Key doesnt lock ignition

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 08:49 AM
citytrucker26
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key doesnt lock ignition

Hello,
I just picked up my 91 electraglide sport this past weekend... I was searching the forums for anyone who has the problem of the key not locking the ignition. I was wondering if I have to replace the locking pin, or just reset the position of the switch in the ignition housing. It goes in all positions except fork lock. Works with the key turned to lock or unlock. I havent had the time to monkey with it.... I was planning on it this weekend. Any hints? It will be much appreciated. thanks. Gary

Forgot to mention... this is my first bagger.... so a couple things are new to me. thanks

Last edited by citytrucker26; 06-11-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,909 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Do you push down a little on the switch when you try to put it into the fork lock position?

Old 06-11-2010, 09:55 AM
citytrucker26
Road Master

havent tried that yet doc... I will this weekend.. thankyou! It doesnt lock in the off position either. key turns to lock, but can still turn the switch. I will try the push down thing

Old 06-11-2010, 10:05 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by citytrucker26
havent tried that yet doc... I will this weekend.. thankyou! It doesnt lock in the off position either. key turns to lock, but can still turn the switch. I will try the push down thing
Yeah - you have to push down on the entire switch to get it to turn left to the lock position. Locking the switch with the key doesn't actually lock the switch (or the ignition!) itself - unless you then push down on the whole switch and turn it left to the lock position. Once the switch itself is in the lock position you can turn your front end fully left and your forks will be locked, too. Not obvious, huh?

Nice to see other "toaster dash" guys on here! My bike, "Bertha", is a 95 FLHTP - the very last year for the old FLHS-style front end with the windshield! A lot of people don't think it was "true Harley" look - but I like the look of the big chrome headlight nacelle and the dash (mine says "Certified Police Special, which I think is cool!). It looks like a friggin' freight train to me, and I love trains!

Old 06-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,909 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Yeah, I think we just have some pilot error here. You turn the key to "Lock," take the key out, turn the wheel to the left, then push down on the switch and turn to the lock position.

When I unlock my bike, I turn the key to unlock, turn the **** off the fork lock position, then turn the key back to "lock," take the key out, turn the ignition on, ride. That way, when I get off, I can just flip it over to lock the forks without having to get my key out again.

Last edited by Dr.Hess; 06-11-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:46 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My ignition lock also didn't work and I had to turn the screw either in or out to make it lock.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:12 PM
citytrucker26
Road Master

Thankyou all for the replys. I am sure it is fine then. I really appreciate it. I havent had much time to work on it....

"Nice to see other "toaster dash" guys on here! My bike, "Bertha", is a 95 FLHTP - the very last year for the old FLHS-style front end with the windshield! A lot of people don't think it was "true Harley" look - but I like the look of the big chrome headlight nacelle and the dash (mine says "Certified Police Special, which I think is cool!). It looks like a friggin' freight train to me, and I love trains!"

I love the dash and nacelle as well. its what sold me on the bike. Thanks. I am going to post some pics here over the weekend.
I have a long night ahead of me. I have to go 236 miles to and like 255 back then back 32 to our terminal. I am a truck driver. So I will get around to looking at it sat night.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:49 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts
Old 06-12-2010, 07:33 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,813 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Sounds like it's covered.

One note and though you'd probably never want to... With the key part "locked" if you turn the **** to the the "acc" position it will lock in that position also. But of course anything on the accessory circuit will operate (brake lights, turnsignals, horn, etc) I.E. the **** can be locked in either the far right or far left positions.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:11 AM
citytrucker26
Road Master

Thankyou for the info T150vej. I appreciate the info.

Quick Reply: Key doesnt lock ignition