EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Upgrade swingarm

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010 | 09:50 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by FlyingFur
I'm in the process of replacing and upgrading my cleve blocks but cannot afford to upgrade the swing arm at this time with the wheel upgrades being the biggest stumbling block so I'm curious about the range of acceptable tolerances between the transmission and the new swing arm axle.

I've searched posts here and other forums where I've learned a great deal from my fellow amateur wrenches but (unless I just missed the info) I haven't found any information on this--my dog-eared shop manual has no information on the topic.

I have a 1991 FLHS so any feedback would be helpful. Many thanks to all who have posted here over the years, this forum has been a great learning tool!
1990 FLHS here! When I decided to make improvements to my bike, which I have owned from new, I went with a True-Track Trackula kit. That comes with solid bushes to replace the cleve blocks, plus new rubber mounts all round, as well as an additional handling stabiliser. Ain't cheap, but does wonders for your bike. I then fitted a later swingarm, which needed different swingarm bushes, although I was able to machine the 'old' ones to fit my 'new' swingarm.

Which is a long-winded way of saying that if you plan a swingarm upgrade, hold on until you can do everything in one hit. Unless you can machine new parts, you will need bushes to adapt a later swingarm to your transmission, which are only available from limited outlets, including TT. Don't buy new cleve blocks, just to throw them away when you make your upgrade! If you need new cleve blocks, now is the time to bite the bullet and go the whole hog!

Old 05-05-2010 | 10:24 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Community Team

I'm in the process of replacing and upgrading my cleve blocks but cannot afford to upgrade the swing arm at this time with the wheel upgrades being the biggest stumbling block so I'm curious about the range of acceptable tolerances between the transmission and the new swing arm axle.
I didn't want to get into wheel/swingarm/brake changes either.

There are 2 easy ways to do it. One is the V-Twin Mfg kit # 44-0941 Debrix Cycle has them discounted online: http://www.debrix.com/Swing-Arm-1982...44-0941-vt.htm

It's $215 list price and has everything (more than you need) to convert yours to bearings. That's the way I went, but did buy new isolators made in USA from the dealer rather than use the ones included in the kit (origin unknown). It does NOT come with instructions but went together very easily with no headaches at all and it's almost like a different bike, handling-wise.

Another is the Custom Cycle Engineering conversion kit: http://www.ccesd.us/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=656

There's some cut-up, BS posts on this thread (self included) but maybe worth reading: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...-bushings.html

Also, yours already has the later pivot bolt rather than the old style 3-piece, so you wouldn't need to replace that part. And the photos were messed up on the CCE site just now, but may be back up by the time you check it out.

Old 05-06-2010 | 10:55 PM
FlyingFur
4th Gear

GRBrown,
Thanks for your experience and thoughts. I've made my decision on the upgrade parts but my question concerns the range of acceptable tolerances for the transmission boss and the swing arm axle. Did you come across any such information during your various stages of suspension improvements?

BTW, TT now sells a kit to tighten up the transmission boss but they haven't been able to provide actual measurements to me as of yet for a range of tolerances.

As always thank you!

Old 05-06-2010 | 11:00 PM
FlyingFur
4th Gear

t150vej,
Thank you, very helpful! As I asked the other forum member who responded, are there tolerances for the transmission boss and the axle? My original service manual is mum on this but it stands to reason a snug fit lessens vibration so when I'm in there in a few days, I'd like to know I've done all I can do for maximum improvement based upon my wallet.

Old 05-07-2010 | 02:04 AM
grbrown
Club Member

GRBrown,
Thanks for your experience and thoughts. I've made my decision on the upgrade parts but my question concerns the range of acceptable tolerances for the transmission boss and the swing arm axle. Did you come across any such information during your various stages of suspension improvements?

BTW, TT now sells a kit to tighten up the transmission boss but they haven't been able to provide actual measurements to me as of yet for a range of tolerances.

As always thank you!
I had a new swingarm axle with my TT kit, so didn't give that a thought. When modifying the TT brass bushes to fit my 2007 swingarm I called on the experience of my brother to supply them as a snug fit! He has the experience of making things go together. We set off tomorrow to Poland, so I can let you know how they work when we get back!

I have an old stock axle that is clean and measures .630, if that is any help. My modified TT bushes, before fitting:

Attached Thumbnails Upgrade swingarm-bronze-bushes_e.jpg  

Last edited by grbrown; 05-07-2010 at 02:08 AM.
Old 05-07-2010 | 05:26 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Community Team

t150vej,
Thank you, very helpful! As I asked the other forum member who responded, are there tolerances for the transmission boss and the axle? My original service manual is mum on this but it stands to reason a snug fit lessens vibration so when I'm in there in a few days, I'd like to know I've done all I can do for maximum improvement based upon my wallet.
There are no specs for that listed anywhere, and I have nothing "apart" at the moment, but if you will measure a wheel bearing I.D. and compare to the wheel axle, I would imagine that would give you a good idea for a boss clearance. Probably .002 - .005 I have the clevblocs in a trash can somewhere, I'll dig them out and measure to the old pivot bolt and get back with you, maybe that would help.

Last edited by t150vej; 05-07-2010 at 05:34 AM.
Old 05-07-2010 | 05:01 PM
FlyingFur
4th Gear

Originally Posted by grbrown
I had a new swingarm axle with my TT kit, so didn't give that a thought. When modifying the TT brass bushes to fit my 2007 swingarm I called on the experience of my brother to supply them as a snug fit! He has the experience of making things go together. We set off tomorrow to Poland, so I can let you know how they work when we get back!

I have an old stock axle that is clean and measures .630, if that is any help. My modified TT bushes, before fitting:
Thanks, that is very useful. My parts arrived today so hopefully within the next few days I'll have a tight, safe rear end--probably I won't know how to act! Hope you and your brother have a great and safe adventure!

Old 05-07-2010 | 05:10 PM
FlyingFur
4th Gear

Originally Posted by t150vej
There are no specs for that listed anywhere, and I have nothing "apart" at the moment, but if you will measure a wheel bearing I.D. and compare to the wheel axle, I would imagine that would give you a good idea for a boss clearance. Probably .002 - .005 I have the clevblocs in a trash can somewhere, I'll dig them out and measure to the old pivot bolt and get back with you, maybe that would help.
I think your .002-.005 sounds about right. I appreciate you're willingness to dig out the old cleveblocs but that's not necessary though you're very kind to offer this further assistance! My parts have arrived so after this weekend I'll be stripping down, pressing, replacing, and re-assembling my rear end. Probably pack those rear wheel bearing too just for good measure. Still need to get some anti-seize and de-greaser and then I'm off to the races so to speak! Now if only this scooter had some lean angles to allow me to use all that hp and torque I've made with this rebuilt. . .wouldn't that be great!

Thanks for your feedback!

Old 05-07-2010 | 05:14 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Thanks, that is very useful. My parts arrived today so hopefully within the next few days I'll have a tight, safe rear end--probably I won't know how to act! Hope you and your brother have a great and safe adventure!
Many thanks. Just signing off for an early night and early start tomorrow. Bike all packed up, tyres pumped up, gas tank full. Just hoping the forecast rain stays away! Back in two weeks to see how you get on.

Old 05-07-2010 | 09:06 PM
Charlie Bone
Advanced

For what its worth, there is .005 clearance between the spacers and new pivot bolt that came in the CCE kit. Doesn’t answer your question about the transmission boss clearance but it should be the same I’m guessing.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Upgrade swingarm