EVO All Evo Model Discussion

HID Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 07:07 PM
rivercityslim
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts
Default HID Headlights

I've been thinking about an HID headlight for my 89 Ultra. I did a couple of searches on the forum here and didn't come up with any conclusive stuff. There were a lot of conflicting suggestions, most of which didn't even include an HID light, just some sort of high wattage halogen.

I'm specifically wondering about the kit from Motorcycle Metal. It seems a little pricey, but it is supposed to be essentially a plug-and-play installation, using the original three prong plug, and requiring only mounting of the ballast and connections to the battery and ground. So no real re-wiring. Does anybody have any experience with this, good, bad or indifferent? Or a recommendation for a better kit? I don't mind paying more for something that is easier to install and has trouble free operation, but I don't want to pay top dollar for something that isn't what it claims to be either.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:31 PM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seen two of them installed and the are unbeliveable. Can't fit one onto my FXR or I'd have one too. Just make sure to burn the light in per the manufacturers instructions. Use latex gloves and make sure that the bulb is cleaned with detatured alcohol before firing it up to break it in. They are so good, I can turn my headlight off and run on my Bro's dresser equipped with the HID if need be.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:04 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts

One of the reasons the other threads wander off HID onto other types of bulb is that fitting a different bulb is easy and with the right choice gets great results.

I have a H-D HID kit and do not recommend it, so by looking elsewhere you are doing the wise thing! I have Ohlins shocks from Motorcycle Metal and if Howard's HID kit is as good as they are, you could save yourself time and effort by just getting one.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:31 AM
rivercityslim
Road Master

Well, I ordered the HID kit from Motorcycle Metal. I'll post again once it's here and installed.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:58 AM
rivercityslim
Road Master

Originally Posted by rivercityslim
Well, I ordered the HID kit from Motorcycle Metal. I'll post again once it's here and installed.
Finally got the HID kit installed. I only was able to ride a short distance last night, and most of that was with oncoming traffic so I couldn't use the high beam much. Initial impression is that the light seems brighter and much more widely dispersed, particularly on the high beam. I'm not sure yet if it was worth the money, but it sure seems to work well.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:22 AM
rivercityslim
Road Master

Made a two hour run back from the beach last night leaving around 10 PM; fully dark out. This new HID light is great! I can finally really see where I'm going.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I went to a 90/100 watt halogen headlamp and 55W halogen spots ( wired with their own circuit breaker) and with all three on put out more lumens than just a single HID headlamp ( according to calculations from Wikipedia on the HID headlamps).

Old 09-27-2010, 09:33 AM
rivercityslim
Road Master

Originally Posted by Tactical111
I went to a 90/100 watt halogen headlamp and 55W halogen spots ( wired with their own circuit breaker) and with all three on put out more lumens than just a single HID headlamp ( according to calculations from Wikipedia on the HID headlamps).
This may be true, but your stator is probably groaning under the load. The HID kit I got draws less current than than the stock headlight. I also have 35 watt halogen spots replacing the stock sealed beam spots.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:58 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rivercityslim
This may be true, but your stator is probably groaning under the load. The HID kit I got draws less current than than the stock headlight. I also have 35 watt halogen spots replacing the stock sealed beam spots.
The HID on many lamps only works on low beam, certainly in my Harley factory twin-bulb unit. It is possible to fit up to 100W for the main! I like the idea of the single bulb HID lamps, but haven't come across a decent source here in the UK.

Our Evos will benefit from low power consumption HID lamps to light our way and there are LED 'bulbs' out there that can fit our other lamps including stop/brake and flashers. I even recall mention somewhere of HID spots!

We Evo owners could even find ourselves in the vanguard of adopting hi-tech lighting - even if it is only to give our old electrics an easy time!

Old 09-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,399 Posts

Take a close look at the specs on the "lower wattage" HID system. It isn't the wattage of the bulb, which might be lower, but the whole thing, which is probably higher than the stock bulb. The stock bulb is what? 55W on regular beam? Now look at the actual current draw on the "ballast" thingie of the HID system, not the spec on the bulb. It is probably >55W, or around 4 amps. The actual current draw is hard to track down in the ad hype.

Quick Reply: HID Headlights