EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Another starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 09:05 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Another starting problem

I've just replaced a battery that read 10 volts even after being charged. The bike started fine the first several starts with a new AGM battery, but today when I tried to start it after riding 15 miles or so, it clicked rapidly and strongly twice, and then started normally the third time. When I got home it wouldn't start after repeated tries, but again the solenoid clicked very strongly and rapidly for as long as I pushed the start button. After being charged for three hours it once again starts normally.
My multi-meter took a dump while checking the old battery, but what I'd like to know right now is if the symptom of very rapid, strong clicking tells anyone anything. In the past when I've had starting issues the clicks are intermittent and weak, as they were when the old battery started to go. If, indeed the old battery was bad.
The voltage regulator and starter relay are three years old. I've looked at the relay, cables and the regulator plug and don't see any issues. The stator has about a hundred thousand miles on it.
So I'd like to hear any ideas.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:32 PM
iceman0084
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked your starter itself? not to sure it would drain a battery, but from the clicking you're describing sounds like your starter could be crapping out. Just an FYI on starters also, I had a 1988 Dodge Shadow(yes a car) that had an interchangable starter with a 1990 road glide and about $60 cheaper lol.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:43 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

I would start at the beginning mp. Get yourself another cheap meter, and charge your battery to 12.8 volts. Then start the bike and check voltage with it running at the battery. Should be 13 to 15 volts at 1500 rpm or so. If voltage is no higher with it running, then you have a charging problem. At this stage it could either be the regulator, or the alternator. The manual has a really good trouble shooting guide for this. What I do at this stage is pull the regulator plug from the stator, and check AC volts at the stator plug. Should be around 18 AC volts at idle. If you have AC volts at the stator plug, it is most likely the regulator. There is another thread on here down aways that should also help you out. Hawk just went through this with his bike Bertha, and there is some really good trouble shooting in there also. Hope this helps.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:22 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member

Yeah, I'll have to get another meter. I was just wondering if the strong, rapid clicking was a clue to a specific problem.
My guess is the starter is OK. The starter clutch was replaced about five years ago. Now that was a distinctive sound when that went bad.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:32 PM
limj23
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mp
Yeah, I'll have to get another meter. I was just wondering if the strong, rapid clicking was a clue to a specific problem.
My guess is the starter is OK. The starter clutch was replaced about five years ago. Now that was a distinctive sound when that went bad.

Jim Kraft is 100% right, you dead in the water until you get a multi meter. Get a cheap 10 dollar one, there all over the place. You need to isolate where the problem is and his recommendations are spot on procedure. It can only be your stator, regulator or battery and those are very easy to test with a meter. It sounds like your not charging properly, the other thing could be your regulator is over charging but when that happens you usually end up cooking your battery and it no longer can be charged at all. Good luck and get back to us with more findings if your still stuck.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:25 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member

Well, of course it turned out to be the stator. So I missed a perfect day for riding today. This is the second Harley stator to go bad in about 152,000 miles. So I will be trying something else, because I'm assuming I'll live long enough to put that many miles on this bike again, and I don't want to have to screw with the stator again.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

Is it shorted mp? Be sure when you check it that you are in "AC" volts. Another on here ( we won't mention any names ) checked his in DC amps. Just don't want you to have to replace it and it still not work. Also, those pins can get corroded and not a very good connection. Its also a good idea to check from each pin to ground to see if it is shorted to ground. Last of all, check pin to pin, and it should read about 0.1 to maybe 0.2 ohms. The last check is to smell your primary oil. If it smell burnt, replace the stator.