EVO All Evo Model Discussion

new 80" evo from dealer

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 10:25 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by limj23
Anyone drop in a new 80" evo from HD? Im thinking of maybe going with that motor for my build but only have experience owing TC's and SS motors. How reliable are they and any known issues?

Thanks
I just ordered a 96" evo S&S comes with ignition, S&S Carb, and S&S beefier Cam.
Black and chrome lists for around 7K. But if you contact Joe Cree at http://www.calcustom.com/ he'll save you a couple grand on it. (Mine was less than $5k SHIPPED to me) It's a good motor with lots of spunk (90-100 HP out of the box)

Last edited by jimsflh; 06-14-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:27 AM
limj23
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NickD
I put a silver & chrome one in my custom build. The best deal on them, I believe, may still be where I purchased mine. From St. Paul Harley out of Minnesota (I'm in So Cal.)

One thing to consider if you aren't doing an engine swap, or have a donor bike, is you'll still need a manifold, carburetor, and ignition. They do come with a cam sensor installed behind the timing cover but not the separate ignition module stock Evos use. But I'd imagine, like I did, most folks install a one piece aftermarket programmable ignition in place of the cam sensor. These motors are pre-oiled and pre-run at the MOCO.

Here they are on E-bay (same place and way I bought mine.) Except they were a hundred dollars cheaper when I bought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It came in about ten days via Old Dominion Freight Lines. The MSO arrived a week later.

It fired right up (after sitting for a year in my garage while I built the rest of the bike) and sure, it doesn't have the grunt of a big incher, but for the way I putt around it has enough. Certainly more than the old Shovelhead I used to have. On the other hand it must be mentioned going with something like an Ultima motor (for maybe another thousand or so) gets you more power and all the bits the MOCO Evo doesn't come with so it's ready to bolt in and run. So your choice on that one. But I didn't want to go that route and so far I'm a very happy boy . . .

Im sold!! funny thats dealer is what started this thread because I saw the ebay ad and thought it was too good to be true. (our local HD dealer is looking for over 3K +tax so). Im going the flip side of your build, black frame with a raw steel body work good lookin scoot and props to workmanship.

Attached Thumbnails new 80" evo from dealer-tank-and-fender-dry-fit.jpg  
Old 06-15-2010, 04:19 PM
limj23
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jimsflh
I just ordered a 96" evo S&S comes with ignition, S&S Carb, and S&S beefier Cam.
Black and chrome lists for around 7K. But if you contact Joe Cree at http://www.calcustom.com/ he'll save you a couple grand on it. (Mine was less than $5k SHIPPED to me) It's a good motor with lots of spunk (90-100 HP out of the box)
Yes your right they run real nice, I have a s&s 111 in my current chop and it moves and runs great. what are you dropping it in?

Old 06-15-2010, 06:38 PM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I think a stock 80" Harley built engine is a great way to go but not so sure on the prices. Jireh has the following prices on complete Ultima engines and Non EPA Motors 80-127 are one low price!
Natural $3499
Black $3599
Polished $3899

http://www.jirehcycles.com/

Old 06-15-2010, 08:24 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

HTML Code:
(Mine was less than $5k SHIPPED to me)
Dang, thats a steal for a S&S motor delivered to your door.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:59 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

There just ain't nothin like the looks of a hard tail chopper. Droool Droool Droool. Could be I may have just a little green envy here. LOL

Old 06-16-2010, 06:11 AM
limj23
Cruiser

Damn those ***** are good in MN! I ordered it and its gonna be here in chicago on friday. It was 2990 out the door for a 80" satin finish.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:18 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by limj23
Yes your right they run real nice, I have a s&s 111 in my current chop and it moves and runs great. what are you dropping it in?
In my 87 FLHTC (sig pic) I had an 89" stroker, bought used from a guy that bought it on ebay, said it had a chewed cam, but likely was worse than that and had a crack in the case either repaired, or not all the way thru, he rebuilt the stock 80" and made it a stroker. It ran like a raped ape, but last month a hunk of the case between the jugs cracked all the way through. Could have ordered new cases from H-D, or S&S, but the cost of everything I'd need to do, then worrying about what else might go bad, I figured just get the 96". I think I've replaced about everything on the bike now, so I called my insurance comapny and told them it's totally restored, and added a rider bringing repacement value up to $21K (with accesories) for $123 more a year.
The V111 was like 300 bucks more, but the 96" is tried and true.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:03 AM
lownslow
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 45 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pococj
I've got a factory Evo in my '87 Sloptail. So far, no problems, and it runs as well as I expected. Dyna S ignition, S&S E carb, 2-into-1 Paughco header pipes with a straight fishtail. The motors are basically the 1999 version. I haven't had any base gasket problems with this new motor as they have the latest-greatest version of the gaskets. But I also start the motor, and then basically idle it down my 1/4 mile drive, and another 1/4 mile to the highway before ever getting on the throttle much. This allows the cylinders to grow into the studs and reach the correct sealing pressure. Get onto the rpm's too soon before the engine has heated sufficiently, and the cylinder-head-crankcase surfaces will not have good sealing pressure. Since the base gaskets are the weak link in this, that's where the leaks start.

Took some serious rethinking on my part to come to grips with the way the Evo achieves correct torque on the studs and nuts holding it all together!
Good info...........

Old 06-16-2010, 08:06 AM
lownslow
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 45 Posts

[QUOTE=NickD;6858948]I put a silver & chrome one in my custom build. The best deal on them, I believe, may still be where I purchased mine. From St. Paul Harley out of Minnesota (I'm in So Cal.)

As nice as a fine lookin woman..........almost

Quick Reply: new 80" evo from dealer