EVO All Evo Model Discussion

EVO won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 10:59 AM
petewood70
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVO won't start

I have an 1985 FXWG. I haven't rode it since last year.

I tried to start it this weekend but it will not start.

It turns over fine, but there is no sign of life.

The battery is new.

It has good compression about 125psi in both cylinders cold and dry.

It looks like fuel is getting into the carb when I twist the throttle. I can see gas inside the carb openning.

It's getting a spark, it’s not blue, it looks orange, and little weak to me but its steady.
The coil is new and so are the spark plug wires.

The spark plugs are black and look wet, but I think it’s from the gas.
It always ran rich.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Kudray
Advanced

May be good idea to try with old coil/wires set?
If it will start - problem is localized.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:34 PM
petewood70
Intermediate

Hi Kudray,

Thanks for the reply.

I put the new coil and wires on after the problem started.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Mr1986FLST
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If the bike has just been sitting then maybe it is just a bad electrical connection...A weak spark seems to indicate a bad electrical connection somewhere too. Since you have already replaced your plug wires and coil, I would check the connector from the ignition module going to the sensor and clean it. I would also check the battery and ground terminal connections. Another possiblity is a bad ignition module. Also, make sure your plugs are gapped right (spec is .038-.043")....probably worth getting a spare set of spark plugs too.

If the timing is off you'd have starting problems too. It is doubtful the timing just changed but if the VOES is not working you could have that symptom since it changes the timing. Make sure the vacuum hose is sealed good and not leaking. It goes from the carb to the VOES switch mounted underneath the center of the fuel tank ....I am not sure if VOES was used in '85 but I have it on my '86.

Do you still have the original butterfly Keihin carb and manifold compliance fittings? If you determine your spark is ok, then you might have an intake leak....those old fittings had lots of problems...I had my compliance fittings replaced with a SE manifold about 15 years ago to get rid of most of my intake leak probs but still have been plauged with minor probs. I have a new CV carb but just waiting for some parts so then I could hopefully put my hard-starts behind me.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:24 PM
petewood70
Intermediate

Thanks Mr1986FLST,

It has an S&S carb and manifold.
It has a VOES, but I'm not sure if its working. I'll have to put a vacuum pump on it.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:35 PM
El Dee
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The evel one

I'm betting the idle jet is plugged. I'd check inside the fuel bowl for contamination and clean those jets good. My last Shovel had a Super G and my idle jet got plugged over the winter. It too wouldn't start but after cleaning the carb it fired right up. Spark is likely to change intensity when running. Fresh gas would also be a good idea.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:00 AM
lownslow
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by El Dee
I'm betting the idle jet is plugged. I'd check inside the fuel bowl for contamination and clean those jets good. My last Shovel had a Super G and my idle jet got plugged over the winter. It too wouldn't start but after cleaning the carb it fired right up. Spark is likely to change intensity when running. Fresh gas would also be a good idea.
+1, I've gas go bad in as little as 6 months..........

Old 06-08-2010, 12:14 AM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Try pecking on the float bowl housing. Happened to me last week. I had drained the tank for removal and started it up before I realized I hadn't put gas back in the tank after I put it back on. Put gas in it and restarted and it only ran for a few seconds and went graveyard dead. Pulled a plug and had fire, twisted the throttle and it sprayed gas, shot some starting fluid in the carb and it would fire but not run. Pecked the float bowl with a screwdriver handle and have lived happily ever after. I suspect the needle in the float had stuck closed but maybe something else was clogged and I broke it loose with the flogging of the screwdriver handle.

Last edited by Lakerat; 06-08-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:26 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,825 Likes on 1,184 Posts

All good advice so far.

Remember, an orange spark (in open air) is likely "no spark" when under compression (at the plug) Also true, that without the carb full of fuel and flowing in the circuits of the carb, they won't fire. A car will because it's downdraft thru the manifold and if you pour enough into a bike, it's usually flooded by the time there's enough in it to do any good.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:14 AM
petewood70
Intermediate

Thanks guys,

I'll take a closer look at the carb.

Quick Reply: EVO won't start