EVO All Evo Model Discussion

98 superglide tire opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 08:52 PM
terrapin88
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 98 superglide tire opinions please

I've always used Dunlops on my harleys. It's tire time for both ends of my 98 fxd and I am thinking about other options. I have no complaints about the Dunlop 401's I have now, but like I said I am wondering if I am missing out on something better. Figured I'd at least take a look around.

Most of the threads I've searched on tires seem to mostly be about the newer bikes or tourers which won't fit my bike. I can't take anymore. My eyes are bleeding from staring at this screen for 3 days and I still don't know if I should bother with another tire or just stick to the dunlops.

A lot of guys seem to make their tire decisions on how many miles you can get out of a back tire. I don't want to replace tires every 5K miles, but I am more interested in quality, grip especially in corners and how they perform in the rain. If they had narrow white walls I wouldn't hate that either.
I live in MA on the coast so crappy roads, sand in most of the corners and riding in wet weather is the norm.

I've been looking at Mich Commanders, Metz 880 marathons, Avon Venoms and Dunlops. On the lops I would go 401's unless there is something better out there being dunlops or something else.

SO far from my research I've done I am looking at each tire like this-->

Lops--harder last longer, decent in the wet and ok when scraping pegs. Good all around harley tire.

Metz--I've read lots about them not lasting as many miles as the lops, but they are stickier, which would make sense. Decent in the wet. But then I've read more than once the have weaker sidewalls and squirm in a hard corner. Used to be German made, now Brazilian made. Is that an issue? I love their women, how bad could their tires be?

Michelins--I haven't hear much about them, but what I did read was positive. I can't say that I love that they are a french company though. The just **** me off. I almost stopped eating their fries but it's the only vegetable I like.

Avons--When I first started reading about avons they started sounding like they were better than sliced bread. Then I started reading more and more about them sucking in the wet. I have all about crossed them off the list.

If you have experience with dunlops and any of the other tires, please feel free to chime in. I'd appreciate it. Get the lops or one of the others instead and why.

Thanks much
C-

Last edited by terrapin88; 04-22-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:57 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

I have good luck with the Dunlops myself. On my Low Rider, I put a D401 on the front and a D402PT on the rear. I seem to get more mileage from the D402 and I like the Police version. It has a much more stiffer sidewall and somewhat acts like a run-flat.

I consider the Dunlop to be a good all around tire. They make a D404 that looks much like the D401/402......however do not buy it. Use only in an emergency situation.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:13 AM
terrapin88
Tourer

Thanks for the info EVOrider. I have been reading about the dunlop 491 elite II and E3's too, and have seen the E3's compared as good or better than the metz 880 marathons in traction and wet weather. So, I'm adding the 491's and E3's to the maybe list. Anyone have any experience with the 491's or E3's on a dyna?

Last edited by terrapin88; 04-23-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:59 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts

I have owned Harleys since the 70s, when they came on Goodyears. I always end up fitting Avons and have Venoms on my 1990 Glide at present. They are more compliant (ride smoother) so give a more comfortable ride, give better grip and are the tops in the wet. I've tried Pirellis and Metzelers over the years (not their current versions) and changed both of them within months of fitting because they were so bad.

Avon is based in the UK, so they know all about rain and wet roads. I recommend them to anyone who listens!

Old 04-23-2010, 07:32 AM
bacon225
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just swapped out 402's for the Elite 3's they are a much smother ride and DO NOT follow groves at all I much better tire for me. Now the bad in the wet they are not much better not bad just no real improvement fro me. I have a BMW gs that I run Michelin Anakee on and I cal pull the front wheel on wet pavement. That's what I wish I could fine for the Harleys.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:34 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

Just curious EVOrider; What is wrong with the D404's? I have one that was given to me on the back of my 99 Softail Custom. Seems OK, but is wearing a little faster than I like. Although not to bad, as I have around 6,000 miles on it, with quite a bit of tread left.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:58 PM
terrapin88
Tourer

Thanks for the replies guys. I know we need another tire thread like we need another oil thread.

The hard part about reading all the posts all over the net about tires (or anything else) is that everyone has their own opinion be it based on their personal experience or not. Sifting the fact from the fiction is tedious work.
I'd rather be out riding.

grbrown, I have seen many of your tire posts and I know you are an avid supporter of the Avons. Your posts and more reading got me thinking more about them. I am between the avon venoms and the e3's now. I am ordering tonight. I just took my last ride until I get some new tires on for safety's sake.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:15 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
Just curious EVOrider; What is wrong with the D404's? I have one that was given to me on the back of my 99 Softail Custom. Seems OK, but is wearing a little faster than I like. Although not to bad, as I have around 6,000 miles on it, with quite a bit of tread left.
The load rating is much less and tread depth is much less than the D401/402. While D404 is not a bad tire at all.....it certainly is not the same as the other Dunlops.

They will not last as long as the other Dunlops and should never be installed on Touring bikes. Probably be ok on the Sportsters, Dynas, and Softails.....but check load ratings before installation.

Spend a little more for a better quality tire.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:17 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Dunlop 491s last the longest of any tire and handle just as well as 401, 402. I got over 20K on the rear with a 491.
Dunlop 404 is a different story. I got over 5000 miles less on the rear than any other brand, and the one on the front skids awfully easy when braking. They are meant for lighter bikes than Harleys.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:26 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by terrapin88
grbrown, I have seen many of your tire posts and I know you are an avid supporter of the Avons. Your posts and more reading got me thinking more about them. I am between the avon venoms and the e3's now. I am ordering tonight. I just took my last ride until I get some new tires on for safety's sake.

I keep preachin' the Venom gospel!

When I bought this bike in 1990 the stock Dunlops were truly bad in the wet. I tried Metzeler and Pirelli and they were respectively even worst and only slightly better. I also had a handling problem, which I reckon was caused by the ovel windshield (similar to a RK). Avon Venoms cured everything and I continue to use them. British tyres (owned by a US company) for riding my US bike on British roads!

My wife and I leave for Poland in two weeks on our Venoms, a round trip of 2,500 miles. It's the only way to travel.

Quick Reply: 98 superglide tire opinions please