EVO All Evo Model Discussion

trying to fix base gaskets for good

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010 | 08:56 PM
the_ogre25
|
Cruiser
Default trying to fix base gaskets for good

I have replaced my base gaskets 2 times now and they still leak. I am going to be buying a cylinder lapping plate to try that on my next set. Should I replace the cylinder studs and nuts or do these not normally wear out? I am using a James metal base gasket set, and the Hayden oil fix. This seemed to work better then the cometic gaskets but I still have a leak at one corner on each cylinder.
I was also thinking about a new set of pistons, has anyone had any reliability issues with 10 to 1 pistons or would stokers be better for a reliable daily rider? My cylinders still have a good looking hatch on them, would I be okay just breaking the glaze with a dingle ball hone?
The motor has a ev27 cam if that matters any. Also any other recommendations on any other work that I should do while I have apart would be welcome.

Old 04-02-2010 | 09:08 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master

Three Bond is the hot ticket for your cylinder bases. Go here and look at cylinder assy.

http://www.nrhsperformance.com/tech.shtml

Old 04-02-2010 | 11:24 PM
Moog Player
Road Captain

Letting the motor warm up before riding off (Every time) will prevent leaking base gaskets. Until all that aluminum clamped together gets hot and expands, oil can get into the area of the gasket. Once it gets across the gasket surface, it will leak always.
Cometic gaskets and Gas-K-Cinch or Aviation Permatex works on the things pretty well.

Old 04-02-2010 | 11:31 PM
the_ogre25
|
Cruiser

I always have let the bike warm up until the rockers are warm to the touch.

Old 04-03-2010 | 07:56 AM
Doug S
Road Master

L/W Bob

Thanks for that link. Very informative and they explain it so anyone can understand. Spent an hour reading and not done yet..

d

Old 04-03-2010 | 09:58 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior

The delima with the evo leaking cylinders was corrected by using an o'ring set up (twin cams ) The cylinder studs should be the latest HD upgrade I've done many a cylinder gasket upgrade for the EVO's and believe it or not I started using Mega Grey imported gasket maker as the final fix (gray in color ) Black hi temp silicones are also available I take a toothbrush ( not my personal one ) spray the area around the cyl bases with Brake Clean scrub the dirt/oil away let it dry (do it 3 times ) then apply the gasket maker with your finger around the cylinders Now go get drunk or whatever for 24 hours and like everyone says let that motor warm up for 3+ minutes before you blast off

Old 04-03-2010 | 11:00 AM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior

the 10 to 1 pistons are just a bit much for the ev27 imo, also cometic gaskets with coppercote have sealed every motor I've put together with zero leaks, if your bike still leaks with the hayden oil fix, your doing something wrong. chad .

Old 04-03-2010 | 12:26 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Default Your welcome

Originally Posted by Doug S
L/W Bob

Thanks for that link. Very informative and they explain it so anyone can understand. Spent an hour reading and not done yet..

d
FYI - found out about it from a top fuel bike engine builder - Three Bond. Also makes
it for some bike manufactures under their name like Kawasaki. Only stuff that I
like better than Permatex Aviation when its gotta seal and goes through expansion
and contraction over and over. IMHO.

Old 04-03-2010 | 01:04 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

Or you could just install The Oil Fix from Hayden M6.

Old 04-03-2010 | 04:12 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member

I think the main key here is to let the engine warmup slowly. I always at least let the engine idle long enough until the valve covers are warm/hot. In cold weather, I've let it idle for 10 minutes or so. While its idling, that is when I like to do a walk-around on the bike and still have enough time to get my helmet, gloves...etc. on.

Be patient..........

Quick Reply: trying to fix base gaskets for good