EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Harley Evo paint & chrome quality

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys have apparently had better luck than I have. Bought NOS clutch and nosecone parts last year for my 93 FXR through Vintage Parts as they are obsolete. After not even a year, the chrome is pitting and peeling. I clean and detail my bike weekly. My dealer has seen the problem but refuses to help. Guess I'll have to pull the parts and have them rechromed or better yet maybe powder coated. Got nailed for retail plus extra shipping charges for these parts, just my experience to pass along.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:51 PM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey Dale, Thanks for the compliment! My paint and chrome still looks great also. I do have some small scratches that I have carelessly put on the tank. The front fender has a good one when I cranked it in gear one time and it surged forward and into chipper. Made me cry for I had not even done the deal on it yet. That was back in 02. Haven't had a pic of it in my sig for a while so here it is.

PS I do love to show off my bike.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:14 PM
schwangster
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Your wheels ROCK, Mike!

I sit here on a Sat night wondering....
could you powdercoat your fork lowers in the champagne color???
Maybe some midnight red pinstripe around the top?????

just my $.02

Old 06-27-2010, 06:22 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MJ

PS I do love to show off my bike.
Mike - I don't blame you for liking to show it off! That is indeed a very pretty Wide Glide... don't see those colors very often!

Old 06-28-2010, 05:34 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NorthGeorgiaHawg
Mike - I don't blame you for liking to show it off! That is indeed a very pretty Wide Glide... don't see those colors very often!
Its probably the nicest colour combination of all harley's commemoratives.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
You guys have apparently had better luck than I have. Bought NOS clutch and nosecone parts last year for my 93 FXR through Vintage Parts as they are obsolete. After not even a year, the chrome is pitting and peeling. I clean and detail my bike weekly. My dealer has seen the problem but refuses to help. Guess I'll have to pull the parts and have them rechromed or better yet maybe powder coated. Got nailed for retail plus extra shipping charges for these parts, just my experience to pass along.
After reading the posts after my original, it would appear that no one gives a $hit!! Good luck with your factory original paint and chrome. I've already stated what happened to my new HD chrome parts that they would not stand behind or replace. Keep spending your bucks guys!!!!!

Old 06-28-2010, 02:49 PM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey Buddy! I do care! Sorry to give that impression.

Some of my newest chrome pieces are crap. I see it every day in the retail business. All this crap the US is importing does not hold up like the US stuff of a few years ago. What pisses me off is to go to the lumber rack and see Made in China on it. WTF! Some of the newest chrome parts on my bike looks worse than the old stuff.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:55 PM
schwangster
Seasoned HDF Member

After reading the posts after my original, it would appear that no one gives a $hit!! Good luck with your factory original paint and chrome. I've already stated what happened to my new HD chrome parts that they would not stand behind or replace. Keep spending your bucks guys!!!!!
Avctually I read it, and I do wonder....
If they are NOS I wonder where they have been stored all this time before you bought them? That is always an issue with parts that have been laying around for a long time. Unless the warehouse is climate controlled, and the packaging remains in tact, and they don't get nicks or dings, or etc, etc, there is no guarantee they will last in storage. Especially wrapped in plastic that holds the moisture in. I've had some bad non-HD parts that rusted right away, but you would hope the Harley ones, for the $$$ would hold up.
Sorry about your experience. I'm not looking forward to having to buy new chrome if my original parts go bad.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:05 PM
bparsel
Tourer

Whoa sensitive, lay off the hormone pills. And isnt the point of this thread that people HAVENT had to spend bucks on this stuff???

My paint and chrome have held up near perfect on my '95. Until this wknd when I suddenly found a crack in the paint on the rear of my left bag. Didnt have anything in it and I didnt hit anything....not sure how it happened. Also havent dug in to find out if its structural in the fiberglass or just the paint as the inside of my bags are carpeted over. It's a bummer though.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bparsel
Whoa sensitive, lay off the hormone pills. And isnt the point of this thread that people HAVENT had to spend bucks on this stuff???

My paint and chrome have held up near perfect on my '95. Until this wknd when I suddenly found a crack in the paint on the rear of my left bag. Didnt have anything in it and I didnt hit anything....not sure how it happened. Also havent dug in to find out if its structural in the fiberglass or just the paint as the inside of my bags are carpeted over. It's a bummer though.
No offense mean't and it's not the Hormone pills it's Xanax!! Point is this 93 FXLR was rebuilt fronm the ground up. S&S two piece rocker boxes, so no worry about quality or leaks. New HD SE chrome lifter blocks that are holding up well. I agree about the storage, but these two parts were wrapped in the protective brown paper and looked great when first opened up. After less than 1K the chrome started bilstering and peeling on these two parts that came from two different sources. For over $250.00 + the extra shipping I'd expect them to last longer than that, wouldn't you??

Problem was the HD dealer where I spent alot of money for NOS original parts did not care. So, I either pay to have them replated at a considerable expense, or powdercoated for much less. Wish I knew how to post a pic, so you guys know what I'm working with here.

Quick Reply: Harley Evo paint & chrome quality