EVO All Evo Model Discussion

98 superglide tire opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 05:42 PM
softail99custom
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

look into the Dunlop k591 .... i like them alot better than the 402's i was running last year

Old 04-23-2010, 07:35 PM
98 FLHX
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Avon Venom-X

My thought on this topic is quite simple.
I really don't care about mileage. I care about performance and quality. Traction,.... wet or dry.
You only have 2 tires and about 26" between your a$$ and the pavement.
With that being said, the tires better be the best you can get..
That's why I have Venom's.
To each their own.

Last edited by 98 FLHX; 04-23-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:35 PM
terrapin88
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I keep preachin' the Venom gospel!

When I bought this bike in 1990 the stock Dunlops were truly bad in the wet. I tried Metzeler and Pirelli and they were respectively even worst and only slightly better. I also had a handling problem, which I reckon was caused by the ovel windshield (similar to a RK). Avon Venoms cured everything and I continue to use them. British tyres (owned by a US company) for riding my US bike on British roads!

My wife and I leave for Poland in two weeks on our Venoms, a round trip of 2,500 miles. It's the only way to travel.
A road trip to Poland? Wow that's cool. Have fun and stay safe.

93fxr, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Thanks for all the posts all. Think I am going to try the Avons. I've had a couple of British GF's. Hopefully these tires will be just as fun to ride.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:40 PM
juiced03
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I ride a 93 FXLR and just put Avon Venoms on front and back. Much nicer ride than the Dunlop on the rear. Haven't ridden in the rain yet so can't comment on that but 93FXR usually knows what he's talking about. There's also a $25 rebate per tire and you can download the form at Avonmoto.com

Old 04-24-2010, 06:00 PM
terrapin88
Tourer

Yeah that avon rebate was the deal maker for me. That and they have my size in white walls. Oh yeah, I'll be pimpin. lol

Old 04-25-2010, 04:34 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,865 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by terrapin88
A road trip to Poland? Wow that's cool. Have fun and stay safe.

93fxr, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Thanks for all the posts all. Think I am going to try the Avons. I've had a couple of British GF's. Hopefully these tires will be just as fun to ride.
My sister married a US air force guy!

We take a ferry to France, through Belgium and Germany into the Czech Republic then onto Krakow and a planned visit to Auschwitz, back through Slovakia, and the reverse of the way in. Got to get our Euros, Kuronas and Zlotis this week!

Old 04-25-2010, 08:51 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by juiced03
I ride a 93 FXLR and just put Avon Venoms on front and back. Much nicer ride than the Dunlop on the rear. Haven't ridden in the rain yet so can't comment on that but 93FXR usually knows what he's talking about. There's also a $25 rebate per tire and you can download the form at Avonmoto.com
I agree with this post as mine is a 93 FXLR as well and Grahams posts. I'm also running Venoms both front and rear and even was able to fit a 140HB on the rear. They are also very good in the rain IMO. Others have also chimed in and like the Venoms.

FWIW, I used to run Metzeler 880's (Brazilian made), until I actually saw a 130 rear on a softy that had the tread separate and it came off in chunks. I promply ordered a set of Venoms and removed the Metzelers after seeing that. We have seen 10K on a Venom rear in our area. I have about 1.5K on the new set and they are showing very little wear at this point. I'll pay a bit extra if they do not wear as long. As stated before your tires keep your A$$ off the pavement.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:14 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
I agree with this post as mine is a 93 FXLR as well and Grahams posts. I'm also running Venoms both front and rear and even was able to fit a 140HB on the rear. They are also very good in the rain IMO. Others have also chimed in and like the Venoms.

FWIW, I used to run Metzeler 880's (Brazilian made), until I actually saw a 130 rear on a softy that had the tread separate and it came off in chunks. I promply ordered a set of Venoms and removed the Metzelers after seeing that. We have seen 10K on a Venom rear in our area. I have about 1.5K on the new set and they are showing very little wear at this point. I'll pay a bit extra if they do not wear as long. As stated before your tires keep your A$$ off the pavement.
Using a later spec narrow belt I now have a 150/80 Venom on the rear of my 1990 FLHS! Please check Avon's website for tyre pressures, as they are usually a little higher than in your owners manual. On the right of their screen you can put in your details (works best if you just chose H-D and model year). For a 140 or 150 use the same pressures as for an MT/130 Venom

Last edited by grbrown; 04-25-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:04 PM
terrapin88
Tourer

Buddy WMC, I've seen quite a few posts like yours about the 880's and that was enough to cross the metz off my list. Not saying they are bad tires and I've never run them myself, but I'm not going to bother with them. I'm sticking to the venoms. I'm more concerned with quality and grip than I am about mileage. My *** deserves the best.

grbrown, I have always wanted to take a trip like that. I want to tour all the WW2 battlefields my grandfather's generation fought on. I did spend 10 days in Amsterdam 13 years ago and I loved it. Coming back to Europe and doing some travelling is high on my bucket list. I'm only 38 so I think I have time.

On a side note, can anyone recommend some inexpensive quality tire irons? I was going to take my wheels to a shop for mounting and balance, but I would rather learn to do it myself. I hate to pay someone to do something I can do myself.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:38 PM
grbrown
Club Member

You have time on your side, but don't put it off for too long. We live close by some of the US wartime aifields, including the one Glen Miller flew from, on his last flight.

Quick Reply: 98 superglide tire opinions please