EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Bent Exhaust Valve

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 09:50 AM
vtarandy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent Exhaust Valve

I put a new EV-27, right bearing, crane time savers, and ultra lifters in my 93 evo. Took me awhile to get the lifters, so in my haste to get it running did'nt let the rear lifters bleed down. Started up, but ran horrible. Put my hand over exhaust pipe and was getting a vacuum pulse! Put a compression gauge on it, zero. Went through the pushrod adjustment procedure and after 2 1/2 or 3 turns the seemed like the spring pressure went soft. Could it be a lifter (trying to be an optomist)? How do I confirm bent valve before I tear the top off?

Old 05-12-2010, 10:02 AM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Pull the push rods and blow air in the plug hole and listen to see where it's going. If it's going out the exhaust, you'll know something is wrong with that valve..........

Old 05-12-2010, 12:23 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

When you put new lifters in they should be dry What I do is leave the pushrods out pull the spark plugs then turn the engine over to allow oil to fill the new lifters Now put the adj pushrods back in and adjust per instructions You might have adjusted the pushrod (with a dry lifter assembly ) cam at bottom tighten pushrod till valve starts to open then turned 21/2 more opening the valve even further thinking you were adj a pumped up lifter

Old 05-13-2010, 08:40 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sqdealgeorge
When you put new lifters in they should be dry What I do is leave the pushrods out pull the spark plugs then turn the engine over to allow oil to fill the new lifters Now put the adj pushrods back in and adjust per instructions You might have adjusted the pushrod (with a dry lifter assembly ) cam at bottom tighten pushrod till valve starts to open then turned 21/2 more opening the valve even further thinking you were adj a pumped up lifter
Exactly what George says, I do it that way all the time. Pay attention to the cam card though. After adjusting the VT lifters in my engine at 2.5 with my V-Thunder cam the exhausts were hanging open. After re-reading the cam card and calling VT Tech, they specify 1.3 turns. I backed off the adjustment and have had no problems since. I'll be swapping cams shortly and replacing the VT lifters with S&S that call for 2.5 turns, so that ought to be interesting. No problems with the VT lifters and tech told me that they did not have to be replaced. My thoughts, new cam, new lifters and a new Torrington bearing. Then I'll have to change my signature again!

Last edited by Buddy WMC; 05-13-2010 at 08:43 AM.