EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Upgrade swingarm

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010 | 05:19 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Default Just a little pacience

The job you are asking is cheap and easy. I thought about your problem for a while today and searched my mind. How about this Grasshopper:

1. Go look at your pulley side and notice the spokes (holes on newer wheels). I am thinking you already changed out your swing arm,
  2. Manufacture a bracket to mount this sensor pointing to the pulley. Of course you would need a standard aluminum. Drill and tap for a ferrous (magnetic) small flat head Alan head countersunk bolt (#6) into the corresponding radius of the small sender.
  3. As the bolt spins around riding with the aluminum pulley, the sensor picks up the pulse of the bolt.
  4. The new style aftermarket electronically driven style spedo is fed the info.
  5. You calibrate the spedo by looking for the mile posts and setting it up by pressing the button. @ the end of the mile you press the button again, done! LINKY
Next case

Old 04-18-2010 | 08:37 PM
EVOrider
|
Stellar HDF Member

I've started by collecting and searching.....so far, I have come up with a 2007 swingarm. I am debating if I should try to use a 2008 wheel or use 2007 below wheel. The 2007 and 2008 swingarm are the same....but the wheels are definately different. Are there any benefits in using 2008 wheel over the older type.

Thanks

Old 04-19-2010 | 05:09 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by EVOrider
I've started by collecting and searching.....so far, I have come up with a 2007 swingarm. I am debating if I should try to use a 2008 wheel or use 2007 below wheel. The 2007 and 2008 swingarm are the same....but the wheels are definately different. Are there any benefits in using 2008 wheel over the older type.

Thanks
I am not sure about the different year wheels. I played safe and used a 2005 wheel rather than a later one. I believe the 2008 uses metric 25mm bearings, while the 2002-07 use 1", but are otherwise interchangeable. All those years use a monster 36mm spanner/wrench for the axle! I also understand the 07 swingarm is in some way better than 02-06, but I'm not sure why.

Old 04-22-2010 | 04:03 PM
EVOrider
|
Stellar HDF Member

I have swingarm, wheel with tire, bearings, pulley, and disc...as well as the caliper and axle. However, I still don't have the belt and the bushings for the swingarm.

Will my current pulley work if machined.....to avoid buying a belt? Or should I use the opportunity to upgrade so I could a more selection of tires?

What bushings are recommended? The Stabo and that other company is really expensive in my opinion. Was wondering if anyone here has machined their own for the swingarm pivot? Any opinions are welcomed....

Thanks

Old 04-22-2010 | 04:27 PM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by EVOrider
I have swingarm, wheel with tire, bearings, pulley, and disc...as well as the caliper and axle. However, I still don't have the belt and the bushings for the swingarm.

Will my current pulley work if machined.....to avoid buying a belt? Or should I use the opportunity to upgrade so I could a more selection of tires?

What bushings are recommended? The Stabo and that other company is really expensive in my opinion. Was wondering if anyone here has machined their own for the swingarm pivot? Any opinions are welcomed....

Thanks
I machined out the centre of my original pulley to fit the later wheel. What I found is that is does not stand as far off the hub as the later narrow pulley. If you are using an MT/130 or MU/140 tyre it will probably be OK. I fitted a 150 and needed the extra room the narrow pulley gave me, so didn't use the old pulley. I later found I needed a longer belt anyway!

The new swingarm is longer and your new wheel will be set about 3/8" further back in the bike, so you will need a 3T longer belt. Even if you use your old pulley you will still need a new belt.

I used my old True-Track bushings and machined them to fit the new swingarm. Other than StaBo, Motorcycle Metal and TT I don't know of any other bushings available. If you study the three websites you can probably work out the dimensions to make your own. The TT are solid brass or bronze.

Old 04-22-2010 | 04:48 PM
EVOrider
|
Stellar HDF Member

Ok, then I will go ahead and locate the correct belt. My transmission pulley is a 34T and the wheel pulley is a 70T. My transmission pulley is the 1.5 inch and the rear pulley is much narrower. All the parts are from a 2005 model, swingarm being the 2007 model.

My current belt is 139T I believe...stock setup on the 1998 model. A belt from a 2003-2007 touring model should work right? Or do I need to find a narrow 142T belt?

So, what belt should I get?
Reuse my 34T transmission pulley?

Appreciate your help much

Old 04-22-2010 | 05:00 PM
EVOrider
|
Stellar HDF Member

The 1998 model uses the 139T belt.
The 2005 model uses the 139T bet.....narrow.
Both bikes are equipped with 70T wheel pulley and 32T tranmission pulley.
My bike has a 34T transmission pulley.

Is there something different about the EVO transmission that requires me to get a longer belt than the 139T?

Old 04-22-2010 | 05:05 PM
Charlie Bone
Advanced

I've got a 2002 swingarm, wheel, and sprocket fitted to my 1998 and the belt (139 tooth) fits fine?? There is a stock (at least for the states) 32 tooth drive sprocket on the trans. Maybe the belt size issues Graham had was from a swingarm changed made prior to 1998? Or maybe Harley geared things differently for Europe?? When I read his original post about the 3 additional teeth needed I was a little nervous (had all ready ordered my belt) but once I got everything installed mine all fit.

As far as bushings, I would simply copy the original 2002 and up Harley bushing/spacers but machine the center hole to 5/8ths” (.630). That’s all CCE did. I purchased one of their kits and once I learned what was going on I machined my own set and plan on selling that CCE kit.

Old 04-22-2010 | 06:00 PM
EVOrider
|
Stellar HDF Member

Thank for clearing up the belt issue....I just didn't want to jump into it and have the wrong belt.

I did not get anything with the 2007 swingarm other than the belt guard. The least expensive route is to just purchase the Harley bushings/spacers from 2002-up? Then just machine the center hole to 5/8ths? If that is the case, CCE and other companies are making a killing on people.

Thanks again, EVO section is always the most informative and most friendly on Harley forums. That itself is another reason I ride all EVO bikes.

Old 04-23-2010 | 02:19 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Charlie Bone
I've got a 2002 swingarm, wheel, and sprocket fitted to my 1998 and the belt (139 tooth) fits fine?? There is a stock (at least for the states) 32 tooth drive sprocket on the trans. Maybe the belt size issues Graham had was from a swingarm changed made prior to 1998? Or maybe Harley geared things differently for Europe?? When I read his original post about the 3 additional teeth needed I was a little nervous (had all ready ordered my belt) but once I got everything installed mine all fit.
Charlie,

My bike is 1990 and I fitted a 2007 swingarm, which is about 3/8" longer than the original. I fitted a 70T pulley which uses a 139T. Stock belt for a 1990 bike is 136T.

My bike is an International spec, which originally came with a 61T pulley (even shorter belt!) which I tried to get in and changed to the 70T for the better gearing. My transmission is also 32T, so my bike now has stock US spec gearing for the year.

Quick Reply: Upgrade swingarm