with the posts here... so why do you?

Oh, I've got issues

But not with this thread.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:00 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by shovhd
Oh, I've got issues

But not with this thread.
HA HA HA! Don't we all, man? Don't we all?

Hey - just noticed you're another FLHTP rider!

Last edited by NorthGeorgiaHawg; 07-15-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:02 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 142 Likes on 81 Posts

1. What year of inner primary will bolt on? 1989 to ????

I wouldn't go with the 89 as they have the old style clutch key way and uncommon starter.

I'd go with a 1990, 91 , 92 factory 5 speed and the same inner / outer primary clutch and starter years.

Just me -but I'd run a a bigger front tranny pully to lower the revs on the highway - any of the motors your talking about will definitly pull the taller gearing.

I'd also look at upgrading the swing arm and the cleavblocks since your going to be putting a hell of a lot of torque on the old setup.

2. Do I have to swap out the outer primary as well?

I would and I'd make sure that the inner and outer were the same years to save yourself hassles with starter jackshaft lengths, clutch clearance, etc..

3. Anything else I should be aware of?

Just BUILD IT and POST the PICS !

Last edited by 89FLHT; 07-16-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:08 PM
shovhd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 89FLHT
1. What year of inner primary will bolt on? 1989 to ????

I wouldn't go with the 89 as they have the old style clutch key way and uncommon starter.

I'd go with a 1990, 91 , 92 factory 5 speed and the same inner / outer primary clutch and starter years.

Just me -but I'd run a a bigger front tranny pully to lower the revs on the highway - any of the motors your talking about will definitly pull the taller gearing.

I'd also look at upgrading the swing arm and the cleavblocks since your going to be putting a hell of a lot of torque on the old setup.

2. Do I have to swap out the outer primary as well?

I would and I'd make sure that the inner and outer were the same years to save yourself hassles with starter jackshaft lengths, clutch clearance, etc..

3. Anything else I should be aware of?

Just BUILD IT and POST the PICS !
LOL, patience. This won't happen until this winter. What changed in 1993? I have a line on a complete primary drive from a 93 FLHS. Clutch, chain, comp sprocket, inner and outer. Guess I'll have to keep lookin. I do plan on swapping to the late swingarm. This bikes gonna look like Johnny Cash's Cadillac by the time I'm done.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:19 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by shovhd
LOL, patience. This won't happen until this winter. What changed in 1993? I have a line on a complete primary drive from a 93 FLHS. Clutch, chain, comp sprocket, inner and outer. Guess I'll have to keep lookin. I do plan on swapping to the late swingarm. This bikes gonna look like Johnny Cash's Cadillac by the time I'm done.
In 1993 they moved the oil tank down under the tranny on the touring bikes, like the Dynas... which eliminated the old sumping issues from leaky oil pump check valves. They also moved the battery under the seat in 93, so it was the first year for a full-size saddlebag on the right on FLHTs. Don't know if the primary cases changed in that year though.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:41 PM
shovhd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by NorthGeorgiaHawg
In 1993 they moved the oil tank down under the tranny on the touring bikes, like the Dynas... which eliminated the old sumping issues from leaky oil pump check valves. They also moved the battery under the seat in 93, so it was the first year for a full-size saddlebag on the right on FLHTs. Don't know if the primary cases changed in that year though.
hmmm... that's got me thinking. Why not upgrade the whole deal, a bit at a time? It's the same frame, so why not a 93+ tranny/oil bag, primary, clutch and relocate the battery? Then new saddle bags that actually work and hold stuff.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:40 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,209 Likes on 4,918 Posts

You can use all the `93 driveline gear in your bike, just use your transmission case, the gearset will go right in.

Quick Reply: Upgrading an 88 FLHTP Drivetrain