EVO All Evo Model Discussion

leaking from primary

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 11:14 PM
BB4xl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 87 FLHTC. The manual says 44-48ozs. I always have put in a quart and a half. Never had any overflow issues. You said it was 100 degrees. Maybe somthing expanded from heat. Just a thought. Look at the inner primary seal from the bottom, maybe clean it and keep an eye on it. I would redo the primary gasket torque to spec. Look around inside the primary with a good light see if you see any cracks or anything else. I use black permatex on the gasket on mine.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:36 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,399 Likes on 5,006 Posts

Chop66, The problem with the reserve may be that the screen inside the fuel tank is partially blocked.

Remove the fuel petcock and and clean the screen and you should regain your reserve capacity.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:49 AM
chop66
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the petcock info, i will check this when i do the service this coming week.

The thing that alarmed me the most was that i was about 300mi into a 700mi trip that i was making in one day and the amount of oil that was on the ground. A few drops not that big of a deal. This has not happened since. Thanks again folks for the tips it is a great help to me as i am a newbie with the american iron.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:23 PM
BungoBill
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had an unusual/occasional "oil" leak problem which only happened once or twice last year. After investigation it turned out that the "oil" was coming from the Crankcase Breather. There is a pipe from the Breather which enters the Air Filter Housing (l/h side) and exits (r/h side or under) with excess " breathed" oil from another pipe down to the front of the Crankcase. Maybe your breather pipe exits somewhere else and that is where "leak" is coming from. Just a suggestion. Bungo

Old 07-05-2010, 08:50 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chop66
I have a 1988 tour glide with 25,000 mi on it. I bought it almost two years ago with 22,000 mi on it. This is my first harley and I really enjoy this bike. Since I have had it it will leave a small spot on the garage floor (not a big deal) about the size of a quarter maybe bigger. On a trip up to salt lake (about 700 mi one way) I stopped to get some gas right before I got into utah and ate some lunch and before i got on the bike I noticed a large pool of fluid under the bike. Unfortunaetly i really could not see where it had been leaking from. The engine oil was full and when i checked the primary it took about a quart. Since this happened I have probably put another 1500-2000mi on the bike and this has not happened again.

I am puzzled, any ideas on how this could have happend, what may be some things to check or look out for?? I have the service manual and enjoy working on my bikes. Thanks in advance guys!
That derby cover with 3 bolts is very easy to warp. I had to cover mine with a rag and straighten it with a rubber mallet. When reinstalling it. HD has the newer flat gasket that covers the cover's complete area. Get that gasket and get the large "O" ring that fits in the recessed grove as well. I used both together and made it so that if I needed to remove the derby cover I could. The two together will stop any leaks in that area.

zoood

Old 07-05-2010, 08:14 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BungoBill
I had an unusual/occasional "oil" leak problem which only happened once or twice last year. After investigation it turned out that the "oil" was coming from the Crankcase Breather. There is a pipe from the Breather which enters the Air Filter Housing (l/h side) and exits (r/h side or under) with excess " breathed" oil from another pipe down to the front of the Crankcase. Maybe your breather pipe exits somewhere else and that is where "leak" is coming from. Just a suggestion. Bungo
Bingo. Sounds like the OP has a bottom breather and maybe over-filled the oil tank and she puked a little.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:17 AM
BungoBill
Road Captain
Thumbs up

GREAT NEWS.!!!!! Bungo

Old 07-07-2010, 07:00 AM
jgc 89
Intermediate

mine puked oil out of the breather from too much oil in the tank also had a leak from the primary had to replace the gasket. went back to 50 wt oil instead of trans fluid.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:28 AM
chop66
Intermediate

jgc 89, why are you using 50 wt instead on the standard tranny fluid ( which I imagine is something like 30 wt oil with friction modifiers)?? Thanks for the input.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:48 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shovhd
My drain plug leaks too. I've tried teflon tape, pipe sealant , gasket silicone and still no luck. I even bought a new drain plug (wasted my money). I changed out all the gaskets and I'm pretty sure it's the drain plug. I use ATF in the primary, RP in the trans and Mobil1 in the engine so I know it's coming from the primary. This is really pissin me off. Any ideas?
It may not be your drain plug at all. I have this same problem on Bertha - until I discovered that it wasn't the primary drain plug, but one of the seals on the inner primary - tranny seal, shifter shaft seal, etc. One or more of them is leaking, and the primary fluid drips down the outside of the inner primary, and drips all the way down to the drain plug... so it looks like the drain plug is leaking, but it's not!

I know this because I've stuck a rag up as far as I can on the outside of the inner primary, and it's always wet on the outside. I haven't gotten around to fixing these primary leak(s), because I haven't gotten sufficiently motivated to pull the inner primary and all that that involves yet... I will this winter when there's no riding to do!

Quick Reply: leaking from primary