EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Super G on a 91 EVO

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 05:46 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
I'll agree to disagree with some of you. I absolutely love my S&S E once it was properly setup. The carb was on the bike when I bought it, so had to work with what was there. Even after my engine mods, the carb was still easily tunable thanks to the help of Deathwish.

I'd like to try a CV just for the hell of it to see if it makes a difference. The altitude compensation part of the CV and tunability is what I like. Although I have advertised as a WTB on several forums, I cannot find a later model complete setup to bolt on. I won't buy a carb on eBay as there are just too many problems with used parts. A carb is pretty important part and would prefer to buy one from a trusted member. That being said, if anyone has anything late model that is unmolested that will fit a 93 EVO, send me a PM.
I have a S&S E setup on my built softail EVO that I like very much. The butterfly provides instant throttle response and I have it set up quite well. At steady cruise at about 1/4 throttle it's not as smooth as I would like it but the trade off at other rpm/speed settings make it worthwhile-- especially wide open!

I have a CV carb takeoff from a 2004 model something or other that I got from Ebay absolutely untouched. it was a "brand new" take off-- still has the idle air screw plug intact. I'm going to take off the S&S and try the CV someday....

Old 07-11-2010, 07:47 PM
TheBikingViking
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by NorthGeorgiaHawg
The Super G is far too large of a carb for an 80" Evo. It's more for 96" and up engines that need a lot of airflow at a high velocity. Air volume AND velocity are what you are looking for. The Super G has such a large intake size, you would not get the needed air velocity through it on anything but a radically modified 80" engine. Much better to stick with the stock CV carb or a Super E - their smaller intake sizes will produce perfectly adequate airflow at a much higher velocity, which will give you much better performance by producing better cylinder fill.
Could not have said this better, I would listen to this man.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:47 AM
jokenroll
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Super G is way too big! Don't even try it on a stock Evo.
I tried on 93.5", with medium-aggressive crane cam and edelbrock heads, even with DaVinchi booster. Spent a fortune and hell of a time on both (!) jets!
No no and no!
Super E with default jets (72 and 29.5 if I'm not mistaken) would do it.