EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Super G on a 91 EVO

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 02:39 PM
MDodson
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super G on a 91 EVO

Is a Super G to much for a stock Evo? I am picking up a 91 UltraClassic tomorrow and it has been sitting for a while so it needs alot of cleaning. The Super G has been stored out of the weather . Thanks MDodson

Old 07-08-2010, 03:06 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I have a Super G on my S&S 107. It does seem rather too big for a stock evo.

I have had experience in the past of a carb that was not big enough and another that was too big. The first would strangle the engine even stall it when opening the throttle quickly. The second flooded the engine when doing the same. In both cases the bike ran badly although OK on mild throttle settings. My guess is the G would flood a stock evo.

Last edited by grbrown; 07-08-2010 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Added para.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:28 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The Super G is far too large of a carb for an 80" Evo. It's more for 96" and up engines that need a lot of airflow at a high velocity. Air volume AND velocity are what you are looking for. The Super G has such a large intake size, you would not get the needed air velocity through it on anything but a radically modified 80" engine. Much better to stick with the stock CV carb or a Super E - their smaller intake sizes will produce perfectly adequate airflow at a much higher velocity, which will give you much better performance by producing better cylinder fill.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:51 PM
98 FLHX
Tourer

Originally Posted by MDodson
Is a Super G to much for a stock Evo? I am picking up a 91 UltraClassic tomorrow and it has been sitting for a while so it needs alot of cleaning. The Super G has been stored out of the weather . Thanks MDodson
Yep...not the right carb for an 80"...too big.

Simply put, a properly tuned CV carb is more than enough for an 80" motor. Fact is, the CV is a pretty damn good carb.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:00 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by 93 FXR
Yep...not the right carb for an 80"...too big.

Simply put, a properly tuned CV carb is more than enough for an 80" motor. Fact is, the CV is a pretty damn good carb.
+1 I can't see any reason at all to shell out $300-$400 for a Super E or a Mikuni, when the CV is all you need on an Evo. Simple and super-easy to tune, too.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:51 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by NorthGeorgiaHawg
The Super G is far too large of a carb for an 80" Evo. It's more for 96" and up engines that need a lot of airflow at a high velocity. Air volume AND velocity are what you are looking for. The Super G has such a large intake size, you would not get the needed air velocity through it on anything but a radically modified 80" engine. Much better to stick with the stock CV carb or a Super E - their smaller intake sizes will produce perfectly adequate airflow at a much higher velocity, which will give you much better performance by producing better cylinder fill.
An absolutely factual and well written post.

If it were me I would go with a stock CV carb which will handle up to 85hp easily (with tweaking) if you want to get away from bone stock power sometime in the future.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:06 AM
MDodson
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was only going to use it because it comes with the bike and does not need building. Thanks for the info. Maybe I can sell it and get a kit for the CV carb

Old 07-09-2010, 03:20 AM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the "kits" for cv carbs are unnecessary, all you need are jets and maybe a needle depending on your setup.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll agree to disagree with some of you. I absolutely love my S&S E once it was properly setup. The carb was on the bike when I bought it, so had to work with what was there. Even after my engine mods, the carb was still easily tunable thanks to the help of Deathwish.

I'd like to try a CV just for the hell of it to see if it makes a difference. The altitude compensation part of the CV and tunability is what I like. Although I have advertised as a WTB on several forums, I cannot find a later model complete setup to bolt on. I won't buy a carb on eBay as there are just too many problems with used parts. A carb is pretty important part and would prefer to buy one from a trusted member. That being said, if anyone has anything late model that is unmolested that will fit a 93 EVO, send me a PM.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:55 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
I'll agree to disagree with some of you. I absolutely love my S&S E once it was properly setup. The carb was on the bike when I bought it, so had to work with what was there. Even after my engine mods, the carb was still easily tunable thanks to the help of Deathwish.

I'd like to try a CV just for the hell of it to see if it makes a difference. The altitude compensation part of the CV and tunability is what I like. Although I have advertised as a WTB on several forums, I cannot find a later model complete setup to bolt on. I won't buy a carb on eBay as there are just too many problems with used parts. A carb is pretty important part and would prefer to buy one from a trusted member. That being said, if anyone has anything late model that is unmolested that will fit a 93 EVO, send me a PM.
Yes, if you prefer an S&S carb, the Super E that you have is absolutely the right choice for an Evo... but the Super G that the OP asked about would be too big. You can buy CV carbs on eBay or at swap meets quite inexpensively.

I've thought about trying to find a CV carb with the right cruise control connector button that Bertha's CV does not have. I'd love to have a true cruise control on her. That's the only thing she really lacks...

Quick Reply: Super G on a 91 EVO