loose shift lever

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010 | 06:30 PM
schoolmaster
|
5th Gear
Default loose shift lever

I've got a loose shift lever . It's a fairly new lever and has all ready seen
JB Weld and been tightened once . But, it's loose again . I seem to remember some shifter shaft spline wear back when the lever was replaced. Anyone have any thoughts on snugging it back down without having to disassemble . Very tight quarters.

Old 04-27-2010 | 07:17 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior

Spray the allen bolt with say WD 40 Take an allen wrench loosen the allen Now re torque the allen bolt If it doesn't tighten up time for a new shift arm out of the trany

Old 04-28-2010 | 07:11 PM
89 FXRS
Cruiser

You JB welded it????????????? whatever.

Mine has been like that since new. I even replaced the lever one time and it went back to being loose. I have tightened it and it is ok for a short time then loose again. Now I just let it go.

Old 04-28-2010 | 07:59 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Community Team

I ran mine like this for about 90,000 miles and liked it so well, I didn't even change it when I rebuilt my transmission. The bolt broke off, vibrated out and left 1/4" of the threads in the bottom of the lever. Here's what I did:

Remove the allen head bolt and get one longer. The threads aren't any longer on the next length of bolt and it has a blank shoulder so using a die, cut as much extra thread onto the new bolt as possible. Then get a grade 8 nut and thread it onto the new bolt as far as it can go without getting in a bind. Install the new bolt into the lever until it reaches all the way into the threads of the lever or until the nut touches. Then use a deep socket to tighten the jam nut to 25-30 ft/lb. That will put a LOT more pinch on the lever than the allen head will alone. I won't guarantee it'll fix all of them because of shaft spline or lever spline wear, but that will hold it if anything will...

Old 04-28-2010 | 09:18 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

You don't mention what bike this is. If the bushing on the shfter is worn, that can cause the shifter to loosen up and/or wear. My bike had a little web piece of crap for a shifter bushing in the inner primary. My shifter was coming loose at most inopportune times, necessitating a stop and some nylon ties to get me home. I replaced the POS bushing with one that goes the whole length of the inner primary sleeve that I made from Delrin. It tightened the whole shifter up a lot and I don't have the loose shifter anymore.

Old 04-29-2010 | 04:31 PM
OldPat
Advanced

I hope the long bolt & nut trick works for you. If both pieces are worn and you replace just one part of it, it will begin wearing from the very first time you shift.

I tried that long bolt & nut deal on mine and it didn't improve matters one bit. I just sucked it up and replaced the shifter shaft and lever. No worries. A little poorer, but no worries.

Old 08-17-2010 | 10:56 AM
Okiephillip
Advanced

Good morning All,

I've got an 05 RG with only 24k, I've with a loose rear shift lever too. Discovered the rear shifter loose again so I put more blue lock tight and cranked it down and striped the darn Allen head socket. Figured it should stay tight for a while but its only been two weeks and when I replaced the shift linage's ball joints with HEIM joints and found it freaking loose again. Any idea how many hours they'll charge to replace that rear lever?

Old 08-18-2010 | 11:54 AM
BungoBill
Road Captain

Originally Posted by schoolmaster
JB Weld and been tightened once . But, it's loose again . I seem to remember some shifter shaft spline wear back when the lever was replaced. Anyone have any thoughts on snugging it back down without having to disassemble . Very tight quarters.
I had same problem. I tightened Allen Screw on Lever where it goes onto Tranny Shaft a couple of times,without success. I eventually cut a piece of rubber tube about 1.1/4"to 1.1/2" long and a dia. to suit the job.
I then spliced the tube legthways and fitted it over the top of the Lever & shifter end piece .It is only a temporary (long term temporary!) measure but it stops the top of the arm from rubbing against the back of the Primary Casing and gives it a bit of leverage to keep it from rattling. Difficult to explain what Ive done but will take pic. and get back to you. Bungo.

Old 08-18-2010 | 12:07 PM
BungoBill
Road Captain

Originally Posted by schoolmaster
Hi,Sketch of the Tranny Lever and rubber pipe mod. attached. Hope you can figure it out as Im no Draftsman! Bungo

Attached Thumbnails loose shift lever-h.d-lever.jpg  
Old 08-18-2010 | 01:22 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Obviously this is going to bother you and until you replace the worn part it will never snug up tight the way its did when it was gently used.

Quick Reply: loose shift lever