Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010 | 05:47 AM
EVOrider
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default Electrical Issue

1998 FLHTCUI

The speedometer light does not work, no brake lights, no turn signals or panel indicators, and no cruise control.

I recently installed a battery, I assume the above mentioned was working earlier. So far, I have only checked the fuses and are all good. I have looked at the biker bandit wiring harness.....not very good for troubleshooting.

We are currently not at home and are actually on a trip....so if someone could possibly give me an idea on what else to look for, that would be great. If someone has a wiring diagram for this model year....see what they are all tied to.

I am guessing all the non-functioning items are tied to the same thing somehow. Either something got screwed up with the battery installation or a relay, circuit, whatever gaveup.

Thanks

Old 05-21-2010 | 07:27 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

As you stated, you do not have power to these items. Get a cheapy test light and work backwards until you find power. You stated something about a Biker Bandit wiring harness, sometimes they have more than one wire going to the positive side of the battery. Take a look around for a wire that might not have made it back on the terminal. Hope this help, keep us posted.

Old 05-21-2010 | 05:54 PM
EVOrider
|
Stellar HDF Member

Update:

Apparently it was blowing a fuse. What was blowing the fuse was the cruise control. When cruise control is engaged, I use the accelerate switch......then it automatically blows the fuse.

I'll just ride the bike without cruise until I arrive home......there I will properly troubleshoot it. Any ideas in the meantime? Thanks

Old 05-27-2010 | 06:26 AM
EVOrider
|
Stellar HDF Member

I troubleshooted the cruise control accordingly to the factory shop manual. After going by the book, it stated to replace the rear stoplight switch. I checked the switch and it was ok.

After having many connectors unconnected in various places.....it works again for some reason. I didn't even do anything!

One thing I learned about the cruise control....everything in the system has to work right. The brakes, throttle, clutch, and speed are all tied to the system. Rather complicated if you ask me.

Old 05-27-2010 | 07:59 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by EVOrider
I troubleshooted the cruise control accordingly to the factory shop manual. After going by the book, it stated to replace the rear stoplight switch. I checked the switch and it was ok.

After having many connectors unconnected in various places.....it works again for some reason. I didn't even do anything!

One thing I learned about the cruise control....everything in the system has to work right. The brakes, throttle, clutch, and speed are all tied to the system. Rather complicated if you ask me.
Harley Gremlins! Get a bell if you don't have one! If you do, get another one!

I had a similar problem trying to get my gas gauge in the dash to work again. I had traced everything two or three times with no luck, so I gave up. Then one day I was shootin' at some food.... No wait... I was doing something else in the dash, and I disconnected a bunch of wires and reconnected them, and the gauge started magically working again! So I left things alone after that...

Old 05-27-2010 | 08:12 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by EVOrider
I didn't even do anything!
Yes you did, believe me. You probably disturbed enough connectors that you have cleaned them up and made good contacts again. Perhaps just one of them was dirty or corroded enough to be messing you about.

There is an excellent thread by jgcable where he traced through electrical problems on his bike. Worth a read for future reference!

Old 05-27-2010 | 12:18 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

I recently had a few electrical problems like motor shutting down randomly and stereo off and on , I replaced all the 12 volt circuit breakers and evryhting works without a glitch now.