EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Speedo cable

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010 | 10:14 AM
fogcity123
|
Cruiser
Default Speedo cable

1993 FXR. Just changed my bars, now my speedo doesn't work - I possibly twisted/broke the cable. How to I R/R this cable?
Thanks.

Old 06-05-2010 | 10:33 AM
outlaw0013
Road Captain

Disconnect the cable from the back of your speedo and see if you can pull out the inner core. It should be locked in so if you can remove it ,it's broken. Not hard to replace at all. You might not have it seated properly into the speedo also.

Old 06-05-2010 | 10:59 AM
grbrown
Club Member

The inner will probably pull out from the speedo end. Disconnect the bottom end as well, so you can check when twisting the top end that the bottom end turns freely. If all is OK lightly grease the lower half only of the inner to lubricate it (so the grease cannot get into the speedo head). These things can dry out, even rust up and seize in the outer and sometimes break. I protect the bottom end of mine with a tv aerial sleeve to keep the damp out. It's a snug fit but will slide on with a little Vaseline or similar.

Attached Thumbnails Speedo cable-speedo-drive-e.jpg  
Old 06-05-2010 | 11:48 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
The inner will probably pull out from the speedo end. Disconnect the bottom end as well, so you can check when twisting the top end that the bottom end turns freely. If all is OK lightly grease the lower half only of the inner to lubricate it (so the grease cannot get into the speedo head). These things can dry out, even rust up and seize in the outer and sometimes break. I protect the bottom end of mine with a tv aerial sleeve to keep the damp out. It's a snug fit but will slide on with a little Vaseline or similar.
Bertha's speedo cable broke when the left front wheel bearing went out and somehow twisted the speedo cable housing around. I was able to buy a replacement cable easily from the dealer and replace it. I think I paid about $25, but it was several years ago. I don't think you can repair one in which the inner spinning cable is broken.

Just lube it up all the way through with cable lube, and screw the upper end into the speedo housing, and the lower end into the speedo gear housing on the front wheel. It was pretty easy except for getting the upper end into the back of the speedo inside the "toaster dash" she has. On your bike the speedo is surely much more accessible than mine.

The rubber boot is a great idea for keeping the lower end free of road grit and water. I just reused the boot that was already on the old cable.

Old 06-05-2010 | 12:09 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member

auto parts stores have speedo cables a lot cheeper than any dealer. all you should need is the inner cable if that's what is broken.

Old 06-05-2010 | 12:36 PM
grbrown
Club Member

If the inner is broken due to corrosion the outer really needs replacing as well.

I don't recall having a rubber boot on my cable when the bike was new. I did fit a Velocette magneto cable boot which survived several years, after the first inner broke!