EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Wheels Redux Again

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Craneman1
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mid 90's wheel swap

I know, I know, There's a million threads "like" this one, but, there's not, I read most of them. I'm kinda gettin' an idea on what I'll need but things just jumped into high gear. I have a line on a set of stock, "like brand new", 10 spoke alloys from a mid "90's" bagger or Road King. These are my dream wheels, I'd like to put these on my 92 Heritage.

So far I'll need the rear disk and a bolt on hub cap for the right side of the front wheel. I've been told everything else looks like a straight forward bolt up.

Please add what you can. Will they fit? What do I need to do, buy, steal, lease, etc. to get these beauties on my scooter?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by Craneman1; 07-07-2010 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Retitled
Old 07-07-2010, 06:00 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

As long as they take 3/4 in bearings it's a go and one can adapt 1 in bearings but brake rotors and belt sprockets have to be changed or machined

Old 07-08-2010, 08:22 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I know RK owners who have fitted Fatboy wheels, so it looks as if you have a viable project there! You should find both sets of wheels use 3/4" tapered roller bearings, I believe. You should find all your hardware will transfer, such as rotors and rear pulley. Hopefully someone will call by who has done it!

Old 07-08-2010, 08:42 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I know RK owners who have fitted Fatboy wheels, so it looks as if you have a viable project there! You should find both sets of wheels use 3/4" tapered roller bearings, I believe. You should find all your hardware will transfer, such as rotors and rear pulley. Hopefully someone will call by who has done it!
Craneman: Interesting you are trying to fit bagger wheels to a Softail. I've been thinking, as Graham said others have done, about fitting Fat Boy chrome wheels onto Bertha, my 95 FLHTP. I love those solid wheels with the .50 cal bullet holes!

Bertha has the exact 10-spoke wheels you are wanting to fit on your Softail. The front wheels on Harley touring bikes have dual brake discs - so that might or might not be an issue if you want to run with your Heritage's existing single-disc front end. Harley didn't go to 1" axles and wheel bearings until 2000, so the bearings are not an issue - they were all 3/4" in those years.

I would think that the spacers would be the trickiest part - to make sure the pulley and brake rotor each line up properly on the rear wheel, and the disc lines up properly on the front wheel. But there are so many aftermarket sources for things like wheel spacers, that probably won't be much of an issue either.

I can't tell you exactly how to do this swap, but I will be following this thread with interest!