EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Voltage Regulators again.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 08:06 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Voltage Regulators again.

Back when I had my 84 Sportster with a generator, I think I replaced 3 regulators in 50,000 miles. I just checked out the regulator on my 99 Softail Custom, and it appears to be not working. I have AC voltage at the alternator plug when running, but no DC change at the battery with the regulator plugged in. So, are EVO voltage regulators as prone to going bad as the older ones were? I have 23,000 on this one.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:55 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts
Wink

No! I have only replaced mine once in just over 50k miles, so obviously much more reliable....

Old 06-01-2010, 05:13 AM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,044 Likes on 1,182 Posts

On my wife's 85 FXEF we replaced the regulator every 12 to 18 mo. for the first 4yrs we owned it (6 in total), I then replaced the entire charging system (stator, rotor, voltage Reg) with a kit from Compufire.
BTW also replaced 4 stators in same time period. (did get real good at removing primary)

I also made a direct connection with the battery ground to the voltage reg. ground without depending on the frame as a ground. Ran a wire. I did this because I shock mounted the reg. because it was suggested that direct mount to the frame was causing cracks in the filler they use to seal the reg. and water was getting in and shorting it out.

No problems in over 2yrs. (About 14,000mi/yr on this bike)

Old 06-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

I removed the regulator, and it does have some cracks in the filler on the back side. So, I am guessing that it may have gotten some moisture in there, and something opened up. I don't have any volt leakage from either pin to ground, and I cleaned and tightened the pins, but still not charging. Good output from the alternator. I am going to pick up a regulator today, and change it out. I will let you guys know how it goes, as I always like to know when people have trouble, what they find. Thanks for the replys.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

Replaced the regulator, and all is fine again. Hopefully this one will last a long time.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:02 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Voltage regulator brand??

Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
Replaced the regulator, and all is fine again. Hopefully this one will last a long time.
Do you recall the brand of the one that failed and brand of the new one? I replaced the regulator on my '91 FLHS three seasons ago and it just went out; "American Made" brand. Just ordered a "Cycle Electric" hoping I have better luck with it. From what I'm reading here 3 yrs. is pretty good for a voltage regulator ( about 10K miles or so)? Also on the "shock mounted" regulator how exactly did you do that?? Rubber grommets???

Old 08-16-2010, 04:21 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to replace Bertha's about a month or so ago at 45.000 miles, when the original one failed and drained my battery on a ride 40 miles from home. She looked pretty sad up there on that tow truck... but a new Genuine H-D regulator - "Hunned Dollahs" from the dealer - fixed the problem.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Correction; It was a "Cycle Electric" regulator that didn't make it 3 seasons. I have an "American Made" on order from J&P Cycle Parts. Am starting to see the wisdom of OEM electrical parts.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:09 AM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently replaced a 1 year old "Cycle Electric" regulator with a cheap "Drag Specialties" regulator . One of the leads on the "Cycle Electric" apparently vibrated against the bolt for the stabilizer or mount and worn into the wire insulation causing the regulator to fail. I was about 25 miles from home when I saw the voltage was not normal, we turned around and made it home OK. I was a little concerned at the time because we needed gas as well and was afraid the battery would be too low to start the bike after filling up. The cheaper Drag Specialties regulator seems to be working OK but I don't know how long it will hold up.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:43 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

Mine was the original HD regulator which was 11 years old with 25,000 miles on it, so that was not to bad. I replaced it with a new HD regulator. Right at a $100.00. I do like to stick with HD on many parts, as they just seem to work best for me.

Quick Reply: Voltage Regulators again.