EVO All Evo Model Discussion

new 80" evo from dealer

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 08:57 AM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Yours is looking great! You don't see many CFLs with a springer.

Glad to hear your motor is on the way!

Old 06-16-2010, 10:48 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pococj
I've got a factory Evo in my '87 Sloptail. So far, no problems, and it runs as well as I expected. Dyna S ignition, S&S E carb, 2-into-1 Paughco header pipes with a straight fishtail. The motors are basically the 1999 version. I haven't had any base gasket problems with this new motor as they have the latest-greatest version of the gaskets. But I also start the motor, and then basically idle it down my 1/4 mile drive, and another 1/4 mile to the highway before ever getting on the throttle much. This allows the cylinders to grow into the studs and reach the correct sealing pressure. Get onto the rpm's too soon before the engine has heated sufficiently, and the cylinder-head-crankcase surfaces will not have good sealing pressure. Since the base gaskets are the weak link in this, that's where the leaks start.

Took some serious rethinking on my part to come to grips with the way the Evo achieves correct torque on the studs and nuts holding it all together!
Ayup, I've gotten in the habit of waiting til I can feel heat in the rocker box covers before I take off usually only takes a couple minutes. I start the bike with the enrichiner on, get any gear on, while slowly lessening the enrichiner, hop on, adjust the stereo, light up a smoke, and adjust the radio, and I'm ready to go. Of course when it's 25º-40º out, it takes a tad longer.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:43 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Got my S&S 96" yesterday!

Love it! just have to through the primary on and wire up the ignition, then throw the tins on and hopefully she'll be ready to start breaking in!

Attached Thumbnails new 80" evo from dealer-sns96.jpg   new 80" evo from dealer-sns96-2.jpg  
Old 06-17-2010, 08:02 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jimsflh
Love it! just have to through the primary on and wire up the ignition, then throw the tins on and hopefully she'll be ready to start breaking in!
Damn nice engine! I'm so jealous... When I wear out Bertha's engine, I'm getting one of those!

I have looked at the new S&S 111" touring engine they just came out with... but it's quite a bit more expensive, and how fast does a Fat-*** Bagger really need to be, anyway?

I just want to be able to beat my wife's '08 V-Star 1100... I made the mistake of putting a Kury Hypercharger Pro-R, rejetted carbs, and a Cobra 2-into-1 Pro Pipe on it - and now she can run off and leave Bertha and me in the dust. But at least she doesn't have an 800W 4-speaker stereo, self-cancelling turn signals, or a gas gauge...

Old 06-17-2010, 10:43 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by NorthGeorgiaHawg
Damn nice engine! I'm so jealous... When I wear out Bertha's engine, I'm getting one of those!

I have looked at the new S&S 111" touring engine they just came out with... but it's quite a bit more expensive, and how fast does a Fat-*** Bagger really need to be, anyway?

I just want to be able to beat my wife's '08 V-Star 1100... I made the mistake of putting a Kury Hypercharger Pro-R, rejetted carbs, and a Cobra 2-into-1 Pro Pipe on it - and now she can run off and leave Bertha and me in the dust. But at least she doesn't have an 800W 4-speaker stereo, self-cancelling turn signals, or a gas gauge...
I got a quote of $4870 for a V111 in black and chrome (cash price, not including shipping) from Joe at calcustom .com Delivery on my 96" was $275 to michigan. 96" tout 100HP and 103 trq out of the box, I think that'll be enuff for me!

Old 06-17-2010, 12:14 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jimsflh
I got a quote of $4870 for a V111 in black and chrome (cash price, not including shipping) from Joe at calcustom .com Delivery on my 96" was $275 to michigan. 96" tout 100HP and 103 trq out of the box, I think that'll be enuff for me!
It would be for me, too, I think! I'm not sure Bertha's 1995 frame would handle 120 HP and all the torque of the 111" very well anyway. I'd have to upgrade the clutch as well. The 96" would probably be plenty if/when the time comes.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:24 PM
limj23
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here it is!! Thanks for all the feedback guys and I cant wait to drop it in

Attached Thumbnails new 80" evo from dealer-motor-in-fit.jpg   new 80" evo from dealer-motor-in-box.jpg  

Last edited by limj23; 06-18-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:30 PM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks nice! Keep us updated.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:14 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

New motors are awesome! I look forward to wearing mine out over the years just so I can put a brand new one in her.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:32 PM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

>>Here it is!!<<

A motor and a 12ver of MGD - You're all set!

LOL, has anyone ever gotten a crate motor without taking a photo of the actual crate? (I photographed mine too.)

Have a ball with it!

Oh, and save that Styrofoam piece that's in the crate (the one the motor is sitting in.) If you have to pull the motor for any reason later on it makes a workable hillbilly engine stand.

Quick Reply: new 80" evo from dealer