EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Upgrade swingarm

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010 | 04:03 PM
Charlie Bone
Advanced

Rufus,

Do you have the part numbers for the stock Harley parts you referenced??

Thanks

Old 04-27-2010 | 04:46 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by Charlie Bone
Rufus,

Thanks
No I don't Charlie. I looked all the prices up on BikeBandit.com They have the photos, and their prices are generally right with HD, but their part numbers are unique to their system which doesn't match OEM.

I'd be glad to go by the dealer tomorrow and write them down for everyone though. No way in hell I'm going to the twinkie section of the forum and ask for anything like that

Old 04-28-2010 | 04:21 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by Charlie Bone
Rufus,

Thanks
(2) Spacer, Inner 48489-02
(2) Spacer, outer 48487-02
(2) Bearing 9208
(2) Isolator 47564-86B

Bearing is 29.95 currently, 6.00 is still correct for the spacers and I didn't ask about the other prices or get a part number for the end nuts since they're common. The shaft and spacers are of course for the later 3/4" pivot arrangement. The washers are the special "cupped" version for the shaft. A new shaft for the older 5/8" comes with a washer and nut welded to one end already - not sure about the 3/4 though.

Edit: deleted (1) Shaft 47505-02 and (2) Washer 47491-02A because they are for the 3/4" shaft and we were dealing with a conversion to a 5/8" shaft

Last edited by t150vej; 04-28-2010 at 07:34 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-28-2010 | 05:29 PM
Charlie Bone
Advanced

Wait….you went in a Harley shop looking for part numbers and they actually gave you just the part numbers…and let you walk out? That won’t happen around here, they don’t give out part numbers unless it’s on the over priced package you just purchased. And around here its best to go in with part number in hand to avoid the tilted head, blank stare followed by the automatic “that’s too old” response. Of course the auto response comes out before a book is ever opened or computer keyboard is touched. But if you want a latest and greatest chrome do-dad, T-shirt, collector plates, HD cuff links, or a little doggy chew toy…..then everyone’s welcome!!

Thank you Rufus for getting this info….at $6 a spacer it’s not even worth making your own. Sleeve it and go. I only wish I knew all this a month or so ago. Anyone interested in an over priced after market late model swingarm retrofit kit?? It comes with red loctite!

Old 04-28-2010 | 07:28 PM
EVOrider
|
Stellar HDF Member

Good stuff.....just pickup all the required stuff. Install a sleeve into the spacer. Sounds simple enough.....of those parts listed, the spacer is the only item needing modified?

Way much less expensive than their kits they advertise.

Old 04-28-2010 | 08:44 PM
Charlie Bone
Advanced

All 4 spacers listed will need to be sleeved. And CCE offers a newer style, 5/8ths pivot shaft, supplied with the 2 nuts and 2 cup washers. I think it was $30 plus shipping. That is the only part of the kit I used. The rest is going on Ebay...

Old 05-02-2010 | 11:09 PM
johnnyQ
Advanced

I've been gathering the parts for this conversion as well for almost a year now. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Previously upgraded to 2000+ wheels both front and back. As far as the front wheel speedo issue, I had a machinest friend cut the speedo down to 7/8.

Last edited by johnnyQ; 05-02-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2010 | 01:23 AM
EVOrider
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by johnnyQ
I've been gathering the parts for this conversion as well for almost a year now. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Previously upgraded to 2000+ wheels both front and back. As far as the front wheel speedo issue, I had a machinest friend cut the speedo down to 7/8.
Yea, I am still looking for the drive belt and swingarm bearings plus the spacers. This is all what is needed at this point.

I've not started collecting the parts for the front just yet......

Old 05-04-2010 | 04:33 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by EVOrider
I've not started collecting the parts for the front just yet......
I found doing the rear end was enough for the time being. Perhaps look at my front end next winter!

Old 05-05-2010 | 08:33 AM
FlyingFur
4th Gear
Default Swing Arm Tolerances

I'm in the process of replacing and upgrading my cleve blocks but cannot afford to upgrade the swing arm at this time with the wheel upgrades being the biggest stumbling block so I'm curious about the range of acceptable tolerances between the transmission and the new swing arm axle.

I've searched posts here and other forums where I've learned a great deal from my fellow amateur wrenches but (unless I just missed the info) I haven't found any information on this--my dog-eared shop manual has no information on the topic.

I have a 1991 FLHS so any feedback would be helpful. Many thanks to all who have posted here over the years, this forum has been a great learning tool!

Quick Reply: Upgrade swingarm